16 July 2010

Updated Cover Art coverage: 8 new titles

*Some of these covers may not be final*

Source: Jess Haines
Title: Taken By The Others (H&W Investigations #2)
Author: Jess Haines
Release Date: January 2011
Artist:  N/A
Author Comments:
”My goodness! Some of you already know about this, but the next book in the H&W Investigations series is called TAKEN BY THE OTHERS. It’s due for release in January, 2011, and is available for pre-order already. I’m not sure if this cover is going to change. I’ve got a request in on it, but since it’s already popping up in a few places, I’ll post it here.”

 My Thoughts:
Eek!  I wish I could say I loved this cover, because if the book is half as good as its predecessor, it’s going to be awesome.  But this outfit is a bit hookerish for me, not at all something I could see Shia wearing. 

Book Description:

Jess haines draws readers deep into the mesmerizing world of the Others–werewolves, vampires, and mages who make their home among humans, and are turning Shiarra Waynest’s life upside down…

Once, New York P.I. Shiarra Waynest’s most pressing problem was keeping her agency afloat. Now she’s dealing with two dangerous, seductive vampires who have been enemies for centuries. The only thing Max Carlyle and Alec Royce agree on is that they both want Shia–for very different reasons.

Max is determined to destroy Shia for killing his progeny, while Royce’s interest is a lot more personal. That’s not sitting well with Shia’s werewolf boyfriend, Chaz. As the feud between Max and Royce gets ever more deadly, a powerful vampire-hunting faction is urging Shia to join their side. Shia has always believed vamps were the bad guys, but she’s discovering unexpected shades of grey that are about to redefine her friends, her loyalties–and even her desires…

Previous Books in Series:

 Hunted by the Others Cover Art


Source: Life After Twilight
Title: Red Glove (The Curse workers #2)
Author: Holly Black
Release Date: April 5, 2011
Artist:  N/A
Author Comments: N/A
My Thoughts:
Yeah, I’m not loving this.  The gloved hand looks a little cheesy, but I can’t wait to read it.

Book Description:

N/A

Previous Books in Series:

 


Source: Twitter @The Knight Agency
Title
: On the Hunt
Author: Anthology
Release Date: February 2011
Artist:  N/A
Author Comments: N/A
My Thoughts:
I’m totally digging his double ended knife. 

Book Description:

N/A

Previous Books in Series:

N/A


Source: Literary Escapism
Title: Secrets of The Demon (Kara Gillian #3)
Author: Diana Rowland
Release Date: January 4, 2010
Artist:  Dan Dos Santos
Author Comments: N/A
My Thoughts:
Gorgeous.  I thought the previous covers for this series had a YA look to them.  This is a huge departure, but it is a much better representation of the style and tone of the series. The artist is the amazing Dan dos Santos who also does the Mercy Thompson series. 

Book Description:

N/A

Previous Books in Series:

 


Source: Michelle Rowen
Title
: Nightshade
Author: Michelle Rowen
Release Date: February 2011
Artist:  N/A
Author Comments: 
“I’m very excited to get this cover! I’m really liking it! The blue title will be done in foil so that’ll look fantastic.

NIGHTSHADE will be released in February 2011 at the same time that the PRIMAL anthology is out. That will contain a novella taking place right after the events in this book, so it’s a double dose of my Nightshade world with no waiting (the antho was originally scheduled for April but got moved up). NIGHTSHADE is an urban fantasy with a large helping of romance, and darker (and sexier) than my usual paranormal single title books. But as you can see by my fabulous Kelley Armstrong quote, the edge of humor in my voice creeps in even if I’m not even trying to be funny!

I’m very proud of this book so I’m glad that it got a kick-ass cover!”
My Thoughts:
Very cool.  The model looks pretty young, but this is an adult book FYI.

 

Book Description:

Jillian Conrad never believed in vampires. But she’s just become a living, breathing weapon against them. Attacked by a desperate scientist, she is injected with a serum that was supposed to act as a deadly poison to vampires. And when the scientist is gunned down in front of her, his secrets die with him.

Declan Reyes was only half-vampire, but he hates them with all his heart. He knows that the poison in Jillian’s veins could finally destroy the undead kingdom. Also, the serum has had an unintended effect, making her blood irresistible to all vampires—including Declan, whose bloodthirsty traits are driven into a frenzy by her.

Driven by duty to protect her and by instinct to crave her, Declan takes Jillian into his shadowy world of blood and battle. But he soon realizes his increasing need for her may be a different kind of hunger…

Previous Books in Series:

N/A


Source: LA FEMME READERS
Title
: Bloodthirsty
Author: Flynn Meaney
Release Date: October 5, 2010
Artist:  N/A
Author Comments: N/A
My Thoughts:
A perfect cover for the story.  I love when that happens.

Book Description:

Flynn Meaney's debut novel Bloodthirsty, a coming-of-age tale starring Finbar Frame, a skinny, moody, super-pale teenage guy who decides to become a vampire. Or at least fake it ... to get a date

Previous Books in Series:

N/A


Source: LA FEMME READERS
Title: Forsaken
Author: Jana Oliver
Release Date: January 7, 2011
Artist:  N/A
Author Comments: N/A
My Thoughts:
I love the abstract demon graphic.

The Demon Trappers: Forsaken

Book Description:

Riley has always wanted to be a Demon Trapper like her father, and she's already following in his footsteps as one of the best. But it's tough being the only girl in an all-guy world, especially when three of those guys start making her life more complicated: Simon, the angelic apprentice who has heaven on his side; Beck, the tough trapper who thinks he's God's gift, and Ori, the strikingly sexy stranger who keeps turning up to save her ass. One thing's for sure - if she doesn't keep her wits about her there'll be hell to pay...

Previous Books in Series:

N/A


Source: LA FEMME READERS
Title: Absolution (Heavenly #3)
Author: Jennifer Laurens
Release Date: ? 2011
Artist:  N/A
Author Comments: N/A
My Thoughts:
Simple, but pretty.

Absolution (Heavenly, #3)

Book Description:

Zoe’s secret is out. And the powers of Hell are ravenous to claim her soul. Her brother, Luke, knows her secret: that she sees both good and evil spirits. Her boyfriend knows. At least Matthias is her guardian angel again. But now Hell’s most ruthless leader will stop at nothing to have her soul.

Albert, Matthias’ father, is relentless in his hunger for Zoe. He wants to destroy Matthias and will use Zoe to do so.

The battle between Heaven and Hell tests everything Zoe has. As she witnesses everyone important in her life suffering, she’s brought to the ultimate choice: will she sacrifice her soul to save the ones she loves?

Previous Books in Series:

 Heavenly (Heavenly, #1)Penitence (Heavenly, #2)


12 comments:

  1. I just discovered your blog recently and am really enjoying it. I'm just starting to get into urban fantasy and was wondering if you could do a blog about (or maybe you have already)about what books are must reads for an urban fantasy virgin.
    Love the cover for Absolution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for another fab covers post. The stand out for me is Secrets of the Demon. I love Dan Dos Santos' art.

    Also, is it just me or does the Forsaken cover look kinda sorta like Jenna Black's The Devil's Playground cover?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^ I agree, Dan Dos Santos covers are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beachreader - Done! I've actually been thinking about doing a post like that for awhile now. Like a primer for newbies. Keep your eyes peeled, it's coming :)

    Jen D. - Me too. It looked like his work, and sure enough when I checked his site it was there. And I thought the exact same thing about Forsaken. It is super similar!

    Rebs - He's the man. I love his ebook covers for the Wheel of Time series too. Have you seen them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a fan of both Jessica Andersen and Gena Showalter so I can't wait to get On The Hunt.


    Stephanie G
    Paranormal Haven

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree about the Holly Black book - eek! That looks cheap and nasty. But I can't wait to read the second 'Curseworkers'! EEP! I loved the first book so much.

    It'd be cool if the cover was something like this (but with red gloves, obviously):

    http://jennifermorrill.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/vampire-diaries-promo-pic_380x483.jpg

    It's one of the promos for CW's 'The Vampire Diaries'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, yeah, I totally understand about that cover of mine. =/

    I've sent a request to my editor to change some things about it. You're right--the outfit and the weapon are nothing like Shia would wear. However, it may be beyond the point of recall, so I can't promise that it'll change.

    What I can promise is that the content should make up for it! Fans of the first book will be very happy to know there's a whole new aspect to the Royce/Shia relationship that springs up in this one, and he gets a lot more "page time" with her this time around. *g* I'll let you know as soon as I have ARCs--should be anytime now.

    <3,
    -J

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was worried when I heard that Rowland's covers were being re-done due to her move to a new publisher, because I LOVED the current style, but I must say that the new one rocks too.

    That new Jess Haines cover is so awful, I cannot begin to count the ways. That's a cover that will hurt sales in every way, whereas that first one was brilliant. How'd they take such a face-plant on book two?

    Wow Abigail, you've been doing a lot of these cover previews, and all I can think is that these must be quite labor intensive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephanie - I just started Gena Showalter's Intertwined and I can already tell I'll be reading more from her in the future, so this might be perfect for me.

    Danielle - Yeah, I just don't get it. The first cover was so cool, and this one...just isn't. The Vamp Diaries pic you found would be better or even something less literal or an empty red glove...?

    Chas - Yep, especially SECRETS OF THE DEMON. I'm all over it.

    Jess - I could tell you weren't super thrilled with it either. What a bummer b/c the previous cover was perfect. I do hope they head your request for some changes, but even still, they could have put Hillary Clinton on the cover and I'd still buy it :)

    Rebecca - The two previous covers never wowed me, and I never thought they adequately portrayed the series tone. The new one, however, actually looks like the way the books read. Awesome.

    And I feel so bad for Jess, cause wow awful. I hope they give her a complete overhaul. I'm sure TBTO deserves it.

    These posts are much less labor intensive than you would think. But there has been a ton of cover reveals lately. All I can say is thank you Windows Live Writer and the template plug-in :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH god. The Jess Haines cover is SO AWFUL. It's up on Amazon already and everything... is there anything we can do to change it?? :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree... poor Jess :( I wish we could do something to get them to change it. She deserves to have more people reading this series!

    Ugh... I really hope you're wrong Rebecca, that'd be awful if it hurt sales :/

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About ATUF

Started in 2009, All Things Urban Fantasy is the place 'Where Para is Normal'. This your one stop for all things Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Paranormal YA, & select Speculative Fiction titles (Dystopian and Steampunk etc.). Want to know more about ATUF? Read the About page.

If you are an author, publisher, or publicist that would like a book reviewed on this site please Request a Review. All inquires are welcome.

Interviews? Guest blogs? Giveaways? Book Tours? Promotion of any kind? Contact us

Follow ATUF

Current Giveaways

Mouseover for details & click to enter giveaway

More coming soon

See our Giveaway Policy

Upcoming Guests

Want to be a guest? Fill out our Guest Request Form

Recent Comments

Grab Our Button

All Things Urban Fantasy

Sites & Info

Blog Archive

Labels

Copyright Text