Throwdown Thursday is a weekly thing [hosted by The Neverending Shelf] where we tackle books with similar characters, covers, themes, etc. to determine which one rocks more. And it is up to YOU to determine the winner!
Last week’s Throwdown asked: Are flowers the tattoos of the Paranormal YA genre? I didn’t exactly pit two things against each other very clearly with that one, but I did think it was a notable trend that deserved a post. So instead of the normal results, I’m going to share my favorite comment from the post:
Danielle87 said...
It is a tad patronizing that PR departments seem to think that young women will see flowers on book cover and experience some sort of girly/magpie attack: "ooooohhhhhhh.... SHINY! Must buy!"
But I guess for every genre a lot of research is put into what attracts its readers to the cover - so there is probably statistical proof out there that girls buy books with flowers on them. How degrading.
I think the covers in that post are all very striking and while I wouldn’t suffer from an ”oooooooohhhhhhh….SHINY! Must buy!” attack, I’ll admit I would probably have a “What a lovely cover design. I’m going to read the back and then make an informed decision about whether or not to buy this book” episode. That’s different, right? Now if there was a pony trend in YA covers…yes, patronizing and degrading…unless the ponies were super pretty.
So I finally started reading Ann Aguirre’s BLUE DIABLO (Corine Solomon, book 1) after letting it sit on my shelf for more months then I care to admit. The description sounded really good too, not to mention the blurb from Patricia Briggs. But it ended up getting buried under newer titles…until now. My friend Rebecca from Dirty Sexy Books raved about Ann’s GRIMSPACE, so I knew it was past time I read this talented author.
So, I added GRIMSPACE to my wishlist, started BLUE DIABLO, and now I’m having to tear myself away from it to finish this post (and the petty part of me hates each and every one of you for keeping me from it—not to mention Rebecca for letting me go this long without reading Ann Aguirre), it’s that good. So, I thought I could spotlight the next Corine Solomon book, HELL FIRE, which comes out on April 6, 2010, and at the same time highlight another—much smaller—trend: girl leaning against a red vehicle. ON THE EDGE (another excellent book. I gave it 4/5 bats) has the jump on this mini-trend, but which do you like better?
Hell Fire vs. On The Edge
| Hell Fire (Corine Solomon, #2) by Ann Aguirre Book DescriptionThe second in the thrilling national bestselling series Product Details
| On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews Book DescriptionRose Drayton lives on the Edge, between the world of the Broken (where people drive cars, shop at Wal-Mart, and magic is a fairy tale) and the Weird (where blueblood aristocrats rule, changelings roam, and the strength of your magic can change your destiny). Only Edgers like Rose can easily travel from one world to the next, but they never truly belong in either. Rose thought if she practiced her magic, she could build a better life for herself. But things didn’t turn out how she planned, and now she works a minimum wage, off the books job in the Broken just to survive. Then Declan Camarine, a blueblood noble straight out of the deepest part of the Weird, comes into her life, determined to have her (and her power). But when a terrible danger invades the Edge from the Weird, a flood of creatures hungry for magic, Declan and Rose must work together to destroy them—or they’ll devour the Edge and everyone in it . . . Product Details
|





















I'm going with Hell Fire on this one.
ReplyDeleteHere I am, innocently visiting your blog as usual, and I see all these accusations! I feel like I'M the one always chasing YOUR recommendations Abigail, not vice versa. Besides, I don't even have Blue Diablo in my TBR pile because no one on PaperBackSwap will give up their copy (greedy @#$%!). I suppose I will have to unbend my cheap ways and just buy it brand new (gasp!). I hardly ever do that, but you're gushing already, and you haven't even finished it!
ReplyDeleteAs for the covers, I have to say that I like On The Edge better. The composition is a bit cluttered, but it does a good job of reflecting all the good stuff inside (namely that handsome dude who's name is escaping me at the moment).
My vote goes to Hell Fire. She looks like a kick-ass protagonist and I love that! :)
ReplyDeleteRebecca - Try Swaptree. I use PBS too, but I often have better success with Swaptree. I've got Grimspace on both my wishlists thanks to you, so hopefully I'll hit soon.
ReplyDeleteAnd his name is Declan :)
Just so you know,I bought "HellFire" TBR..Anything set in Georgia,is always a must read for me..TBR.Thanks Abagail..
ReplyDelete