*This title will be released on November 2, 2010*
Title: Firewalker
Author: Allyson James
Series: Stormwalker #2
Cover Art: Tony Mauro
Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: Berkley
Date Published: November 2, 2010
ISBN-10: 0425237826
ISBN-13: 978-0425237823
Review Copy Source: Allyson James
Reviewed by: Abigail
Book Description
Janet Begay's Crossroads Hotel has attracted the supernatural ever since it opened. But a new, dark power is rising, this time inside Janet herself. Her boyfriend Mick, a sexy dragon shapeshifter the Navajo call a Firewalker, know what terrifying magic is threatening to overwhelm Janet and her Stormwalker powers. He watches over her, ready to fight for her, to do anything to keep her safe.
But then a mysterious corpse is found near the Crossroads Hotel-and Janet becomes the main suspect. Now Janet and Mick must uncover what really happened, and their investigation leads to the most perilous decision of their lives...
When Mick goes missing, it's up to Janet to find him and figure out how to keep him safe. She'll need a little help from her friends, old and new: Nash and Coyote; Cassandra, a wicked Wicca, and a few strange beings who are stirring things up in Magellan.
Review
In urban fantasy, I like magic to exact a price. The more powerful the magic, the more severe the price should be. In FIREWALKER, Janet has long since mastered her paternal Storm magic, and thanks to her scorchingly hot dragon shifter boyfriend, she doesn’t have to worry anymore about the residual magic burn out. Her maternal Beneath magic is something Janet is just beginning to tap into and, despite being a little unreliable, it came a little to easy to her. Beneath magic has unlimited power and aside from some various outside sources who threaten Janet’s life if she doesn’t forfeit her Beneath magic, she’s essentially unstoppable.
Janet does have to battle her inner self to keep that power from unleashing and taking over the world, but I never for a second thought she’d lose control. I wish that the stakes had been, if not higher, at least a little more harrowing. I’m not saying I want Janet to become an uber bad goddess like her mother, but I would have liked it better if I believed she could have. As it was, I found that story line a bit staid.
What remained as exciting as always is the lethal sensuality between Janet and Mick. We get to see a lot more of Mick’s dragon side and learn about his firewalker (along with meeting several more dragons)which I’d been craving since he revealed himself in STORMWALKER. She rescues him, he rescues her. And the reunions are pretty hot. Not as hot as in STORMWALKER, but still blazing.
Overall, the personal stakes revolving Janet’s burgeoning magic were a little luke warm, but the romance and dragon mythology were hot, hot, hot. SHADOWWALKER is scheduled for release in June 2011 followed by DOUBLE HEXED in the anthology HEXED later in Summer 2011. Two more installments to look forward to next year? Sign me up.
Sexual Content: References to homosexuality. References to rape. A couple semi graphic sex scenes. A semi graphic scene of sensuality.
My Rating:
3/5
Good - A fun read with minor flaws. Maybe read an excerpt before buying.
Click HERE to read an excerpt from FIREWALKER
Previous books in the series:
Also reviewed by:




















This one is on my wishlist! Great review!
ReplyDeleteNice review, this is definetly on my wish list as well. Plan too pick this up along with Living Nightmare and Blood Spells as soon as they come out.
ReplyDeleteThanks Abigail, I've been waiting for this one! I just ordered my copy and can't wait.
ReplyDeleteJamie - And aren't the covers gorgeous? Tony Mauro does amazing work.
ReplyDeleteThonas Liberto - We must be thinking the same way because I'll have my review of BLOOD SPELLS up on Thursday :)
Lizzielvr - If you want a sneak peak, check back on Tuesday because Allyson will be here with her Spooky Legends post!