The aptly named people from Wunderkind PR are offering a copy of Marjorie M. Liu’s third Hunter Kiss novel, A WILD LIGHT, to one commenter. See details below.
Have you read any of the previous Hunter Kiss books? Here is the official series concept in a nutshell:
The Hunter Kiss series is about the last living demon hunter on earth -- a woman covered in living tattoos that peel off her body at night to form her own personal demonic army -- an army that is her only family, dedicated to saving her life -- and destined to end it.
If you read paranormal fiction on a regular basis, you know Liu is not alone in prominently featuring body art in her stories. Here are a few other books where tattoos play a vital role:
| Title | Description |
The Iron Witch Publication date: February 1, 2011 | Freak. That’s what they called seventeen year-old Donna Underwood in high school after a horrific fey attack that killed her father when she was just a child. Her injuries and rehabilitation resulted in magically enhanced strength, thanks to the iron tattoos branding her hands and arms. As a child of the alchemists, she is both blessed and cursed with a magical heritage that permeates her life with duty and sacrifice. Now, after ten years of wishing for a normal life, she finally has to accept her role in the centuries-old war against the darkest outcasts of Faerie: the Dark Elves. Aided by a gorgeous half-fey dropout, Donna must race to save her best friend’s life – even if it means betraying the secret of immortality and confronting the very thing that destroyed her family. |
|
Inked (anthology) Publication date: March 4, 2010 | Four tales of urban fantasy and paranormal romance explore body art that is more than it seems—in a world of magic and mayhem that always leaves it mark . . . This captivating tattoo theme surrounds each author's popular characters and worlds: Karen Chance's war mage Lia de Croissets, Marjorie M. Liu's demon-hunter Maxine Kiss, Yasmine Galenorn's Otherworld Intelligence Agency operative Camille D'Artigo, and Eileen Wilk's Lupi world. |
Ink Exchange Publication date: April 2, 2009 | Unbeknownst to mortals, a power struggle is unfolding in a world of shadows and danger. After centuries of stability, the balance among the Faery Courts has altered, and Irial, ruler of the Dark Court, is battling to hold his rebellious and newly vulnerable fey together. If he fails, bloodshed and brutality will follow. Seventeen-year-old Leslie knows nothing of faeries or their intrigues. When she is attracted to an eerily beautiful tattoo of eyes and wings, all she knows is that she has to have it, convinced it is a tangible symbol of changes she desperately craves for her own life. The tattoo does bring changes—not the kind Leslie has dreamed of, but sinister, compelling changes that are more than symbolic. Those changes will bind Leslie and Irial together, drawing Leslie deeper and deeper into the faery world, unable to resist its allures, and helpless to withstand its perils. . . . |
|
Unholy Ghosts Publication date: May 25, 2010 | THE AFTERLIFE IS ONLY THE BEGINNING. The world is not the way it was. The dead have risen and constantly attack the living. The powerful Church of Real Truth, in charge since the government fell, has sworn to reimburse citizens being harassed by the deceased. Consequently, there are many false claims of hauntings from those hoping to profit. Enter Chess Putnam, a fully-tattooed witch and freewheeling Debunker and ghost hunter. She’s got a real talent for nailing the human liars or banishing the wicked dead. But she’s keeping a dark secret from the Church: a little drug problem that’s landed her in hot and dangerous water. Chess owes a murderous drug lord named Bump a lot of money. And Bump wants immediate payback. All Chess has to do is dispatch a very nasty species of undead from an old airport. But the job involves black magic, human sacrifice, a nefarious demonic creature, and crossing swords with enough wicked energy to wipe out a city of souls. Toss in lust with a rival gang leader and a dangerous attraction to Bump’s ruthless enforcer, and Chess begins to wonder if the rush is really worth it. Hell, yeah. |
|
Magic to the Bone Publication date: January 8, 2009 | "Using magic meant it used you back. Forget the fairy tale hocus-pocus, wave a wand and bling-o sparkles and pixie dust crap. |
What are some of your favorite tattoo themed titles?
Giveaway
Giveaway courtesy of Wunderkind PR
One (1) copy of A WILD LIGHT by Marjorie M. Liu
![]()
Book Description
For too long Maxine Kiss has felt an inexplicable darkness inside her-a force she channels into hunting the demons bent on destroying the human race. But when she finds herself covered in blood and crouched beside her grandfather’s dead body with no memory of what happened, Maxine begins to fear that the darkness has finally consumed her.
Click HERE to read an excerpt of A WILD LIGHT
Giveaway Guidelines
- Open to US only
- Leave a comment that includes:
- Your favorite tattoo themed title or why you want to win?
- A way to contact you if you win
- Entries must be received by Midnight MST on August 14th.
Interested in offering a giveaway on All Things Urban Fantasy? CONTACT ME






















I love that Iron Witch cover. I just started hearing about these Hunter Kiss novels, I love their covers also and the concept. It does seem to be trending though, but so are actual tattoos. My kids pre-k teacher has them at Catholic School...LOL. That was unheard of when I attended.
ReplyDeleteTHanks for the giveaway.
parajunkee at gmail.com
I picked up the book Frost Moon by Anthony Francis last month when it was a free ebook. I haven't read it yet (TBR pile is out of control) but the premise intrigues me - the lead character is a magical tattoo artist who's trying to find a serial killer.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the giveaway.
jen at delux dot com
Melissa Marr's "Ink Exchange" where
ReplyDeletethat tattoo is the symbol of Irial, the king of the faerie Dark Court. The tattoo is designed to allow him to filter the bad emotions that feed his court through her into him and his people.
(\___/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/
I really like tribal tattoos and I like Jessa Slade's new Marked soul series where they have a tattoo that marks the area the demon they are host to used to to tempt them - i.e. if they had a stab wound on the chest when they gave in to the demon tempting them then a tattoo would mark them on their chest.
ReplyDeleteAs for wanting to win the book - I really enjoy Ms. Liu's work ;).
Pam S
pams00 @ aol.com
My favorites are The Iron Hunt and Darkness Calls. I love how Maxine's tattoos come alive to become the boys at night. Her relationship with them is so unique.
ReplyDeletejax1204[at]gmail[dot]com
I love that the brothers of the Black Dagger Brotherhood all have tattoos for their mates.
ReplyDeleteSkk25@aol.com
I can't think of an ink based book that I have read. I can say I really enjoy the Mercy Thompson series and she has tattoo's and is on the cover. Does that count?
ReplyDeletekennifernjenny(@)gmail(dot)com
Oh and I really like that Po has a tattoo for his future wife. I thought it was kind of sweet. (ok more than sweet)
I like the Patricia Briggs series of Mercedes. Love the artist for the covers. I also love how he incorporates the story line for the book into her tats on the cover.
ReplyDeletebooks (dot) things (at) yahoo (dot) com
I really liked the Karen Chance short story in Inked, the trouble the dragon tattoo added some nice humor, but then also helped her when she really needed it.
ReplyDeleteAlso like the way tattoos are used in Amazon Ink and Amazon Queen by Lori Devoti, in which whatever animal they have tattooed on themselves can lend the atributes of that animal to them.
Tdubwow@gmail.com
I love the tattoos in AMAZON INK.
ReplyDeleteaudie(at)wickerness(dot)com
Im a follower.
I like Ink Exchange. That's a good one about tattoos. Someone also mentioned Po from Cashmore's book. Good call. :)
ReplyDeletethebooklass at gmail dot com
Hmm...I like Stacia Kane's Chess Putnam series because Chess's tattoos have meaning and power behind them. The tattoos in Ink Exchange were good too.
ReplyDeleteI also like the tattoos in Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series, the marks that represent how many strigoi a person's killed. Those were pretty cool too,
jessbess2505[at]yahoo[dot]com
I love the Hunter Kiss series! I haven't read A Wild Light yet so I really want it! Maxine is awesome and her tattoos! How cool would it be to have tattoo's that protect you during the day and come to life at night? The "boys" are my favorite!
ReplyDeleteOh and I can't wait to read The Iron Witch! Sounds awesome and the cover is beautiful!
linaramz at yahoo dot com
Loved Stacia Kane's Unholy Ghosts, and Magic to the bone was great too. seems to be a trend lately for most heroines and hero to have tatts. Probably just reflected that lately everyone seems to be getting tatts.
ReplyDeletedarn it hit enter too soon my email addy is scrtsbpal at yahoo dot com
ReplyDeletedon't enter me (already own A Wild Light)
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to reiterate that this book was sooo good. Loved it.
My favorite tattood women are on some of the covers you alread listed - Devon Monks, Stacia Kane's and I'm looking forward to reading The Iron Witch.
Actually, I've been really looking forward to reading Inked becuase of the gorgeous coverwork. But I actually read all the ones you listed as well. Devon Monk being one of my newly found favorites.
ReplyDeleteEllaanabeth@yahoo.com
I love Marjorie M. Liu's writing and I think this series will be as good as her Dirk & Steele series.
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of tattoo's that come to life.
USA resident
jellybelly82158 at gmail dot com
The great tattoos on the front cover was the reason I picked up Iron Hunt, and I've never regretted it. :)
ReplyDeleteMagic to the Bone is great too.
heatwave96(at)hotmail.com
I liked Hunters series covers and Magic to the Bone because the tatoos on the cover reflect the heroine's body and tatoos have a purpose in the plots. Tats as decorations are fine, too. But if the tats on the cover don't seem to picture the hero or heroine it's not as enjoyable to me.
ReplyDeletecontact at islandgirl33774(at) yahoo dot com
I really liked Inked and how the different authors related the stories to the title and book's theme.
ReplyDeletebaconnors at yahoo dot com
I'd love to win because it sounds like an interesting book.
ReplyDeleteallisonsbj3(at)gmail(dot)com
I like the Tatoos on the covers of Mercy Thompson series because they fit so well with the descriptions of the character in the story.
ReplyDeletesgiden AT verizon.net
I don't HAVE a favorite tattoo-themed book title so obviously I need to win "A Wild Light" so I can make it my new fav ;-)
ReplyDeleteSarah
smaccall@comcast.net
My new favorite would be the Downside Ghost series. I liked that Lex called Chess "Tulip" because of her tattoo.
ReplyDeleteI would like to win because I've heard great things about them.
ReplyDeletelovemybabysquid at yahoo dot com
I love that in Liu's story, the tattoos are alive, in her skin, and aren't just a decoration.
ReplyDeleteI think my favorite description of how a tattoo feels (getting a tattoo) can be found in the story The Least Trumps in Elizabeth Hand's book, Saffron and Brimstone. I have 5 tattoos of my own (3 very large) and loved how she described the sensation.
Jo Liquidityoftime@gmail.com
The Black Dagger Brotherhood would have to be my favorite tattoo theme stories... especially with John Matthew. That tattoo is sad.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the chance to win!
Miranda
mdwartistry at yahoo dot com
Thanks for hosting - would love to win because I have heard a lot about Marjorie Liu and have not read her yet. Please enter me. bsharp88@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteMy favorite tattoo themed books is The Black Dagger Brotherhood.
ReplyDeletethrouthehaze at gmail dot com
The Mercy Thompson series has some great ones.
ReplyDeletebacchus76 at myself dot com
My favorite ones are the Hunter's Kiss series. I was hooked when I heard about "the Boys".
ReplyDeleteandrea.infinger@gmail.com
I absolutely love the tattoo for the Inked anthology. I mean it is an entire anthology with tattooed females in, so of course they had to come up with a great tattoo for the cover. I think it is not only gorgeous but in good taste.
ReplyDeleteArec at arecadelaide@gmail.com