23 August 2010

image

You can read all the previous Top 10 Lists HERE

Favorite Features From Other Bloggers

These are the posts that get me excited when I see them in my Reader.  All of these sites are book blogs that either focus primarily on, or prominently feature, the paranormal genres.  A few are weekly, others monthly, but all are the regular posts that I love and you should too:

image

1. The Urban Fantasy Weekend Report at SciFi Guy

This is the post that really made me decide to start my own blog.  I was reading it for months before I finally got the nerve.  Doug jam packs these posts with cover reveals, author/book news, interview links, excerpt posts, giveaways, and a million other things that paranormal fans need to know.  Doug has been dealing with some health issues lately so his weekend reports have been a little sporadic, but Doug says he’s on the mend and hopefully we’ll be getting more weekend reports soon.

image

2. News at Dirty Sexy Books

imageNews is a pour title for these posts, but Rebecca never calls them the same thing twice (a recent News post was called: “More Mambo, Weird Western, Not-So-Young Adult Fan, Short Were Tale, WWAD?, and the Invasion of the Smart Chicks”), so News it is. As her graphic says, these posts are made up of Book News, Movie Gossip, New Releases, & Total Garbage.  What is really great about these posts, more so that the interesting news that Rebecca finds, is the truly hilarious & snarky way she delivers everything.  Rebecca never minces words in these posts (not in her reviews either) and that why Dirty Sexy Books is one my favorite book sites.   


image

3. Escapist Newsletter at Literary Escapism

Similar to Doug’s Urban Fantasy Weekend Report, but somehow Jackie and Doug’s posts compliment rather than compete with one another.  Jackie’s newsletter has it all for the fantasy and paranormal genre lover: New releases, breaking book/author/blogging news, events, giveaways, and the most comprehensive cover reveals and interview lists of any other site.  Literary Escapism is one of the BIG book review sites, but Jackie gives everything a personal touch that makes every post feel like it came from a friend.

 
image

4. Win on Wednesday at Not-Really-Southern Vamp Chick

Okay, I realize that I started this post on my own site, but Amanda has done a great job of taking over the feature when I had to stop doing it.  Win on Wednesday is a comprehensive list of all the giveaways (mostly paranormal books) from the week. I know exactly how much work is involved with putting together this post and I so appreciate it.  I never have to worry about missing a giveaway again.


image

5. Tweet News at Wastepaper Prose

I’ll admit, I still don’t fully get Twitter, and because of that I know I miss a ton of great info, or at least I used too until I found S. F.’s awesome Tweet News. She posts a collection of all the best author/book news from Twitter.  It’s mostly YA news, but if you’re not on Twitter, or like me you miss way too much on Twitter, you need to check out these posts. 

I'm collecting newsy bookish tweets for this new feature I've started, so please feel free to @reply me on Twitter with links to newsworthy tweets so I can include them. So, what did you miss on Twitter this week?


image

6. Dear Story Siren at The Story Siren

There is a reason The Story Siren is the biggest YA blog out there.  Kristi was one of the pioneers of the book blogging phenomenon and she knows her stuff.  Better still, she shares her not inconsiderable knowledge in her Ask Story Siren feature.  I’ve submitted a question or two in the past and Kristi is always gracious and detailed in the advice she dispenses.  Even after nearly a year of blogging, I always learn something new.  Stop by and ask your own question :)


image

7.Design It Up  at The Neverending Shelf

Want to know how to add a drop down navigation menu to your blog? Add a custom signature to your posts? Change your favicon? Add a blog button grab box? Then you will love Kate’s Design It Up posts.  She covers tons of the design & HTML tweeks that bloggers always want to know about with super simple tutorials, examples and explanations ranging from the easiest tips, to the more complex coding, and everything in between.  I’ve implemented a number of her design tips and have had great success. If there is something you’ve been wanting to change about your blog, chances are good that Kate can tell you how.

image

8. Publishing News: Books to Watch at Dark Faerie Tales

imageThere are few things more thrilling to a book lover than finding out about a new book you want to read.  Enter Angela’s Publishing News posts.  No one is more on top of book deals and publishing news than Angela.  She’ll tell you which of your favorite authors have sold new books, which publishing houses have contracted new authors, when they will be published and usually tantalizing plot synopsizes too. If you like being among the first to know in book news, this is the post for you.


image
9. WTFckery Or Not? You Decide at BABBLING ABOUT BOOKS, AND MORE!

I found Katie’s blog after reading her scathing review that echoed my thoughts exactly for the worst book I have ever reviewed on my site (if I’d had a review system in place then it would have earned 1 bat).  I started following her blog and quickly discovered her awesome regular round up of disturbingly funny cover art, bizarre products, spoof videos, and more!  Sick, often twisted, but always entertaining.  I love these posts.

image

10. Guest Dare at The Book Smugglers

Thea and Ana have one of the best, most informative, and comprehensive book review sites around.  They have a number of fantastic features, but my favorite is the Guest Dare:

Welcome to guest dare! For those new to the feature, our Guest Dare is a monthly endeavor in which we invite an unsuspecting victim to read a book totally outside of their comfort zone. You can read all previous Dare posts HERE.

It is great to get a totally fresh opinion on the genres that many of us read exclusively.  We tend to gloss over the weak points and overlook the truly amazing aspects of the genre.  In Guest Dares, I get a unique opinion that is unlike any other review.  Sometimes funny, other times insightful, always fun, I wouldn’t mind getting Dared myself :)


So those are my Top 10 Favorite Features From Other Bloggers.  Did I mention your favorites?  Got any that should have made the list?  Make your case in the comments.

20 comments:

  1. LOVE this - such great features, some I know about and love others I did not and have to be on the look out for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Some of these I am familiar with (SciFi, Literary and DFT, TSS, TBS). The others I am not. so thanks for links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DONE!

    Your wish is our command. Send us an email to contact@thebooksmugglers.com
    telling us which genres or authors you avoid the most and you shall be dared!

    ; )

    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you kindly for the shout out Abigail. I kind of got out of the habit of doing news every Friday, but it's back by popular demand!

    It looks like you've having fun doing these top ten lists. I hope you're going to be naughty and do a top ten best sex scenes list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! Scary that I could create an actual blog dedicated to all the WTFckery out there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Book Crazy Jenn - I had to narrow my favs down to ten. It is so easy for bloggers to just get stuck in meme after meme, that I appreciate all the more the bloggers who consistently post new content.

    Elie - Awesome. These are all good blogs & I'm glad to be able to turn new people on to them :)

    Ana - Awesome I'm equal parts nervous/excited :) I'm emailing you now.

    Rebecca - I'm thrilled your bringing them back. I wasn't surprised at all to hear that you double your traffic on News days. It's good stuff!

    Top 10 sex scenes? Hmmm. You and Mandy@Smexy books already do those pretty well, but I might do a Top 10 worst sex scenes....Oh I like that idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katiebabs - I love your WTFckery posts. People are seriously messed up :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the heads up on a ton of great sites :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a freaggin' awesome list! added some blogs to my reader! these are great features and of course I'm flattered that you included The Story Siren!

    Love this! (and totally not just because you listed me!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharon - You bet! I hope you find some new sites to stalk :)

    Kristi - Thank you! I'm a long time fan of The Story Siren and the Ask feature is great. I hope you keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for featuring me! I am totally humbled and honored by your kind words. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic Post! Have found a few new features to check out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Juju- Glad you think so too :)

    Kate - Of course. Your design feature is one of the best!

    Spellboundbybooks - awesome! Hope you find a few new blogs to follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing the awesome blogging features! Found some fun new sites to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shera - Oh good. I really hoped more bloggers would enjoy these features :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a big book review site? I'm not sure I would agree with that, but I'll take it. *grin*

    This is a fabulous list. I've been missing Doug's Reports myself. It is freaky how we have managed not to compete without any kind of collaboration.

    So that's where the Win on Wednesday feature went. I was wondering what happened to it. It looks like I'll be checking out a new site.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jackie - I didn't mean like Bitten By Books big, but bigger than most. And in a good way :)

    I do really hope Doug's reports come back, but I know he took a hit, health-wise, so I'm just glad he didn't give up the blog entirely.

    And I had to stop the Win on Wed posts. I was going slightly crazy and even contemplated quitting, but then I realized that that post was the one sucking the joy out of blogging for me, so I officially passed it on. I wish I'd done it sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooo! Loving this blog. How am I just now finding it?

    Wondering if you have run reviews about Elle Jasper's Afterlight or Bitten in Two by Jennifer Rardin?

    P.S. Love the design of this page.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Leah - I'm reading AFTERLIGHT right now. My review should be up soon :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About ATUF

Started in 2009, All Things Urban Fantasy is the place 'Where Para is Normal'. This your one stop for all things Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Paranormal YA, & select Speculative Fiction titles (Dystopian and Steampunk etc.). Want to know more about ATUF? Read the About page.

If you are an author, publisher, or publicist that would like a book reviewed on this site please Request a Review. All inquires are welcome.

Interviews? Guest blogs? Giveaways? Book Tours? Promotion of any kind? Contact us

Follow ATUF

Current Giveaways

Mouseover for details & click to enter giveaway

More coming soon

See our Giveaway Policy

Upcoming Guests

Want to be a guest? Fill out our Guest Request Form

Recent Comments

Grab Our Button

All Things Urban Fantasy

Sites & Info

Blog Archive

Labels

Copyright Text