Whoo hoo! It’s the first of my Top 10 List posts! I’ve got a crazy long list of future Top 10 Lists to come (feel free to Contact me if you have an idea for a Top 10 List), but I knew without a doubt that my first list would have to be Urban Fantasy pet peeves. I was going to launch this on my own site, but when Jackie from Literary Escapism asked me to guest blog for her when she was due to deliver her baby, I thought this would be perfect. I will give you a teaser though:
1. Sex breaks, not sex scenes
Defined as:
Sex breaks are when two characters inexplicably stop in the middle of the story, often during time sensitive dire situations, to have sex. Sex breaks are rarely isolated incidents, if one occurs you can typically expect two or more to follow. Sex breaks are easily distinguished from sex scenes in that they neither contribute to the development of the characters involved nor do they advance the plot of the book.
- An exaggerated example from the totally-made-up-not-an-actual-book: "Fangs with Dick and Jane" (as if you needed further proof as to why I’m not an author):
Dick gazed at Jane with naked desire on his face, "Jane, baby, I know that even as I speak the vampires are closing in on the children's orphanage/blind puppy shelter, but a man can only take so much." He eyed the backseat of the car significantly…
To learn the fate of the orphanage/blind puppy shelter and the rest of my Urban Fantasy pet peeves, you’ll have to check out Literary Escapism.




















I also hate sex breaks, in fact I specifically look for UF books that have minimal sex in them, which is why I love your blog so much because you always post the sexual content of a book in the review. I don't have anything against sex in books, but I hate it when it doesn't have anything to do with the storyline.
ReplyDeleteOkay I have to go check out the rest of the list, but so far I agree whole-heartedly.
ReplyDeleteLol! You completely made me crack up! I'm heading over to check out the rest of the list! :)
ReplyDeleteThose pet peeves were hysterical! And so true! Great blog, I think you should be an author, puppies & orphans? Who could beat that...
ReplyDeleteYes there is nothing like being in the middle of a fight for your life and yet having a "quickie", really makes you wish the bad guy would just go ahead and kill the idiots because they kinda deserve it!!!
ReplyDeleteI love pet peeve lists, am heading over to Jackie's in a bit to check out the rest of them Abigail...
(Gotta take a potty break just in case first)
jackie ^_^
Rebs - I'm glad you like that part of my reviews. I think it gives people a heads up so they can decide for themselves. And I share your hate of sex breaks :)
ReplyDeleteCarolsnotebook - Let me know if you have some that I missed :)
Natalie - The sad part is that I read books that are dangerously close to Fangs with Dick and Jane.
Lizzieluv - They were actually blind puppies :) Yeah, I don't do subtle.
Jackie b - Right!? I lose all respect for the characters when they do that.
This really bothers me too! Do you know what it reminds me of? I was watching an old 80's movie with the director commentary on, and everytime an exposed breast came on screen, she said that she was given a quota of how many exposed breasts need to be in the movie. I believe it was something like 3. But, whenever you saw one it was forced and out of place lol.
ReplyDeleteAnyways, I hate when books do this, I mean, I don't mind a sex scene, not at all, but right in the middle of something important? not cool.
Sarah - Yep. Same principle I think. Regardless of the medium, it's not cool.
ReplyDelete