26 August 2010

Giveaway: Dust by Joan Frances Turner

Zombies have had a rough time trying to compete with the seductive vampires and sexy shapeshifters that dominate the paranormal genres.  You’ll be hard pressed to find books were zombies aren’t simply mindless, disgusting, rotting corpses with a one word vocabulary: Brains!  Rarer still are books featuring zombies as main characters with real feelings, emotions, and desires.  Enter DUST by Joan Frances Turner.  On September 7, 2010, DUST promises to change everything we thought we knew about zombies, and thanks to the wonderful people at Penguin, I have five copies to giveaway (see details below).

Dust by Joan Frances Turner

DUST is told from the point of view of Jessie Anne Porter, a young woman who died in a brutal car accident and only to be reborn as a zombie. Through the adventures of Jessie, Turner explores the psychological, emotional and social implications of an alternative reality in which zombies are sentient creatures. Turner’s zombies struggle with love and acceptance, anger and grief—allowing readers to face their own fears about life, death, and whatever comes after. Thoughtful, well-crafted and engaging, DUST adds a new dimension to everything you thought you knew about the living dead.

**Make sure you check out the three book trailers below.  Very clever spoof of a Public Service Announcement (Brought to You by The Equal Rights For Zombies Association).**

Giveaway

Giveaway courtesy of Penguin Books

Five (5) copies of DUST by Joan Frances Turner

image

*This title will be released on September 7, 2010*

Description:
Nine years ago, Jessie had a family.
Now, she has a gang.
Nine years ago, Jessie was a vegetarian.
Now, she eats very fresh meat.
Nine years ago,
Jessie was in a car crash and died.
Nine years ago, Jessie was human.
Now, she’s not.

After she was buried, Jessie awoke and tore through the earth to arise, reborn, as a zombie. Jessie’s gang is the Fly-by-Nights. She loves the ancient, skeletal Florian and his memories of time gone by. She’s in love with Joe, a maggot-infested corpse. They fight, hunt, dance together as one—something humans can never understand. There are dark places humans have learned to avoid, lest they run into the zombie gangs.

But now, Jessie and the Fly-by-Nights have seen new creatures in the woods—things not human and not zombie. A strange new illness has flamed up out of nowhere, causing the undeads to become more alive and the living to exist on the brink of death. As bits and pieces of the truth fall around Jessie, like the flesh off her bones, she’ll have to choose between looking away or staring down the madness—and hanging onto everything she has come to know as life…

Click HERE to read an excerpt from DUST

Giveaway Guidelines

  1. Open to US only
  2. Fill out the form
  3. Entries must be received by Midnight MST on September 7th.


Interested in offering a giveaway on All Things Urban Fantasy? CONTACT ME

17 comments:

  1. Great videos! Thanks for sharing and for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously can NOT tell if I'd like this book or not!lol
    It'll start to sound interesting and then suddenly seem gross (like the maggot infested guy, yucK!) but then I see the book trailer and it's funny...so I dont know. Guess I'll just have to read and see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks interesting, and icky at the same time! lol! Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those trailers took me back to those drunk driving public service announcements. Very clever, I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to reading this. Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. IF I WIN THIS - IT WILL BE MY FIRST ZOMBIE STORY

    ReplyDelete
  8. This will be my first zombie book, if I win - thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs DeRaps - I love these videos. So clever.

    Bella - I know what you mean. I'm hoping to start it in the next few days so my review should be up soon. I love the opening line: "My right arm fell off today. Lucky for me I'm left handed."

    Meredith - Icky & interesting. I totally agree :)

    Michelle - Thanks. Hope you win.

    Rebecca - I hope you check out the 3rd video. I added it late, but it is my favorite.

    Melanie - You're welcome

    linaramz - Me too. It sounds completely different from the typical zombie books

    Audra - Ooh, very cool. I hope you love it.

    Beverly - It sounds like a lot of people haven't read any zombie books yet. Could be a new trend :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the giveaway!! I hadn't seen that last one yet. All of them are very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shera - Totally agree. The 3rd vid is my favorite.

    KittNLuv - These are exactly what book trailers should be. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG!! The spoof trailers are wicked. The brains look so real!

    =) Thanks for the giveaway!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chas - We can only hope the book has the same irreverent tone as the trailers. The opening line seems to be right on track.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep hoping that this genre takes off! I love the idea of this book, and the PSA's are hilarious! I can't wait to read it

    ReplyDelete
  15. bryansjenn - I loved the idea & PSAs too, but I just couldn't stomach the actual book.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About ATUF

Started in 2009, All Things Urban Fantasy is the place 'Where Para is Normal'. This your one stop for all things Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Paranormal YA, & select Speculative Fiction titles (Dystopian and Steampunk etc.). Want to know more about ATUF? Read the About page.

If you are an author, publisher, or publicist that would like a book reviewed on this site please Request a Review. All inquires are welcome.

Interviews? Guest blogs? Giveaways? Book Tours? Promotion of any kind? Contact us

Follow ATUF

Current Giveaways

Mouseover for details & click to enter giveaway

More coming soon

See our Giveaway Policy

Upcoming Guests

Want to be a guest? Fill out our Guest Request Form

Recent Comments

Grab Our Button

All Things Urban Fantasy

Sites & Info

Blog Archive

Labels

Copyright Text