When I heard the title of Vicki Lewis Thompson’s new series, Babes on Brooms, and then the the first two books in the series, Blond with a Wand & Chick with a Charm, I was sold. I immediately invited Vicki for a visit, and not only did agree…she brought prizes! Check the end of this post for the giveaway details.
New York Times bestseller Vicki Lewis Thompson believes love makes the world go around and laughter makes the trip worth taking. An eight-time RITA nominee, the 2008 recipient of RWA’s Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievement Award , and author of more than ninety books, Vicki pioneered a new kind of romance hero with Nerd in Shining Armor, Kelly Ripa’s book club pick in 2003. Following the success of her nerd stories, Vicki launched a boisterous paranormal series in 2007. Over Hexed appeared in October, 2007, Wild & Hexy in June of 2008, and Casual Hex in March, 2009.
I MIGHT BE A WITCH
by
Vicki Lewis Thompson
Many thanks to Abigail for inviting me to blog today! To show my appreciation for being here, I’m giving away both Babes on Brooms novels, autographed, of course!. One commenter will get BLONDE WITH A WAND and another will get CHICK WITH A CHARM. Good luck on this almost-St. Paddy’s Day!
As I thought about a blog topic, I decided this would be the perfect place to talk about my ancestors. You see, one of them was hanged as a witch. In fact, my middle name of Lewis (which is a middle name, not a maiden name) is a surname from the branch of the family that, when traced back to my New England roots, leads to this very woman.
I discovered this info in the eighties from an aunt who studied the family tree. At the time I wrote mostly for Harlequin Temptation and didn’t even consider writing paranormal. Sure, I thought tarot was cool, and I was constantly buying astrology books, but writing paranormal romance didn’t cross my mind. Then in 2004, a writer named Terey daly Ramin asked me to write a chapter in Bewitched, Bothered & BeVampyred, a project where all the proceeds would go to the International Red Cross for their disaster relief fund.
I wanted to contribute, but I didn’t write paranormal. She told me not to worry about one measly little chapter. She assigned to one called “A Spell of C.R.A.F.T” (an acronym for Can’t Remember A F**king Thing). So I wrote the chapter, and LOVED DOING IT. I was in some good company in that book – PC Cast, Gena Showalter, Mary Janice Davidson, and Mary Jo Putney, to name a few – and I didn’t have sense enough to know it because I just wasn’t into paranormal.
But the seed had been planted. Incidentally, you can’t get the book new anymore. The publisher went out of business and used copies are selling anywhere from $33 to $200. I have one copy, and I’m guarding it.
Fast forward to the present day, and I now have five paranormals out there and two more on the way in 2011! I love writing them. With straight contemporary romance you have to stick to what’s real, but in paranormal romance you can make up anything, as long as you’re consistent in the world you create. I adore that. I also adore researching magic and Wicca, and crystals – basically anything related to witchcraft. I’m thinking maybe it’s in my blood.
So, anyone out there own a tarot deck? Crystals? Books on astrology? I’d love to have you tell me what fascinates you about the paranormal world!
Visit Vicki on her website HERE
Thanks Vicki! Come back anytime.
Giveaway
(1) one winner will receive a signed copy of Blond with a Wand by Vicki Lewis Thompson
&
|
Sexy witch Anica Revere has one absolutely unwavering rule: never, under any circumstances, get involved with a man before telling him she’s a witch. Still, what’s one silly rule? Especially when the guy in question is as cute as Jasper Danes. But when Anica and Jasper have a spat, she breaks an even bigger rule of witchcraft and turns him into a cat. Bad news for him. Worse for her. With Anica stripped of her powers for the witchy infraction, it’s up to Jasper to undo the hex—but he never expected the hardest part of the bargain would be resisting Anica. The stakes are high, and the chemistry is off the charts. But what’ll happen if Anica and Jasper both fall under the strongest spell of all—love? |
Lily Revere is free-spirited and fun loving—two dangerous qualities in a witch. Especially while planning her sister Anica’s engagement party, and she needs a date! She’s determined to bring hot Griffin Taylor, but he’s a divorce lawyer who claims his job has warned him off romance. He may pretend he's just not into her, but she knows better—he only needs a nudge in the right direction. Slipping a love elixir into Griffin’s drink may not be the noble thing to do—but it sure works! Lily’s dreamboat drops all defenses and the two discover they’re perfectly matched—in every way. There’s just one problem: Are Griffin’s feelings the result of some truly good witchcraft—or is he really in love? |
GIVEAWAY GUIDLINES
-
Open U.S. residents only
-
Must be a follower with Google Friend Connect (right sidebar) or Subscribe via Email
-
*Include your email only if it is not listed in your profile
-
Leave a comment answering one of Vicki’s questions from her post.
-
Tweet, Facebook, Blog post, Sidebar etc. for extra entries (leave links)
-
Entries must be received by Midnight MST on March 27th






















not entering the giveaway as i'm not from the US, but:
ReplyDeleteI own about 5 different tarot sets and a set of medicine cards (native american). I love the symbolism of the tarot and there are some very beautiful sets out there.
Good morning, everyone! Sullivan, I have several tarot decks, too, and I'm always on the lookout for beautiful ones. If you or anyone has a deck to suggest, I'd be glad to hear it!
ReplyDeleteI have a set of tarot cards, but I haven't used them yet. I do think it will be really cool once I learn how to, though! My friends and I keep intending to have a tarot night.
ReplyDeleteI love the titles of those books! I'd love to win, so please enter me in the giveaway.
I'm a Google follower.
stephaniet117(at)yahoo(dot)com
I love astrology. I've always wanted my own tarot deck instead of using friends. I always wanted to learn more about crystals.
ReplyDelete+Follower
+robsad79@sbcglobal.net
+did a RT on twitter (http://twitter.com/robsad79/status/10572042399)
+facebook(http://www.facebook.com/robsad79)
+blogpost(http://robsad79.blogspot.com/2010/03/guest-blogall-things-urban-fantasy.html)
I have a set of egyptian cartouche tarot They are awesome!!!
ReplyDeleteEnter me into the contest please
audie@wickerness.com
I'm a subscriber
No tarot decks or crystals but I have had a couple books on astrology.
ReplyDeleteI am a follower
No tarot cards, crystals or books on astrology here but I do like reading about withches :-) Just watched Hocus Pocus the other day on TV. What a fun movie
ReplyDeleteI'm a follower
Stephanie G
sgradel(at)gmail(dot)com
Steph, here's an idea I'm trying. Shuffle the deck and pull out one card before going to bed, and read about it. That way you'll gradually learn the deck. Oh, and I don't do reversals.
ReplyDeleterobsad, I think you need to treat yourself to a deck! My favorite is the Gilded Tarot, and you can get it at B&N.com.
Audra, an Egyptian cartouche deck sounds awesome!!
I started out reading about astrology, throughthehaze, and then a friend showed up with a tarot deck, and I've been hooked ever since!
Sorry forgot to say I have the giveaway posted on my right sidebar!
ReplyDeletehttp://paranormalhaven.blogspot.com/
Hi Vicki, I have been fascinated about the paranormal world for yrs. I use to read my horoscope every morning for yrs then realized no matter what it was for that day it did not happen. Good days went bad, bad went worse.LOL. But I am still fascinated by all this magic.. I would love to win either book. Thanks for giveaway.
ReplyDeleteI am old follower via GFC
I am old subscriber
I follow twitter(@misskallie2000)
misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com
Stephanie, what a sweetie you are to post the giveaway in your sidebar, too! Excellent! Don't you love Hocus Pocus? My daughter and I watch it every Halloween and sometimes in between times, too.
ReplyDeletemisskallie, I still sometimes read my daily horoscope, but I think the problem with the one in the newspaper is that it's too general. I've had some tarot readings that were amazing, though!
I have one set of tarot cards that I absolutely adore. They are vampire tarot and the illustrations are gorgeous and a bit dark. I'm looking for a nice whimsical set right now.
ReplyDeleteCrystals? Too many to list:) I made a pouch for my husband to take on flights/TDY's- so he always has a piece of home with him and to keep him safe.
I also like using candles for relaxation. There was this great store back in Tucson that I practically bought out before we moved. I miss it. Haven't found a good store here yet but I'm looking.
Great interview!
Anna
vampchixreadbooks@gmail.com
Hi,
ReplyDeleteI have a set of tarot cards, but I never use them. They look good sitting on my bar next to the crystal ball I never use either.. Sigh.. I love the paranormal world, anything can happen and that appeals to me.
Google follower
retweeted on twitter @ tawania_e
posted on my sidebar
http://www.wickedreadingsbytawania.blogspot.com
tl.etheridge31(at)gmail.com
I used to own books on astrology in my younger days.
ReplyDeleteBlog follower
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ReenaJacobs/status/10578323710
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?v=feed&story_fbid=103783272985867&id=100000625830951&ref=mf
Sidebar: www.reenajacobs.com/blog
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/reenajacobs
Well I don't have any tarot cards, but I did have a reading once a long time ago. It was very interesting. I've never been much into astrology but it's probably because I never thought my sign ever fit me, I'm a LEO and it just doesn't really describe me. I do like crystals though I don't have any. When we were researching my family tree we discovered a long ago grandfather was a Cherokee medicine man, I thought that was pretty awesome. I have been reading paranormal for years and witches are one of my favorites, but it doesn't seem like there are too many out there. I tried to buy these two books yesterday but couldn't find them in town, so I would love to win one.
ReplyDeleteI am an old follower.
I am a subscriber.
seriousreader at live dot com
I don't own any of the stuff she mentioned. Astrology is just fiction, to me. I am interested in Astronomy though! (But I'm not into all the physics stuff. Ugh.)
ReplyDeleteWhat interests me in the paranormal world is anything to do with magic, vampires, special powers, werewolves, fairies, you name it and I'm there.
I tweeted: http://twitter.com/Door2Wonderland/status/10581090359.
I put the contest on right sidebar: www.thedoortowonderland.blogspot.com.
Thanks for the contest and entries!
Kelsey
Anna, I'd love to find a whimsical set of Tarot cards, too! As for candles, love them. My favorite online place is Big Dipper Wax Works, because I love beeswax candles.
ReplyDeleteTawania, I, too, have a crystal ball I don't use, and I should! It's very cool looking on my pewter dragon holder. One of my New Year's resolutions was to do more with tarot, which I'm doing, but the crystal ball languishes, just like yours.
Reena, revisit those younger days! It's still fun to explore astrology and I figure we might as well enjoy ourselves. :-)
ReplyDeleteA Cherokee medicine man in your family tree! That's very cool, Linda! Sorry to hear you couldn't find the books, though. As for not fitting your sign, maybe you need to check out Chinese astrology and see how you do with that sign.
LOL, Kelsey. Fortunately I write fiction, so that works out!
I don't own any tarot decks but do own a couple of beautiful crystals that are supposed to be lucky, I carry one in my car all the time.
ReplyDeleteThere's almost nothing that doesn't fascinate me about the supernatural. I love every aspect of it!
I don't own any crystal or tarot cards, and i love everything about the supernatural world.
ReplyDelete-blog follower
-u.s. resident
van p.
littopandaxpress(at)yahoo(dot)com
Connie, I take a travel crystal and put it in my hotel room whenever I go away. I should probably carry one in my car, too!
ReplyDeletevan pham, I love the supernatural world, too, and writing about it has been really fun.
I have a Celtic tarot deck, a gazillion books on astology, tarot, wicca, witchcraft and related topics and yes I have a few crystals and assorted other witchy paraphanalia.
ReplyDeleteI have always been fasciated with the paranormal. I think it's just a part of me. I'm not sure when it started exactly or why but it's been there for as long as I can remember.
~Roxanne
I have a tarot deck. I started trying to do readings, but then college classes restarted so I gave up after that.
ReplyDeleteI've always loved astrology. There's just something about that, and horoscopes, that appeals to the paranormal in me lol. Maybe it's because I can apply it to myself and others.
+1 Tweeted
https://twitter.com/Book_Faery/status/10586926969
I read a whole book on astrology and horoscopes! it was an interesting read!
ReplyDeletei'm a google follower
Hi there! Thanks for stopping by! I must admit, I do have a tarot deck, but I'm pretty skeptical about that sort of thing. I look to it more for insight than anything else.
ReplyDeleteI'm subscribed via email.
Thanks!
OMG, here I thought that you WERE totally a paranormal romance writer. I've read all your Hex books(loved them by the way) and never thought to check out your name at FantasticFiction.com(my main source for checking out the correct reading order of series). Well, I checked your name today and was floored to realize how many of your Harlequins I've read.
ReplyDeleteI love blogs as I have learned so much about the authors whose books
I've enjoyed.
What fascinates ME about the paranormal world- the what if? factor. Some of the people that you watch while shopping or eating out makes you totally wonder if they are not from another world or species at the least.
follower at GFC & subscribe by email
blogged
http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/ RECENT GIVEAWAYS THROUGHOUT THE LAND
tweeted @alterlisa
http://allthingsurbanfantasy.blogspot.com/2010/03/guest-blog-giveaway-vicki-lewis.html
alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
I don't own a tarot deck, crystals, or anything of that nature, but I love magic and the paranormal. I can believe, if only for a little while as I'm reading the book, that all of these fantastic creatures, interesting people, and magical happenings are real. I've enjoyed Vicki's books in the past, but haven't had a chance to pick up the books in this new series. They both sound really fun and I'd love to win either of them.
ReplyDeleteWhat fascinates me about the paranormal? Everything. My sister reads tarot cards, My hubby gave me a crystal for good luck and protection when we first met.
ReplyDeleteOld follower on Google
email subscriber
shared on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000594583971#!/profile.php?id=100000594583971&ref=mf
Shared on Twitter
http://twitter.com/jellybelly82158
Wow, I took off for a few hours and several more folks showed up!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like quite a collection, Roxanne. I'll bet you're well protected with all those crystals!
Tori, maybe once classes are over you can get back to tarot. In the meantime, you could draw one card a day, just for giggles. That's what I do.
Kailia, I find astrology fascinating, too. I need to read more about it.
Kimberly, I have a book that suggests using tarot for insight more than for predicting the future, so I think you have the right idea.
I don't own tarot cards or crystal balls, but I'm Irish so I have a four leaf clover necklace which I believe gives me a little luck once in a while.
ReplyDeleteI am a follower
usignolc(at)yahooDOTcom
LOL, Lisa! I know what you mean about looking at someone and thinking "that person could shapeshift any minute, now." It makes standing in lines so much more fun.
ReplyDeleteBarbara, that's what I love about writing paranormal, too. I sink into the world I create and I get to live there while I'm writing the book.
jellybelly, I think that's one of the most romantic things I've heard, that your hubby, before he even knew you well, gave you a crystal for protection. He must be very special!
cait, then I need to wish you Happy St. Paddy's Day! It's almost here!
ReplyDeleteI have a bunch of books on astrology! One I have compares your sign to your partners sign. It's pretty crazy how accurate it can be sometimes:)
ReplyDeleteI am a follower
My email is bangersis(at)msn(dot)com
I tweeted http://twitter.com/bangersis/status/10598084057
I'm signing out for the night, but it's been a great day here on the blog! Thanks to all of you for stopping by and commenting. Have a magical evening!
ReplyDeleteWhoops, I don't want to leave Angie out! Angie, I have one of those books that compares signs for partners, too, and it's spooky how accurate it can be.
ReplyDeleteOkay, now I'm REALLY signing off for the evening. It's been a blast being here!
I do not own tarot cards but they have always facinated me. I am a follower.
ReplyDeletelizzi0915 at aol dot com
I used to own a deck of tarot cards but I loaned them to a friend in high school and never got them back. I’d love to have my cards read. My husband had a reading before we’d met and was told he’d marry a woman with a son. We met a year later and we’re married 7 months after. I had a 2 year old son at the time. She also told him his mother was sick and not long after we were married my MIL was diagnosed with cancer which is now thankfully in remission. My husband is very conservative (total opposite of me ;) so I was really surprised that he went to a tarot card reader and believed what she told him.
ReplyDeleteI follow your blog and tweeted about the giveaway both @Mamabookworm
http://twitter.com/MamaBookWorm/status/10620920556
No tarot cards, crystals or books on astrology but I enjoy reading about witches
ReplyDeleteForgot to add that I'm a follower
ReplyDeleteI own some crystals, that I've just started using again. I wear a rose quartz necklace daily.
ReplyDeleteI'm a new follower
Skk25@aol.com
I own books on astrology, hand writing analysis and interpreting dreams. So while I don't have tarot cards, I think there are many things that can tell you about someone.
ReplyDeleteI'm an old follower.
ruthann at cygnature dot com
Please enter me and great contest!!!!!
ReplyDeleteSincerely,
Emma Michaels
SincerelyEmmaM@yahoo.com
I dont own any of it. Honestly I like reading about the paranormal and watching it on TV.movies but not living it so much.
ReplyDeleteLinked - http://donnasbloghome.blogspot.com/2010/03/contests-found-317.html
Sidebar - http://donnasbloghome.blogspot.com/
Tweet - http://twitter.com/DonnaS1/statuses/10655309492
bacchus76 at myself dot com
Hey Vicki,
ReplyDeletei've loved Paranormal things since I was 11 years old. A friend introduced me to a series of vampire books and I was sold.
I love that you can have any creature and make them however you want and know one can tell you you're wrong. It's your world.
-Leilani
vampiregirl813@gmail.com
Twitter:
http://twitter.com/Leilani_Lopez/status/10806791622
Sidebar:
vampiregoddess96.blogspot.com
I'd love to enter! Thanks! I'm a follower.
ReplyDeleteTweeted:
http://twitter.com/aikchien/status/10811998233
aikychien at yahoo dot com
i own a few different tarot decks. the ones that i go to the most are the Rohrig, the Sacred Circle, and the Fey.
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/Reni_Valentine
http://www.facebook.com/reni.valentine
http://www.myspace.com/queen_of_darkness
No tarot cards but I've always wanted to go and have someone do a tarot card reading for me. I have some astrology books.
ReplyDeleteI've been reading paranormal and fantasy books so much I'm starting to convince myself that there are witches, vampires and shapeshifters out there somewhere. :)
tweet - http://twitter.com/dawnpnr/status/10856665871
I'm a google follower.
I don't have any tarot cards, crystals or books on astrology but I find them all interesting.
ReplyDeleteVicki's books sound great. I love her writing. I just bought the Hex series.
I follow
ReplyDeleteI tweeted: http://twitter.com/Stacy_Stewart/status/11171855177
Thanks....Stacy
samnstacyATmeDOTcom