19 July 2010

Review: Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey

 image

Book Description

Jill Jekel has always obeyed her parents' rules--especially the one about never opening the mysterious, old box in her father's office. But when her dad is murdered, and her college savings disappear, she's tempted to peek inside, as the contents might be the key to a lucrative chemistry scholarship.

To improve her odds, Jill enlists the help of gorgeous, brooding Tristen Hyde, who has his own dark secrets locked away. As the team of Jekel and Hyde, they recreate experiments based on the classic novel, hoping not only to win a prize, but to save Tristen's sanity. Maybe his life. But Jill's accidental taste of a formula unleashes her darkest nature and compels her to risk everything--even Tristen's love--just for the thrill of being...bad.

Review

JEKEL LOVES HYDE has a killer catchphrase: They say love is all about chemistry. I say it's about crush worthy guys with British accents, a dark and dangerous mystery, and forbidden romance. And JEKEL LOVES HYDE has them all.

I buried my father the day after my seventeenth birthday. –Opening from JEKEL LOVES HYDE

Tristen Hyde is the perfect tortured hero. He reminded me a lot of Spike from Buffy, and not just because he has blonde curly hair and a British accent. Always fearful of the beast that lurks in his nightmares carrying out wicked, evil acts that he is horrified and excited by in turn, Tristen exists in a perpetual state of semi agony of what he is becoming.  His only respite and hope for sanity comes from the shy but brilliant Jill Jekel.

Jill Jekel is a bit of a self imposed martyr initially. Everyone around her uses her and belittles her. She recognizes it and mentally berates the treatment but never does anything to change it. Well, not never, the blurb gives that away. Her spine is a long time growing, but when it does (and I don’t mean as the monster), she becomes a truly admirable character.

I did find one big hiccup that was a little hard to get around. In the classic Jekell and Hyde novel, Dr Jekell's formula unleashes a darker part of himself in the demented Mr. Hyde, which raises some awkward incest questions regarding Tristen and Jill who are supposed to be descended from the original Jekell and Hyde. Tristen explains briefly that they aren't in any way related, but the story goes back and forth, depending on the scene, treating the beast/human as two individuals or as parts of the same person.

Overall, the writing is excellent. The prologue is a beautiful example of the talent that Beth wields with her pen. The characters are vivid and fully realized breathing humans who delight and frustrate in turn. The first half of JEKEL LOVES HYDE is brilliantly concocted. The second half gets a little messy plot wise, but the book as a whole is a near perfect combination of romance, danger, and paranormal goodness. Jekel may love Hyde, but I love this book.

YA Warning: Be prepared for some heavy subject matter including attempted rape, torture, assault, murder, suicide, sex. Some of these subjects are only vaguely referenced, others are more detailed and written from the perspective of a deviant. Some readers may have difficulty distinguishing Tristen's actions from those of the beast.

Sexual Content: Kissing. References to sex.  A few scenes of sensuality.  References to rape.  Attempted rape.

My Rating (out of 5):
imageimageimageimageExcellent - Loved it! Buy it now & pre-order the sequel.

Click HERE to read an excerpt of JEKEL LOVES HYDE

Product Details

  • The Book DepositoryReading level: Young Adult
  • Hardcover: 288 pages
  • Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books; 1 edition (May 3, 2010)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0152063900
  • ISBN-13: 978-0152063900 
  • Cover Art: Cliff Nielson


Disagree with my review?  Contact me with your review for this or any other book I’ve reviewed and I might use it for 2nd Opinion Review

13 comments:

  1. I just got this, I loved Jessica's Guide and am excited to read this one! :) Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never actually picked up Jessica's Guide to dating the dark side, but this seems really intriguing! :)
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave your blog an award, come to mine to collect it!

    www.kwbookfanatic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Book Crazy Jen - And I did the reverse. Read Jekel and then picked up Jessica's Guide. I'm really loving Beth's writing style.

    Hilary - I hoping to read Jessica's Guide soon. Beth has a wonderful voice that I'm hoping carries over into all her books.

    KWbookfanatic - Thank you. I'm heading over now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard good and bad about this book. I didn't like the cover or the title to Beth's first book, but LOVED the story. I hope this one does the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought both this one and Jessica's Guide after reading some great reviews... need to find some time to read them =)

    Awesome review hon! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Princess Allie - I obviously enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to Jessica's Guide. I hope I like it as much as you did.

    Larissa - I hear you. It's so hard as a blogger to find time to read older books with all the new ones clamoring for review. Here's hoping we both find time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This author is a favorite of mine afetr reasing 'Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side'. GREAT read! Love her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah my same thoughts as well! I have to say your review has a killer opening I can only dream of matching one day!! Loved the review!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Danielle87- I have high hopes for her in the future too. I'm really glad to have discovered her books.

    Erika - Now you're going to make me blush :) I'm really glad you liked the review too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review - I loved Jessica's Guide and can't wait to read this one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If there's a Spike character, I'm there!!! I was having doubts about this book, but that sold me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Book Sale - Another endorsement for Jessica's Guide. Thanks!

    Shera - Tristen really did have a Spike vibe for me. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About ATUF

Started in 2009, All Things Urban Fantasy is the place 'Where Para is Normal'. This your one stop for all things Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Paranormal YA, & select Speculative Fiction titles (Dystopian and Steampunk etc.). Want to know more about ATUF? Read the About page.

If you are an author, publisher, or publicist that would like a book reviewed on this site please Request a Review. All inquires are welcome.

Interviews? Guest blogs? Giveaways? Book Tours? Promotion of any kind? Contact us

Follow ATUF

Current Giveaways

Mouseover for details & click to enter giveaway

More coming soon

See our Giveaway Policy

Upcoming Guests

Want to be a guest? Fill out our Guest Request Form

Recent Comments

Grab Our Button

All Things Urban Fantasy

Sites & Info

Blog Archive

Labels

Copyright Text