06 March 2010

Review: Must Love Hellhounds by Nalini Singh

image

Book Description:

From New York Times bestselling authors Charlaine Harris and Nalini Singh and national bestselling authors Ilona Andrews and Meljean Brook, tales of man's worst friend...

In these hound-eat-hound worlds, anything goes... and everything bites.
Follow paranormal bodyguards Clovache and Batanya into Lucifer's realm, where they encounter his fearsome four-legged pets, in Charlaine Harris's The Britlingens Go to Hell. Seek out a traitor in the midst of a guild of non- lethal vampire trackers, one that intends to eradicate the entire species of bloodsuckers, in Nalini Singh's Angels' Judgment. Find out why the giant three-headed dog that guards the gates of Hades has left the underworld for the real world-and whose scent he's following-in Ilona Andrews's Magic Mourns. Embark on a perilous search for the kidnapped niece of a powerful vampire alongside her blind- and damn sexy-companion and a hellhound in Meljean Brook's Blind Spot.
These four novellas by today's hottest paranormal authors will have hellhound lovers everywhere howling.

*Note* I’ll be reviewing each story in this anthology in separate posts.


"Angels' Judgment" by Nalini Singh

Review:
"Angels' Judgment" by Nalini Singh continues her Guild Hunter Series following Angels’ Blood.  If your interested in reading this series chronologically the order would be:

  1. Angels' Pawn (e-release, early 2009; this novella is written to stand alone, so it can be read at any stage in the series. Angels' Blood is the first book in the series.)
  2. Angels' Blood
  3. "Angels' Judgment" in the Must Love Hell Hounds anthology
  4. Archangel's Kiss

In her Guild Hunter Series, Nalini Singh capitalizes on the two hottest trends in the urban fantasy genre today: vampires and angels.  I know I don’t normally associate the two, but Nalini makes it work.

Sara wasn’t used to feeling sorry for vampires. Her job, after all, was to bag, tag and transport them back to their masters, the angels. –Angels’ Judgment

If you’re new to this series, the world building here spins traditional angel mythology completely on its head.  Forget everything you learned in Sunday school, these angels are lethal beings of unimaginable power as well as the creators (and masters) of vampires.  When a vampire tries to buck the system and go AWOL, Guild Hunters are called in to bag & tag them and drag them back to their angelic masters. 

“Angels’ Judgment” is a prequel to Angel’s Blood and focuses on Elena’s best friend, Sara. While on the hunt for a rogue Hunter who has been butchering vampires, Sara teams up with smokin’ hot Deacon (aka The Slayer) to stop the killer and survive the ‘angel sanctioned tests’ long enough to become the new Guild Director. 

I loved the original angels in this world and the strong, yet still feminine, character of Sara.  I’m not usually a fan of a lot of romance in short stories or novellas simply because there aren’t a lot of pages available to develop a love story with any credibility.  That being said, I thought the relationship between Sara and Deacon had more substance than most.  I especially liked the scene where she ‘protected’ him at the club. 

For me, anthologies are a great way to try out new authors and possibly get hooked on their writing style.  From there, good characters and unique world building will always reel me in, and with “Angels’ Judgment,” Nalini Singh has caught herself another happy reader.

Sexual Content: One brief non-graphic sex scene, one long semi-graphic sex scene, a scene takes place in a gay club without any description. 

My Rating (out of 5):

imageimageimage

Click HERE to read an excerpt of Angels’ Judgment


Product Details

  • Paperback: 368 pages
  • Publisher: Berkley Trade; X edition (September 1, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0425229599
  • ISBN-13: 978-0425229590
  • Cover art: Don Sipley

    Disagree with my review?  Email me your review for this or any other book I reviewed and I might use it for 2nd Opinion Review

    2 comments:

    1. Great review, I think I have this one in my closet, hmmm. I really must make an inventory list.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I have been thinking on getting this book. I may get it at some time here, when I get caught up with some of my tbr stack. It sounds interesting to try it out.

      ReplyDelete

    ShareThis

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

    About ATUF

    Started in 2009, All Things Urban Fantasy is the place 'Where Para is Normal'. This your one stop for all things Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Paranormal YA, & select Speculative Fiction titles (Dystopian and Steampunk etc.). Want to know more about ATUF? Read the About page.

    If you are an author, publisher, or publicist that would like a book reviewed on this site please Request a Review. All inquires are welcome.

    Interviews? Guest blogs? Giveaways? Book Tours? Promotion of any kind? Contact us

    Follow ATUF

    Current Giveaways

    Mouseover for details & click to enter giveaway

    More coming soon

    See our Giveaway Policy

    Upcoming Guests

    Want to be a guest? Fill out our Guest Request Form

    Recent Comments

    Grab Our Button

    All Things Urban Fantasy

    Sites & Info

    Blog Archive

    Labels

    Copyright Text