*This title will be released on September 7, 2010*
Book Description
Even the most powerful hands need a delicate touch…
Emmaline Gallagher is a master of wielding personal glamour. As a free fae who lives among humans, she must hide her true self at all times as she works undercover within the powerful Phaendir—for if certain factions within the Phaendir gain control, the fae will be wiped from existence. Now, an object of fae power lies within a locked ancient box. And there is only one fae who can forge the key.
Known as “the Blacksmith” Aeric O’Malley can create or destroy almost anything with his forging skills. Emmaline has come to him in need, but he and Emmaline have a past—and he has spent centuries wanting to take revenge on her for her transgressions. But now that he has her within his grasp, something about her keeps him from exacting his vengeance—or is it merely her glamour blinding him?
Trapped by fate, Emmaline must hope that she can reach Aeric’s furious heart before it’s too late…
Review
Book 2 in The Dark Magick Series
The kind of urban fantasy and paranormal romances I tend to gravitate towards are usually full of sexual tension as opposed to just sex. Still, when I saw the gorgeous cover (thank you Tony Mauro) and read the description for Anya Bast’s steamy new PNR, I decided to broaden my horizons a little. The verdict? CRUEL ENCHANTMENT is full of revenge, betrayal, magic, and plenty of sex. And I loved every single page.
CRUEL ENCHANTMENT gives us a richly detailed world that is steeped in traditional fae mythology with just the right amount of new lore (e.g. Piefferburg, a prison for fae), lush characters, heady romance, and a story that blurs the line between hero and villain. Many of the characters from the previous book pop up, but the main story and romance are brand new and completely self contained, which is good news for both old fans and those new to this series.
More good news is the romance. There is just something so appealing about a romance between two people who are damaged, almost irrevocably so. That’s what we get with Emmaline, the former assassin, and Aeric, the blacksmith who lost his one true love at Emmaline’s hand. Every early scene between them brought new meaning to the word cruel (hence the title), and their budding relationship was emotionally excruciatingly as she could not forget her past and he would not forget his. Their love is a triumph of the heart and mind, and all the more satisfying for it.
CRUEL ENCHANTMENT is everything I hoped and feared it world be: dark, brutal, and scorchingly hot. The third book in the Dark Magic series, Dark Enchantment, will be released on April 5, 2011. In the mean time I’m going to break in my new kindle with the first book, Wicked Enchantment.
Sexual Content: Several long, graphic sex scenes. Several graphic scenes of sensuality.
My Rating (out of 5):Excellent - Loved it! Buy it now & pre-order the sequel.
Click HERE to read an excerpt from CRUEL ENCHANTMENT
Previous books in the series:
Product Details
Paperback: 336 pages - Publisher: Berkley (September 7, 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0425236374
- ISBN-13: 978-0425236376
- Cover Art: Tony Mauro
*Disclosure: I received this book courtesy of Anya Bast




















Oh My!! What a wicked review. I want so much to read this one and the first book!=)
ReplyDeleteI'm totally into the cover. It's gorgeous and the blurb makes me want to read it. Great review!
ReplyDeleteLLL Reviews - I think this is the perfect kind of title to attract UF lovers who are a little learly of PNR as the world building is so robust. Really good.
ReplyDeletejustpeachy36 - The cover is so gorgeous! And the story is just as good.
Amazing review! I'm sooo excited for this book. I loved Wicked Enchantment! I can't wait!
ReplyDeleteNatasha - And I can't wait to go back and read Wicked Enchantment :)
ReplyDeleteWow! Such a great review, really want to read the first one now.
ReplyDeleteI confess I didn't put much into this series because I couldn't stand her other series, Elemental Witches. Felt like the cool plot and engaging world was taking a back seat to sex. And then more sex.
Shera - I haven't read the Elemental Witch series so I can't offer a comparison. There is quite a bit of sex in this one, but I've read books where the sex became overwhelming and CRUEL ENCHANTMENT in't one of them.
ReplyDeleteOhhhhhhhhhhhhh I love your review!!! You know how I feel about this book! It freaking rocked apples!!! I am a huge Anya fan and this series is definitely its weight in Gold!
ReplyDeleteAwesome review hon!!!
Hope you had a great weekend!
Cecile - You'll have tell me if her other series is as good :)
ReplyDelete