06 August 2010

How I Blog: Ode to Windows Live Writer

 image

Kristi from The Story Siren has her Dear Story Siren posts where she shares her extensive blogging knowledge by answering questions from bloggers.  Rachel from Parajunkee’s View has her Book Blogging 101 posts where she covers all sorts of blogging basics.  Inspired by their efforts, I’m launching my own blogging advice feature called How I Blog

Believe it or not, I actually do get the occasional email from bloggers asking how I handle various blog related details.  I basically give out the same advice, recommend the same tools, and explain the same protocols every time.  My way may not always be the best way, but I have discovered a number of useful tips and tricks gleaned from other bloggers and my own experience that I feel compelled to share including (in no particular order):

How I…

  • Build my posts
  • Handle interviews & guest blogs
  • Review
  • Acquire ARCs
  • Run giveaways
  • Manage time
  • Use blog design
  • Schedule
  • Utilize the best plug-ins & tools
  • Approach collaborations
  • Work with publishers, publicists, and authors

And probably more.  I have no set schedule for these posts, they will pop up whenever I have an opening in the schedule or receive a specific request/question, so feel free to contact me if there is a topic you want me to cover.   The first How I Blog topic was a no-brainer.  It’s my absolute favorite blogging tool.  I use  it for every single post I build including this one:

Windows Live Writer

“Windows Live Writer, developed by Microsoft, is a desktop blog-publishing application that is part of the Windows Live range of products. It features WYSIWYG authoring, photo-publishing and map-publishing functionality, and is currently compatible with Windows Live Spaces, SharePoint blogs, Blogger, LiveJournal, TypePad, Wordpress, Telligent Community, PBlogs.gr, JournalHome, the MetaWeblog API, the Movable Type API, Blogengine and all blogs that support RSD (Really Simple Discoverability).” – Wikipedia

image

Basically, Windows Live Writer is a free downloadable program that bloggers can use to build posts, save drafts, and publish posts.  There are tons of reasons why I love this program:

What you see is what you get (WYSIWYG)

image

  • Writer lets to build your posts with a WYSIWYG editor.  If you’re completely HTML challenged, you can use writer just like you would a Word program. If you like to edit HTML, it also lets view and edit the source code.
  • You can change font, size, color, bold, italicize, underline, strikethrough
  • Easily adjust spacing, and headlines.
  • Add numbering, bullets, or block quotes. 
  • Insert hyperlinks, pictures, tables, and videos.  If you’ve ever struggled with embedded videos that  were too wide, Writer automatically sizes them for you:

image

Preview your posts before you publish

Using a feature called theme detection (View>Refresh Theme), Writer can show you a preview of what your post will look like before you post it. This is super helpful when dealing with images and spacing.

image

Customize Writer with plug-ins

My favorite thing about Writer is the plug-ins. (Tools>Options>Plug-ins)There are over 150+ plug-ins available.  Here are my favorites:

image

  • Template Plugin – (Insert>Template) Best. Plug-in. Ever.  Do you post the same kind of posts each week?  Do you format them the same way each time?  Even if you just set up a Review template like mine below you will save tons of time:image  
  • Title Link - (Insert>Title Link) You copy a link, for example: http://allthingsurbanfantasy.blogspot.com/2009/09/my-review-policy.html and it turns into: All Things Urban Fantasy: My Review Policy. I lived for this plug-in when I did my Win on Wednesday posts and I still use it all the time.
  • Amazon Book Linker - (Insert> Amazon Book Linker) This is another time saver.  With one click you can add the picture and info for any book on Amazon. It’s fully customizable with HTML to include whatever details you like, and you can even set it up to automatically use your Amazon Associates ID in the link. Now if only it worked with Book Depository…image

Lots More

There many more helpful features in Writer. The longer I use it, the more I discover.  Do yourself a favor and try it.  You can download it HERE

28 comments:

  1. Ooohhhh most interesting!! ive seen some bloggers talk about using this, i get so frustrated when blogger changes things without prompting, i think i need to try this.

    thanks for the great info =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thank you so much for this detailed explanation Abigail! I kept hearing how many bloggers simply LOVEd this program but had no idea what it was and how it worked, thanks for the introduction, I'll download it and will try ym way with it :-) THanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abigail! I can't express how awesome you are for letting me in on this software! I had NO clue it existed and I am downloading it as we speak. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, you have NO idea how much easier you made my blogging life! I manage 3 blogs and I always have problems with spacing in Blogger, and have to go into the HTML and clean it up. It is SUCH a time waster, and I don't have the time to waste! Freakin so cool. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been using WLW for a couple of years now and I don't ever want to blog without it! It's the best blogging software ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That was a great tutorial! I've known that this exists, but as far as I know it can't be used on Mac's. *boo's* Blogger can get sooo frustrating! I also haven't come across anything like WLW for Mac's except for the Adobe software that you have to purchase that costs over a hundred dollars. Meh.

    I love your idea of random posts with helpful tips! I'll be looking forward to them!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice post. I've been considering trying out the Microsoft word 2007 "post blog" feature for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did I not know about this?! Of course, it's not available for Mac's, but I can do it on my desktop for sure. This is wonderful, THANK YOU!

    I know a lot about html, but it's so much easier just to have something else write the code for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tool suggestion I am going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How did I not know about this? Thanks for the heads up and the wonderful tutorial. I'm downloading it NOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. Thanks for being so insightful. I plan on downloading the Windows program. Happy Reading!!!
    See ya!
    Readaholics Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the share, this sounds really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...count me as another who didn't know this existed and let me just say THANK YOU for sharing the info, I'm gonna download it now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard of this before but never knew how awesome it was until now! Thank you! ***runs off to download it now!***

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've only just recently started using WLW - probably been using it for a couple of months now. Fiction Vixen recommended it to me and I will never use Blogger again to post. Every time I see someone tweet about Blogger giving them trouble, I recommend they look into WLW.

    So far, the only plug-ins I use is the Dynamic Template (love this!) and the Twitter Notify. I use DT for my review posts, giveaway posts and meme's. Time saver!!

    I am going to check out the Amazon Book Linker plug-in :)

    I love your "How I Blog" feature. I also read The Story Siren's and Parajunkee's feature as well as they provide a lot of great insight.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow- I am looking forward to this feature!!=)

    Ohh- I just read and reviewed Magic Bites this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sparklybearsy - I could never stand the post builder that blogger provides. WLW is a dream. I don't know why any PC blogger would use anything else.

    Stella - It is very easy to use. I had problem picking it up.

    Smash Attack - That's how I felt when I first tried it. I don't remember where I heard about it first, but everyone should know how easy/great it it. And 3 blogs? Yikes. You need all the time savers you can get :)

    Fiction Vixen - I feel the same way.

    Tanya - I didn't realize it wasn't available on Mac but I guess that makes sense. Hopefully they are developing something similar (and free). And I'm glad you like this new feature. I'm already working on a where to get ARCs post next :)

    Holly - Let me know how it compares. I haven't upgraded to Office 2007, but I'd be curious to see how that feature works.

    Emily - I know! I didn't discover it for months after starting my blog and felt the same way. Awesome, isn't it?

    Book Guru - Let me know how it works for you.

    Marq - Spread the word. WLW is amazing!

    Dana - You'll love it :)

    Shera - It is a HUGE time saver. I wouldn't be able to do half as much without it.

    Vampires and Tofu - I still can't believe how few bloggers know about it. We need to spread the word :)

    Emily - Yea! I know my Reader is going to be full of theme detection posts from all the new WLW users :)

    Book Vixen - Me too. Blogger is such a pain. I hated it. I use DT for my templates too. And I just added the Zemanta plug in. It has promise. I'm planning another WLW post where I explain that one more.

    Chas - Great! I hope you love it, and I know you loved Magic Bites :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is great!!
    I'm trying to get it all figured out, and I am lost on the template feature.
    I might be trying to get it to do more than it can though....
    Would I be able to get your help for a bit at some point?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Natasha - A lot of people have emailed be with questions about the template plug-in. I'm planning a follow up post to address them in detail :) But you can always contact me too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm confused...you can't already do this with Blogger? There's nothing in WLW that I can't already do in WordPress. Well, maybe the template design, but one feature out of all the ones you mentioned...not worth it for me.

    For those of us who are unenlightening...what's the difference between WLW and the editing tools in WordPress/Blogger?

    *caveat - I will admit that I am a huge WP fan and only used Blogger for about a month before I seriously started working on LE.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, I will admit it...I can be a WP snob at times. For me, WP just comes off way more professionally than Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jackie - The default blogger post editor is severely limited. WLW opens up more of the features that wordpress users have access too. Plus its a free program. So win-win :)

    I'm not on wordpress, so I don't know exactly what the editing tools are like, but for blogger, WLW is so helpful.

    WP is very tempting because of how professional it is and customizable options. If I make enough $ from bookdepository I'm probably going to take the plunge :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ahhh...yeah, that was one of the reasons I left Blogger when I decided to commit so much to LE. How is it that it doesn't let you schedule posts?!

    You do realize the .org and installed versions of WP are free and my domain name place is only $10 a year, right? Unless you're thinking of hosting services. Yeah, that's the only thing that truly sucks about WP installed - paying for the hosting. *frowns*

    Although, SciFiGuy brought up a good point during the conference this weekend. Since Blogger is apart of the Google family, they tend to spider through Blogger before any other blogs out there.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jackie - Blogger does let you set posts the post at future dates, but you can't get a link until its live. I hate that.

    I know the .org is free on wordpress, but I would want my own domain if I switched so its the hosting fee that has me holding back right now.

    And I think Doug has a point too. Decisions, decisions....:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. If you do decide to get your own domain - gopedro.net. Totally a great guy. Yes...I have to promote my own place. *grin* And if he gives you any problems, let me know. The hubby and Pedro are tech buddies, Jesse will give him hell for ya. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jackie - Thank you! I'll do that.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't think this is available for mac. Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Steph - Yeah, it does appear that Mac folks are left out for know. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About ATUF

Started in 2009, All Things Urban Fantasy is the place 'Where Para is Normal'. This your one stop for all things Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Paranormal YA, & select Speculative Fiction titles (Dystopian and Steampunk etc.). Want to know more about ATUF? Read the About page.

If you are an author, publisher, or publicist that would like a book reviewed on this site please Request a Review. All inquires are welcome.

Interviews? Guest blogs? Giveaways? Book Tours? Promotion of any kind? Contact us

Follow ATUF

Current Giveaways

Mouseover for details & click to enter giveaway

More coming soon

See our Giveaway Policy

Upcoming Guests

Want to be a guest? Fill out our Guest Request Form

Recent Comments

Grab Our Button

All Things Urban Fantasy

Sites & Info

Blog Archive

Labels

Copyright Text