24 July 2010

*This title will be released on July 27, 2010*

image

Book Description

The orphaned daughter of a sorcerer and a half-demon, Savannah is a terrifyingly powerful young witch who has never been able to resist the chance to throw her magical weight around. But at 21 she knows she needs to grow up and prove to her guardians, Paige and Lucas, that she can be a responsible member of their supernatural detective agency. So she jumps at the chance to fly solo, investigating the mysterious deaths of three young women in a nearby factory town as a favor to one of the agency's associates. At first glance, the murders look garden-variety human, but on closer inspection signs point to otherworldly stakes.

Soon Savannah is in over her head. She's run off the road and nearly killed, haunted by a mystery stalker, and freaked out when the brother of one of the dead women is murdered when he tries to investigate the crime. To complicate things, something weird is happening to her powers. Pitted against shamans, demons, a voodoo-inflected cult and garden-variety goons, Savannah has to fight to ensure her first case isn't her last. And she also has to ask for help, perhaps the hardest lesson she's ever had to learn.

 Review

Book 11 in The Women of the Otherworld Series

Half demon sorceress Savannah Levine turned supernatural investigator has had supporting roles in a handful of previous WotO books (Stolen, Dime Store Magic, Industrial Magic, Haunted and No Humans Involved), but only as a child and teenager.  WAKING THE WITCH is her first, and hopefully not her last, staring narration as an adult. 

I haven’t read all the previous WotO books yet so most of the character cameos were wasted on me, but I had no problem becoming engrossed in this paranormal world populated by werewolves, witches, half demons, vampires, sorcerers, shamans, and necromancers who keep their existence hidden from world at large.

Savannah was the real draw in WAKING THE WITCH.  She is an imminently likable heroine who is comfortable in her own skin, has a capable cool attitude, and a fearless tenacity when it comes to justice.  Not to mention three hot guys (a detective, and two half demons) who wouldn’t mind driving off into the sunset on the back of her wicked cool motorcycle.

WAKING THE WITCH proves once again what a good writer Kelley Armstrong is.  This story abounds with subtle humor, concise yet vivid characterizations, and best of all a captivating plot with a touch of romance.  My only real complaint is that the ending kind of came out of nowhere and the lead in for the next Savannah book leaves a few too many things unresolved this time around.   Of course that just makes me want to read the next WotO novel all the more.

Sexual Content: References to sex. A brief non graphic sex scene.

My Rating (out of 5):
imageimageimageimageExcellent - Loved it! Buy it now & pre-order the sequel.

Click HERE to read an excerpt from WAKING THE WITCH

Product Details

*Disclosure: I received this book courtesy of Wunderkind PR


Disagree with my review?  Contact me with your review for this or any other book I’ve reviewed and I might use it for 2nd Opinion Review.

5 comments:

  1. I am so excited for a book that stars Savannah as she is one of my favorite of Armstrong's characters. I read on Armstrong's website that Savannah will narrate book 12 (and maybe 13, can't remember for sure).

    Thanks for the great preview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely excited for this one!
    I've loved Savannah from the beginning.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela - Savannah was a great narrator. As many books as Kelley wants to write for her I'll read :)

    Books Glorious Books - I lobed her enough that I just started picked up all her previous books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Review Abigail!!!

    I LOVE this series! You totally need to read the rest! Elena is my fave narrator and along with Clay she is part of one of my favorite UF couples ever!!! =)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. larissa - I'm all over it. I just picked up Stolen this week.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About ATUF

Started in 2009, All Things Urban Fantasy is the place 'Where Para is Normal'. This your one stop for all things Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Paranormal YA, & select Speculative Fiction titles (Dystopian and Steampunk etc.). Want to know more about ATUF? Read the About page.

If you are an author, publisher, or publicist that would like a book reviewed on this site please Request a Review. All inquires are welcome.

Interviews? Guest blogs? Giveaways? Book Tours? Promotion of any kind? Contact us

Follow ATUF

Current Giveaways

Mouseover for details & click to enter giveaway

More coming soon

See our Giveaway Policy

Upcoming Guests

Want to be a guest? Fill out our Guest Request Form

Recent Comments

Grab Our Button

All Things Urban Fantasy

Sites & Info

Blog Archive

Labels

Copyright Text