22 June 2010

**Visit Tynga’s Reviews today for her PSF Interview & Giveaway with Stacey Kade author of THE GHOST AND THE GOTH**

Please welcome Adrian Phoenix today.  Adrian is a writer of Dark Urban Fantasy including The Maker's Song series and the brand new Hoodoo series debuting on June 29, 2010 with BLACK DUST MAMBO.  Adrian is answering all my questions today (like what exactly is hoodoo?) and giving away LOTS of books.  Details below.

image

Adrian Phoenix has had stories published in several magazines and anthologies. She currently lives in Oregon (with three cats, of course), but travels to New Orleans, the city of her heart, whenever possible.

 

 


Interview

ATUF: How does this new series differ from The Maker’s Song series?

AP: This series is a bit lighter, more humorous, and focuses on hoodoo, loa, loup garou, and magic instead of gorgeous vampires and fallen angels and twisted killers. BLACK DUST MAMBO even offers a wet boxers contest.

    ATUF: The main character, Kallie Riviere, is “a fiery Cajun hoodoo apprentice.” I've heard of voodoo before, but what exactly is hoodoo?

    imageAP: Hoodoo is folk magic, basically. It’s also known as “rootwork” by practitioners. The main difference between it and voodoo is that voodoo is a religion, with priestesses (mambos), priests (houngans) and devoted practitioners who participate in ceremonies to summon the loa (natural spirits and those of the dead), while Hoodoo is a system of folk magic following the same belief system as Voodoo, including the same gods/loas/saints.

    imageWith hoodoo, there are no priests or priestesses or ceremonies, just root doctors and root workers (also known as conjurers) working out of their homes and/or botanicas. Root doctors/root workers are consulted by members of their neighborhoods and communities for spells/cures/potions when ill (or feeling a tad cursed or full of bad luck) as often as a person would visit the local pharmacy.

    imageLaying tricks and foot magic, breaking/making hexes, creating natural medicines and cures for illnesses of all kinds--heart, body, and soul. Poppets (voodoo dolls) are made for positive purposes as well as negative. To keep love and passion alive, to disperse negative energy and draw in positive. Candle magic. Divination with cards and shells and bones

    ATUF: BLACK DUST MAMBO takes place in New Orleans and the Louisiana Bayou. How much of the story and characters are influenced by this setting?

    imageAP: Pretty much all of it. The story starts in New Orleans at annual carnival for magic practitioners and ends in Bayou Cyprés Noir. Many of the characters are from the area and lived there most of their lives.

      ATUF: What sort of paranormal creatures can we expect to run across in Kallie's world?

      AP: All kinds, actually – ghosts, loa, loup garou, the occasional zombie, swamp creatures and other paranormal critters TBD and, whenever Kallie heads into the Big Easy, a vampire or two.

        ATUF: I love the title of your book. BLACK DUST MAMBO immediately conveys so much about the key elements of your story. How did you come up with it?

        AP: Thanks! I started off by looking at various types of hoodoo potions and terms, then took a quick look at blues songs about hoodoo (there are a TON of very cool songs dating back to the 1930s) and the first title I came up with was BLACK DUST HOODOO BLUES. My editor felt (rightly) that it was a little long and not sexy enough, so then I came up with the current title.

          ATUF: If BLACK DUST MAMBO were ever made into a movie, who would your dream or, to keep things interesting, nightmare cast be?

          image

          AP: Great question, and one I don’t have an answer for. Only one actor pops into mind – Rupert Everett for Lord Basil Augustine.

            ATUF: What other projects can we look forwarding to reading from you soon?

            AP: Book Four of The Maker’s Song, ETCHED IN BONE, will be out the end of February 2011 and BLACK HEART LOA will be released in July 2011, followed by Book Five of The Maker’s Song.

            ATUF: What are some of your favorite titles/authors in the paranormal genres?

            image AP: I love Jeaniene Frost’s Night Huntress series; Jeri Smith-Ready’s WVMP series and her new YA series, Shade; D.B. Reynolds’ Vampires in America series; Kim Harrison, MelJean Brook, Marjorie Liu’s Iron Hunt series, Mark Henry, Jaye Wells, Jeanne C. Stein, Kelly Gay, Devon Monk, are all authors I enjoy. Right now I’m reading STREET MAGIC by Caitlin Kittredge and enjoying it very much.

            ATUF: I'm a cover art junkie. What can you tell us about the cover art for BLACK DUST MAMBO? Do you know who the artist is?

            AP: It’s a great cover, isn’t it? I’m very happy with it. The artist is Steve Stone. My editor asked me for background input on this one, and I suggested the swamp shack, the candle in Kallie’s hand, and the blue bottles (for luck) hanging from the tree.

            ATUF: Can you tell us about your favorite scene in BLACK DUST MAMBO?

            AP: Choosing a favorite scene from BLACK DUST MAMBO is a tough request because I have so many! Let’s see . . . I think I’ll go with the wet boxers contest at the carnival in New Orleans and Kallie’s job of dousing the male participants with warm water. 

            ATUF: In honor of Paranormal Summer Fest, can you describe your perfect Paranormal Summer read? And where would you love to be vacationing while reading it?

            PSF

            AP: I would love to be draped along a velvet and brocade fainting couch in the French Quarter, surrounded by purring cats, with a tray of bon bons and good wine at hand, while I read a story full of action, humor, heartache, heated love scenes, and compelling characters that I never want to stop reading about.

            ATUF: Thanks so much for stopping by Adrian.  Come back anytime!

            Visit Adrian online:


            Want to read more from Adrian Phoenix?

            The Maker's Song
            1. A Rush of Wings
            2. In the Blood
            3. Beneath the Skin

            A 
Rush of WingsIn
 the BloodBeneath the Skin

            Hoodoo
            1. Black Dust Mambo

            Black Dust Mambo

            Giveaway

            Giveaway courtesy of Adrian Phoenix

            3 signed copies of BLACK DUST MAMBO, a bottle of hoodoo attraction oil & a handmade hoodoo mojo bag for love or protection or success, and a complete set of signed The Maker’s Song books (A Rush of Wings, In the Blood, and Beneath the Skin).

            imageimageimage image

            Release date: June 29, 2010

            Book Description

            "There will be times, girl, when all your magic ain't going to be enough, times when it will seem to dry up like mud under the noonday sun, or even make matters worse . . ."  

            Kallie Riviere, a fiery Cajun hoodoo apprentice with a talent for trouble, finds herself smack-dab in the middle of one of those times her mentor warned her about when she visits New Orleans to attend the Hecatean Alliance's annual carnival: her hard-bodied conjurer hookup ends up dead in her blood-drenched bed. And he was killed by something that Kallie would never dream of touching -- the darkest of dark juju, soul-eating juju -- a black dust hex that may have been meant to kill her.

            Now Kallie has to use every bit of hoodoo knowledge and bayou-bred mojo she possesses to clear her own name and find the killer -- even as that dark sorcerer hunts Kallie and her friends. But Kallie's search for the truth soon leads her in a direction she never anticipated -- back home to Bayou Cypres Noir, and to Gabrielle LaRue, Kallie's aunt, protector, and hoodoo mentor . . . who is looking more and more like she just might be the one who wants Kallie dead.

            Click HERE to read an excerpt from BLACK DUST MAMBO

            GIVEAWAY GUIDELINES

            1. Open to Internationally
            2. Fill out the form below
            3. Entries for all Paranormal Summer Fest giveaways must be received by Midnight MST on July 4th.  All the giveaways winners will be announced on July 6th.

            I would greatly appreciate if you shared this giveaway on your blog or favorite social networks.  And please say hi to Adrian. Thanks!


            Interested in being interviewed on All Things Urban Fantasy?  CONTACT ME

            31 comments:

            1. Great interview and WOW-awesome contest!

              ReplyDelete
            2. Awesomeness! I actually just started reading A Rush of Wings. It's fantastic!

              ReplyDelete
            3. This comment has been removed by the author.

              ReplyDelete
            4. Black Dust Mambo sounds like a fantastic book, and what a stunning cover!

              ReplyDelete
            5. Bethany, Smash Attack, and Barbara,

              I'm glad you enjoyed the interview! Thanks for joining us!

              ReplyDelete
            6. What an interesting concept to the UF genre. This is certainly one for me and my husband to read, what we call a 2fer.

              Hmm - Which mojo bag works best for health concerns I wonder?

              Thanks for the wonderful contest!
              Dawn & Ron

              ReplyDelete
            7. think you really got great book covers!!!!!!!!!!
              gypsywitch36@yahoo.com

              ReplyDelete
            8. A timely subject since I might be passing through the Big Easy towards the end of summer- crossing fingers that we'll have time to visit. Hoodoo is probably one of the most fascinating aspects of that region and I want to explore it a bit. The people have such a deep faith...it's almost scary. New Orleans is one of the only cities in the world where you do not have to hide who you are. They seem to really embrace individuality, all while maintaining a close community.

              I cannot wait for this book! Love the Maker's Song series so far. Dante remains one of my favorite characters in paranormal fiction.

              Adrian- Thanks so much for the great interview and best of luck with the book release.

              Abigail- PSF has been fantastic fun and a huge success! You rock!

              Anna
              vampchixreadbooks@gmail.com

              ReplyDelete
            9. Hi Dawn and Ron:

              Thanks for the support! I hope you enjoy Black Dust Mambo. There are several different mojo bags for health, it all depends on what is needed. ;)

              ReplyDelete
            10. Anna, as always, thank you so much for your support! I really appreciate it. So glad you enjoyed the interview!

              I hope you have a chance to drop by the Big Easy! I'll be there doing more research and hanging out in October.

              I totally agree with your comments regarding New Orleans.

              hugs!

              ReplyDelete
            11. Thank you for the interview and for making this awesome giveaway intrenational! :)

              ReplyDelete
            12. Love that Black Dust Mambo cover--reminds me of home! Thanks for visiting.

              ReplyDelete
            13. Bethany C - Isn't it awesome? Adrian just kept adding items to the giveaway!

              Smash attack - I need to read the whole series. Soon I hope :)

              Barbara E. - He is a new artist to me, but if you check out his site he has done several of my favorite UF covers.

              Adrian - Thank you again!

              Noseeroda - How fun that your hubby reads UF with you!

              Anonymous - I completely agree about the awesome book cover.

              Anna D - what a cool vacation. I hope you get to read this book before you go. And I'm so glad you're loving PSF!

              Giada - Again, that's all the super generosity of Adrian :)

              LSUReader - I hope you don't live in a swap shack :)

              ReplyDelete
            14. I'm in cover heaven! What an amazing contest, thank you!

              ReplyDelete
            15. Whoo! I finally got the chance to stop by.

              Hi Adrian! And Abigail :)

              Thanks for the interview. The covers are always so amazing for your books. I cant wait to see Etched In Bone's. Looking forward to reading about Kallie.

              Rachel

              ReplyDelete
            16. Abigail - Actually, my husband introduced me to the genre (he wanted me to make sure that I let you know that). Now we have fun discovering new authors and series together and adding them to our ever expanding 2fer TBR pile.

              We also wanted to add what a great job you and Tynga are doing with PSF!

              Dawn & Ron

              ReplyDelete
            17. Adrian I am counting the days until BDM is released. Wonderful interview but I don't think you have ever done a bad one. You are one of the best authors around your books are great and you are awesome. And I know the boys are probably grumbling "what about us" tell them they already know they rock so why should I remind them *wink*
              Hugs,
              Annette

              ReplyDelete
            18. Tiah - it is a beauty :)

              Rachel445 - I'm glad you made it. And I'm with you on looking forward to Etched in Bones's cover.

              MrMrsReader - That is awesome. I know so many wives's whose husbands won't even pick up an UF. And thank you. We still have a few big things coming up this week :)

              afstone3 - You sound like a true fan. I'm glad you enjoyed the interview too!

              ReplyDelete
            19. Thanks for the contest! I'm loving PSF! And New Orleans is awesome... I think I need to add this book to my wish list. : )

              ReplyDelete
            20. Great interview Abagail, Adrian!!
              I haven't had a chance to read any of Adrian's work, so this is the perfect contest for me. Thanks for the opportunity. I'm really looking forward to reading Black Dust Mambo!

              Abagail, PSF seriously rocks!

              ReplyDelete
            21. Hi Adrian! Awesome giveaway! Black Dust Mambo sounds awesome! I've got The Makers Song series on my wishlist and now I'm definitely adding your new Hoodoo series too!

              ReplyDelete
            22. Hi! I must admit I am an Adrian virgin! BUT I am adding all to my TBB list!! Thanks for the giveaway! And congrats on your upcoming release!!

              ReplyDelete
            23. Looks like a great read. I will be adding it to my TBR list. I love stories that focus on folk magic. It introduces people to things they might not have known existed.

              ReplyDelete
            24. Hi Adrian, Great interview and I have book on my wish list. Thanks for stopping by to chat.

              Filled out the form and thanks for the opportunity to enter.

              misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

              ReplyDelete
            25. Christa & KittNLuv - Thanks for the PSF love. Tynga and were counting up the number of books we're giving away and its like 160! I hope you both win some :)

              ReplyDelete
            26. I am REALLY looking forward to reading Black Dust Mambo. I have to say, that I love the name very much.

              ReplyDelete
            27. Aloha Adrian!

              I am wicked excited about this release!=) I am a fan of yours from The Maker's Song series!


              Mahalo!!!

              ReplyDelete
            28. I just love the premise of this series! SO unique.

              ReplyDelete
            29. Great interview. I am sharing on my facebook.

              dorcontest at gmail to com
              doreen riopel

              ReplyDelete

            ShareThis

            Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

            About ATUF

            Started in 2009, All Things Urban Fantasy is the place 'Where Para is Normal'. This your one stop for all things Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Paranormal YA, & select Speculative Fiction titles (Dystopian and Steampunk etc.). Want to know more about ATUF? Read the About page.

            If you are an author, publisher, or publicist that would like a book reviewed on this site please Request a Review. All inquires are welcome.

            Interviews? Guest blogs? Giveaways? Book Tours? Promotion of any kind? Contact us

            Follow ATUF

            Current Giveaways

            Mouseover for details & click to enter giveaway

            More coming soon

            See our Giveaway Policy

            Upcoming Guests

            Want to be a guest? Fill out our Guest Request Form

            Recent Comments

            Grab Our Button

            All Things Urban Fantasy

            Sites & Info

            Blog Archive

            Labels

            Copyright Text