**Visit Tynga’s Reviews today for her PSF Spotlight & Giveaway on J.R. Ward author of LOVER MINE**
I can’t believe I’m welcoming my first repeat offender guest Jennifer Estep! I was fortunate enough to interview Jennifer back in January about the first Elemental Assassin book, Spider’s Bite and now she’s back with the 2nd book, WEB OF LIES. Jennifer is here today talking about some of her favorite paranormal books and movies. And because as my first repeat offender, she is made of awesome, Jennifer is offering one of you the chance to win the first two books in Elemental Assassin series! See details below.

Jennifer Estep writes the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series. Jennifer is also the author of the Bigtime paranormal romance series for Berkley. By day, Jennifer is an award-winning features page designer for a daily newspaper with a wide range of media and journalism experience. She’s also a certifiable fangirl and an authority on fantasy literature and culture. Jennifer is a member of Romance Writers of America, Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, and other writing groups. Jennifer’s books have been featured in Cosmopolitan, Entertainment Weekly, Southern Living, and a variety of other publications.
by
Jennifer Estep
Greetings and salutations! First of all, I want to say thanks for Abigail for having me back here on the blog. Thanks so much, Abigail!
As some of you might know, I’m the author of the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series. The series kicked off with Spider’s Bite in February, and the second book, Web of Lies, just came out on May 25. The third book, Venom, will hit shelves on Sept. 28. The books focus on Gin Blanco, an assassin codenamed the Spider who runs a barbecue restaurant in her spare time. I’m also the author of the Bigtime paranormal romance books. Titles in that series are Karma Girl, Hot Mama, and Jinx.
Abigail asked me to talk about some of my favorite paranormal reads today. Sure, I’m an author, but I’m also a reader too, and I’m just as happy to talk about other folks’ books as I am my own. I especially love the paranormal/fantasy genre. That’s what I write and that’s what I like to read – paranormal romance, urban fantasy, epic fantasy, young adult books, and everything in between.
You know what else I like? Summer movies. Big, loud, action-packed summer movies where they blow up half of Texas in the first twenty minutes. So today, I thought that I’d combine my two loves and do an “If you like …” guide to movies and paranormal books. Here goes:
If you like Clash of the Titans, check out the Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole. Sure, Cole’s paranormal romance series is set in modern times, but it features everything from Valkyries to vampires to demons. Another good series in this vein is the Dark-Hunters series by Sherrilyn Kenyon, which features sexy immortal warriors and lots of meddling by those pesky Greek gods, among others.

If you like heist movies like Ocean’s Eleven, check out The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. This epic fantasy book is the first in Lynch’s Gentleman Bastard Sequence about a dapper thief named Locke Lamora and his many schemes.

If you like film noir movies like The Maltese Falcon, check out The Sword-Edged Blonde by Alex Bledsoe, which features Eddie LaCrosse, a sword jockey (think private investigator) who’s just as cool as Sam Spade in this epic fantasy tale.

If you like the Twilight movies, check out the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. These young adult books have a little bit of everything – a cool vampire mythology, interesting characters, and a bittersweet romance. 
If you like the movie Gladiator, check out The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Kids are forced to fight to the death in this gripping, young-adult book set in a post-apocalyptic world. Another good book along these lines is Graceling by Kristin Cashore, about a princess who has a unique grace, or talent, for killing and how she uses her powers to help combat an evil king.

And, of course, I can’t wrap things up without mentioning my own books. If you like superhero movies like Iron Man or Spider-Man, then check out my Bigtime series, which features sexy superheroes, evil ubervillains, and smart, sassy gals looking for love.
If you like the old TV show and soon-to-be movie The A-Team, then check out Web of Lies and the rest of my Elemental Assassin urban fantasy books, which feature lots of dark, action-packed fun. Besides, I always love it when a plan – or a reading list – comes together. ;-)
What about you guys? What are some of your favorite summer movies and paranormal books? Share in the comments.
Thanks Jennifer for stopping by again. Come back anytime.
Visit Jennifer Online:
Want to read more from Jennifer Estep?
Bigtime
1. Karma Girl
2. Hot Mama
3. Jinx
Elemental Assassin
1. Spider's Bite (read my Review)
2. Web of Lies
3. Venom
Giveaway
Giveaway courtesy of Jennifer Estep
One winner will receive a copy of SPIDER'S BITE and WEB OF LIES by Jennifer Estep
GIVEAWAY GUIDLINES
- Open to US & Canada
- Fill out the form below
- Entries for all Paranormal Summer Fest giveaways must be received by Midnight MST on July 4th. All the giveaways winners will be announced on July 6th.
I would greatly appreciate if you shared this giveaway on your blog or favorite social networks. And please say hi to Jennifer. Thanks!
Interested in guest blogging on All Things Urban Fantasy? CONTACT ME

























I don't go to the movies much so I probably won't see any summer movies until they come out on DVD and my library gets them. As far as books this summer I plan to read Glimmerglass by Jenna Black, C.E. Murphy's new book Demon Hunts, Inhuman Resources by Jess Batis and Spellcrash by Kelly McCullough
ReplyDeleteThanks. I entered. Have a super weekend.
ReplyDeleteI will have to check out Hot Momma series..it looks very entertaining.
ReplyDeleteI entered the contest..
stop by and check out my review of When Mercy is Shown, Mercy is Given..
Great post! Lots of good comparisons - since you mentioned A-Team i have to say I'm looking forward to the A-team movie coming out this summer!
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping to read your books soon!
I'm not huge on the blockbusters, although I loved Transformers (I want to take home Bumblebee) and most of the Marvels (Iron Man, X-Men, Hell Boy- NOT the Spiderman movies.)
ReplyDeleteI think I probably speak for a lot of people here when I say that I read so many urban fantasy/paranormal books and series, it would be almost obnoxious to try to make a list! But big shout to Thorn Queen- that was the last fantastic book I read!
I only watch about 4 movies a year, but I'm sure DH will drag me to at least one superhero type movie this summer.
ReplyDeleteAs for books, my latest tactic has been to wait until a series is complete or has at least 3 or 4 books out before I start it so I don't get so frustrated waiting for the next one. I'm hoping to try Stacia Kane's Unholy Ghosts series since it is being released back to back and I'd love to read Jennifer's Bigtime series. Elemental Assassin is at the top of my wishlist, but I'm waiting until it is closer to the release of Venom before I start it (unless I win this giveaway in which case, I probably won't be able to restrain myself from jumping in LOL).
Oh, my TBR mountain just grew a couple feet! Thanks for the 'if you like' style shopping list- more useful than an excerpt for me. I've read Cole and Kenyon but the others are all new and I love discovering a 'new to me' author.
ReplyDeleteFavorite summer books and movies? That is way to hard to answer in this little comment section:) Movies might be the more manageable topic. I love movies but sadly can't always see them in theaters- maybe 5 times a year. But I have a fairly large DVD collection here at home. Our favorites are superheroes, suspense, drama, and family films. We just saw Iron Man 2 and loved it!! Now we're all waiting for the next Harry Potter.
Sandy -- I've heard a lot of folks talking about Glimmerglass. That's another book I need to try.
ReplyDeleteDor -- You too.
Mean Mom -- Thanks! I hope you enjoy the Bigtime series.
Heather -- I'm super excited about the A-Team movie since that's my favorite TV show ever. I just hope it's cheesy fun like the show was.
Cathie -- I hope you enjoy them.
Bethany -- I really enjoyed the Hellboy movies too. He's such a great character. Every time I hear "I Can't Smile Without You" I always think of those movies.
Jen -- Well, whenever you do start the Elemental Assassin books, I hope that you enjoy them. ;-)
Anna -- Thanks! I'm glad you found some new authors to try. As for movies, I'm partial to action/adventure flicks.
I just finished reading Web of Lies. Just wanted to say, couldn't put it down Great books!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to get into this series... : )
ReplyDeleteThanks for the guest blog & giveaway.
Looking forward to seeing the A Team movie - brings back memories of the 80s
ReplyDeleteAlso really looking forward to reading MockingJay and JK (Julie Kenner) Becks new series
Love Julie Kenner, Suzanne Collins, Jill Myles, and Jennifer Estep of course
Some of the books I'm going to be reading this summer are: The Mage in Black (Jaye Wells), First Drop of Crimson (Jeaniene Frost), In the Darkest Night (Patti O'Shea) Moon Sworn (Keri Arthur).
ReplyDeleteI've been watching quite a few movies lately, but it's always just whatever strikes my fancy, I don't really go to the theater.
Pixie -- Excellent! I'm so glad that you enjoyed the book. ;-)
ReplyDeleteChrista -- You are quite welcome.
Mountie -- I'm waiting for the last Collins book to come out so I can read 2 and 3 back to back. I loved The Hunger Games -- it was one of my favorite reads last year.
Barbara -- First Drop of Crimson is pretty good. I think that Frost has another one coming out in that series, maybe in July?
Hi Jennifer!
ReplyDeleteI'm just starting The Mage in Black by Jaye Wells. Books I can't wait to get my hands on are Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews, Mockingjay by Suzane Collins, Jealousy by Lili St. Crow and A Wild Light by Marjorie M. Liu.
As for movies, I recently watched Pandorum and I really liked it.
Hey Jennifer,
ReplyDeleteI might be kin to you. We have the same last name lol. :)
I read Immortals After Dark and Dark-Hunters. Vampire Academy is my favorite YA series and of course, Hunger games is awesome!! We seem to like a lot of the same books :)
Great post!
Adelina -- I like St. Crow's Dante Valentine series a lot, and I've heard good things about Wells' series. That's another one that I've been meaning to try ...
ReplyDeleteJessica -- That's funny! ;-) And it looks like we do like a lot of the same books.
To be honest im a hugeee hugee horror junky love them
ReplyDeleteI cnat wiat to watch splice
Nightmare on Elm Street was good
(not as good a sthe original)
deff got to se ethe A- Team
really honestly I havent seen many movies i wanna se ethis summer they dont make horror like they used to nore do they have a good selection
im looking forward to reading web of lies
and trying to dwindle down my 400+ tbr pile other then that thats about it really
Great post! I love Gin, she is an awesome character.
ReplyDeleteSinn -- I have to say I'm not crazy about horror movies. Just not my thing, although I did enjoy the tongue-in-cheek humor of the Scream movies.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I hope you enjoy Web of Lies.
Tiah -- Thanks! I appreciate that. ;-)
I like urban fantasy series very much.
ReplyDeleteI like urban fantasy series very much .
ReplyDeletehi Jennifer,
ReplyDeleteI havent gotten to read this series yet but I did hear about it recently and added it to my to-reads list :D
But I love & agree with your YA picks! Just finished Spirit Bound couple days ago and I'm frothing at the bit for Mockingjay :)
Do u write (or plan to) any YA?
As for movies, I look forward to seeing "Get Him to the Greek" w/Jonah Hill & Russell Brand. And then there's a new tv series based on Tess Gerritsen's novels called Rizzoli & Isles starring Angie Harmon coming to TNT that I'm excited to check out too.
The last couple paranormals that I've read & loved were Silver Borne from the Mercy Thompson series and Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series. Now I totally wanna marry Bones too, lol
Hey Jennifer! I love your series so far... admittedly I have only read Spider's Bite but you totally sucked me in! I have yet to try and make that pb sandwich though..
ReplyDeleteThanks for the chance to win ~ Miranda
Oh, I love the Immortals after Dark series. Great interview.
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Of course, you've just caused my wishlist to explode again! *L*
ReplyDeleteLove the Bigtime series, and looking forward to reading Web of Lies! Jennifer rocks!
Thank you for the giveaway!!!
ReplyDeleteI love the Bigtime series! My favorite summer movies are Dirty Dancing, Pretty Woman, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and anything Disney. My favorite paranormal series are by Charlaine Harris, Laurell K. Hamilton, Carrie Vaughn, Kelley Armstrong, MaryJanice Davidson, Rachel Caine, and P.C. & Kristin Cast.
Aloha Jennifer!!
ReplyDeleteAs you already know I am big fan of the Elemental Assassin series! I already own my copies so I will not be entering but I had to come by and say I love your book picks!=)
We have several series faves in common :)
ReplyDeleteYour covers for both of your series are gorgeous - lucky girl!
Oh my she has written so much!! :)
ReplyDeleteWow a lot of her favorites are my favorites too. Can't get enough of supernatural or action books. Love them all! :)
Great interview. Thanks for the info on all the books you have written Jennifer. I have not read any of your books do do have both these on my wish list.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the opportunity to enter.
misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com
I'm so, so bad with actually seeing movies...but I'mm hoping to read Glimmmerglass, too, Michele Bardsley's first book, another Harry Dresden book, and the Generation Dead series . . . and I just love these contests for books I already wanted to read!
ReplyDeleteSome of my favorite paranormal books are the Demonica series by Larissa Ione, the Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole, & the Lords of the Underworld series by Gena Showalter. :)
ReplyDelete