06 May 2011

A big welcome to author Tracy Deebs today!  Tracy is the author of the soon to be released Paranormal YA novel TEMPEST RISING (May 10th 2011 by Walker Books for Young Readers).  I reviewed TEMPEST RISING earlier this week calling it “…the perfect book to sink into over the summer. Romance and adventure abound in this mermaid tale that’s a fin above the rest.”  Tracy was kind enough to answer some of my questions about her book including who she would cast in a movie version (I agree with her completely), and her publisher has provided a giveaway too. See details below.

First off, I’d like to thank Abigail so much for having me. I love this blog and it’s great to be back so soon Smile

Tempest RisingATUF: How would you describe TEMPEST RISING to someone who had never heard of it?

TD: Tempest Rising is a dark mermaid paranormal, with a kick-butt heroine, a love triangle with two hot guys, a battle between good and evil and a wrenching emotional decision. Oh, and surfing. Lots and lots of surfing Smile

ATUF: One of my absolute favorite things about Tempest was her refusal to feel sorry for herself in the face of the terrible choice she had to make. How important was it for you to have a character who didn’t mope?

TD: Hugely important. I know that a bit of self-pity is normal in a situation like Tempest’s, but at the same time, I wanted to show a heroine who was in control of herself even when everything else in her life was spiraling out of her control. Tempest wants to stay human, but when things happen that make that desire seem impossible, I love that she doesn’t whine about it, but instead does everything she can to make things turn out well for everyone involved in her dilemma.

ATUF: Most of the names in TEMPEST RISING have meanings that describe their characters. Did the names come first or did you search for names that fit your characters?

TD: A little bit of both, actually. Tempest’s name was really difficult for me to come up with—she went through three or four different names, and finally I had taken to calling her mermaid girl in my own head when I finally left it up to her and Tempest just popped up. Her powers and abilities all came to me after I’d named her, and definitely stemmed from that and not the other way around. The other characters were easier for me to name, and yes, I had an idea of who I wanted them to be before I named them, so I looked for names that represented who I wanted them to be.

imageATUF: What was it that drew you to mermaids?

TD: Honestly, I have been a fan of mermaids FOREVER! When I was little (like three) my mom bought me a VCR tape of Hans Christian Anderson’s The Little Mermaid. I watched that video at least once a day for three or four years. My mom swears she still has the dialogue memorized. From then on, I watched or read every mermaid movie, book or story that I came across. So, when I told my agent that I wanted to write a dark paranormal YA, though I wasn’t sure what I wanted it to be, and she came back a few days later with the comment “How do you feel about mermaids …” I was off and running. Within a week I had the beginnings of a proposal ready and within three months, we’d sold Tempest Rising (though at the time, it was called Rip Tide).

ATUF: You also write Paranormal Romance under the name Tessa Adams, and Romances under the name Tracey Wolff. How different is it writing YA?

TD: Wow, YA is completely different and yet not. I say this because I really believe YA is one of the most exciting markets to be writing in today. There are so many possibilities, so many new and fantastic ideas, that I feel really blessed that I’m able to be a part of it. For me, I think the hardest thing wasn’t structuring a YA novel, as to a certain extent, the structure is the same whether you are writing for adults or a younger audience. At the same time, writing in first person, and trying to get Tempest’s voice just right, was a little more challenging for me, simply because I had never written a first person narrator before. More than once, I wanted to be in other characters’ heads, and it chafed that I couldn’t. At the same time, I think it made the book stronger because I had to work so hard and be so careful in order to get across the feelings I wanted to show.

imageATUF: I'm a cover art junkie. What can you tell us about the cover art for TEMPEST RISING. Do you know who the artist is?

TD: I do know who the artist is. Walker has been absolutely fabulous to me with Tempest Rising, and part of that was that they hired an outside artist to do the cover. I fell in love with her paintings as soon as I saw them. Her name is Katarina Sokolva and here’s a link to her portfolio. http://www.alanlynchartists.com/katarinasokolova.html

ATUF: The ending of TEMPEST RISING is not a cliffhanger, but I can see potential for more Tempest books, are there plans for more? What other projects can we look forwarding to reading from you soon?

TD: Oh, I really hope there will be more Tempest books. I’ve always planned on it being a trilogy, as I have many more plans for Tempest and her guys, but right now we’re just waiting to see how Tempest Rising does. If things go as planned, there will definitely be more books ;)

As for what you’ll be seeing from me next on the YA front … in January 2012, The International Kissing Club by Ivy Adams hits the shelves. Two of my closest writing friends and I wrote this story about four small town girls who become international exchange students in search of life, love and facebook fame. And in Fall 2012, the first book in my dystopian Pandora trilogy will hit. It’s tentatively called Zero Day and is a modern re-telling of the Pandora myth, except instead of opening a box, my main character opens an attachment and hearkens technological Armageddon. I’m writing it right now and having so much fun destroying the world via virus and video game.

ATUF: If TEMPEST RISING were ever made into a movie, who would your dream or, to keep things interesting, nightmare cast be?

TD: TD: Oh, I don’t know. I have friends who totally cast their book as they’re writing it, or even before they start, but I’m so not one of them. Off the top of my head, I would love to see Emma Stone as Tempest—she’s one of my favorite young actresses today. For Kona (formerly known as Kai) , I think Thomas McDonnell would be interesting and for Mark, Chase Crawford Smile

imageimageimage

ATUF: Finish this statement with as much/little detail as you like: You'll like TEMPEST  RISING if you like...

TD: …surfer movies, dark paranormals, hot love triangles and mermaid heroines …

ATUF: Thanks so much for stopping by Tracy.  Come back anytime!

-------------------------------------------------

Tracy Wolff

Tracy Deebs lives with four men, teaches writing to local college students and spends as much time as she can manage immersed in worlds of her own creation. Married to the alpha hero of her dreams for twelve years, she is the mother of three young sons who spend most of their time trying to make her as crazy as possible.

Visit Tracy online:

Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook

One copy of TEMPEST RISING by Tracy Deebs

Tempest Rising

Available on May 10th 2011 by Walker Books for Young Readers

Tempest Maguire wants nothing more than to surf the killer waves near her California home; continue her steady relationship with her boyfriend, Mark; and take care of her brothers and surfer dad. But Tempest is half mermaid, and as her seventeenth birthday approaches, she will have to decide whether to remain on land or give herself to the ocean like her mother. The pull of the water becomes as insistent as her attraction to Kai, a gorgeous surfer whose uncanny abilities hint at an otherworldly identity as well. And when Tempest does finally give in to the water's temptation and enters a fantastical underwater world, she finds that a larger destiny awaits her—and that the entire ocean's future hangs in the balance.


Click HERE to read an excerpt

GIVEAWAY GUIDELINES

  1. Open to US only
  2. Leave a comment for Tracy about why you love mermaids & way to contact you if you win
  3. Winner will be announced on May 15th

Interested in being interviewed on All Things Urban Fantasy?  CONTACT ME

47 comments:

  1. I love mermaids because the undersea world is so rich with color and wonder.
    rickimc[at]aol[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Little Mermaid was my favorite Disney movie as a child (and it's still one of my favs as an adult). There's so much unknown about life under the sea, so it's makes for a great imaginary landscape.

    This sounds like a great book! Awesome cover.

    LHASSER @ GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mermaids are soooo beautiful!

    thebookishbrunette@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how magical they are and the world they live in. To swim ALL day! Awesome.

    robin [at] intensewhisper [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of a kick-butt mermaid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops! My email is abithicabooks@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love how beautiful and magical mermaids are!

    elizabethjhoskins@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have basically loved mermaids since seeing Disney's The Little Mermaid. I LOVED Ariel and basically wanted to BE her. haha... I love the cover of your novel and thing the synopsis is intriguing! Thanks for the chance to win a copy of it.

    seescootread[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love mermaid. Walt Disney's The Little Mermaid is one of my favorites. I think mermaids are so beautiful and the underwater world is colorful beautiful and magical. Please enter me in contest. I would love to read this book. Tore923@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What girl doesn't grow up wanting to be a mermaid? I always pretended I as a mermaid as a child when I was swimming in the pool :)

    juliecookies(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tracy. Tempest Rising sounds wonderful. Love the cover. I love mermaids because they are beautiful and magical and they get to live in the ocean.

    Crystal816[at]hotmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tracy, Thanks for the giveaway!
    I love mermaids because even in myth, there is still so much secracey surrounding them that it allows us to form our own ideas about them without feeling like we are straying too far from the myths.

    Lane

    moiraethefates(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love mermaids because they're so pretty, when I was younger my favorite Disney movie was The Little Mermaid. I whole idea of having mer-people living under the sea is fascinating.

    van
    Littopandaxpress(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love them because in a way they are free....free to swim as far as they can or want...

    vidishamun@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love them, because it reminds me of childhood. It's one of the memories I have that stands out, wanting to be a mermaid. It's really vivid. Plus, I love swimming :)

    Vivien
    deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love mermaids because there is something so sexy about them. And they get to live under the sea.

    lizzi0915 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love mermaids because I've always loved fairy tales and other mythical creatures. I love Ariel the little mermaid, and even Hans Christian Andersen's little mermaid. You know the good type of one!

    I also like the mermaids said to be scarier. Ones who try to drown you. They're cool because they're different from what we normally hear about. Those are only found in other kinds of tales! **Like the new Pirates movie!!

    jessbess2505[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think all little girls love the Little Mermaid based on the Disney version, but I love the Hans Christian Anderson version, even if the end is a downer... Thanks for the giveaway!
    NC
    bookishlilly@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love mermaids because they are so beautiful and seductive. I love creatures of the sea, so I love mermaids (and mermen) too! There aren't enough paranormal books about them.

    angeldream3[AT]gmail[DOT]com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would have to say I have always had a love of all things mermaid. I guess I loved them so much, especially as a little girl, because I am a swimmer so I always was in awe of mermaids who could swim all day and have those beautiful tails.
    Thanks for the interview and giveaway, I can't wait to read this book.
    apk1princess(at)live(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love mermaids because of their dual natures. It is interesting to see the hauman and fish characteristics and how they relate to different rules in society.

    smccar1 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow sounds really original. I am sick of the same old same old vamp-human-were story...bring on the mermaids!!! :) gotta love them fishy tails

    hense1kk AT cmich DOT edu

    ReplyDelete
  23. Alright so I have to admit my favorite Disney movie when I was little...ok maybe even now....is The Little Mermaid. I loved Ariel and ever since then I have had an eye open for mermaid stories...which there are not a lot of. But I am so excited that this book is coming out! I can't wait to read it!

    jen72684(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the idea that mermaids can experience the wild of the ocean and all of its mystery in a way that I never could. It just wouldn't be the same with scuba gear!

    jj.bonds@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. When I was a kid, I dreamed Of somehow having fins and being able to glide under the water. I just loved to swim so my big dream was to discover I was a mermaid. It was a fun fantasy. But thankfully as an adult I can still relive that dream from time to time in movies and books. The truth is I dont think I will ever lose that lure of the water and it's secrets waiting to be discovered.

    LadyVampire2u AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ohhh I've been keeping my eye out for this book for a while now! Can't wait to read it. I've always loved mermaids since I grew up watching and rewatching (and rewatching) The Little Mermaid. Ever since then, I've been fascinated my the mythology of mermaids and sirens. I love them so much that I wrote mermiad/siren book (I'm an aspiring writer:P )

    christinaferko(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love mermaids because they have the choice of two worlds; land or sea. I think it would be fun to explore old ship wrecks and find treasure troves without worrying about drowning. (and tease sailors) ;)

    I like the way Tempest's scales and tatoo matches the font used for the interview.
    I love the cover too. Amazing!
    d.septer at insightbb.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the idea of a world under the sea and mermaids make that idea more interesting :)
    throuthehaze at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've loved mermaids ever since I saw my dad's namesake on the big screen in a mer flick. :) I tease that I'm 1/2 mer since then.

    books (dot) things (at) yahoo (Dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awsome giveaway, and interesting book. I like mermaids because I think they're pretty unique compared to all the other supernatural beings. They're the only ones that are bound to water. I've yet to read a novel with mermaids.

    Thanks a bunch for a chance in the great giveaway.

    fchien16@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've always enjoyed stories about mermaids because the ocean is so vast, who knows, they could be real. Just because we haven't run across any yet, doesn't mean there aren't any. They could just be really good at hiding. I'm looking forward to seeing what Tracy has done with her mermaid mythology, and I think the cover is absolutely gorgeous.

    Barbed1951 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love mermaids, because I love the water and always dreamed of being able to breath underwater.
    marlenebreakfield(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I always love to swim as a child and to be a mermaid was just a natural choice for me because i wanted to swim with the dolpins.
    audie@wickerness.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have always loves mermaids and I'm so happy their is finally a book about them! Mermaids are so majestic and live in the ocean, I mean how cool is that? Thanks so much for the giveaway!
    readsbyflashlight@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. The attraction of mermaid books for me is the dual nature/shifter aspect of them - not to mention the almost alien underwater landscape they live in. And the more I read about Tempest Rising, the more interesting it sounds!

    Mickie T
    mdturett at juno . com

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love mermaids as this is an are that has by no means been tapped out yet.

    (\___/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love mermaids because there isn't much known about them, they are a complete mystery which leaves a lot to the imagination. =)

    TValeros18 @ gmail (dot) com
    at http://spadeshighreads.blogspot.com

    thank you for hosting this giveaway!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love mermaids because they are so different, and from the sea.

    The cover is beautiful! Good choice using that artist!

    meredithfl at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  39. As a child who grew up primarily by the oceans and in the water, mermaids have fascinated me for a long time. There was a part of me that always wanted to be one.

    Thank you very much for the giveaway!

    twiztidsharkie(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  40. After watching Disney's Little Mermaid I became a complete junky. Though I will confess to singing "Poor Unfortunate Souls" and "Kiss the Girl" then was probably healthy.

    shera.bookwhispers at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  41. I would love to win this book it sounds like one that I would really enjoy reading. Mermaids are so magical and always so feminine.

    miztik_rose At yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. I haven't read too many books about mermaids but I've always found them fascinating. I would love to read this book.

    seriousreader at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  43. One of my favorite movies is Little Mermaid always loved the world under the sea so pretty! Never read a book on mermaids but would love to read this book sounds very good!Thanks for the giveaway :)
    tishajean@ charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  44. Mermaids are the embodiment of everything mythological (and urban fantasy, if you really think about it). Woman and myth in one, reality and a fantastic possibility; what's not to love?

    magalyguerrero @ live . com

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love mermaids because they are beautiful and they get to live under the sea. I wish I could live under the sea!

    kmcfarland15(at)yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Needless to say that the Disney version of The Little Mermaid was one of my favourite movies as a little girl. Since then mermaids have always fascinated me. I always wanted to swim like a fish in the ocean.

    whitewolfreads AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love mermaids because...well because of the little mermaid. That movie has unleashed a curiosity in me.

    crazypplrok at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About ATUF

Started in 2009, All Things Urban Fantasy is the place 'Where Para is Normal'. This your one stop for all things Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Paranormal YA, & select Speculative Fiction titles (Dystopian and Steampunk etc.). Want to know more about ATUF? Read the About page.

If you are an author, publisher, or publicist that would like a book reviewed on this site please Request a Review. All inquires are welcome.

Interviews? Guest blogs? Giveaways? Book Tours? Promotion of any kind? Contact us

Follow ATUF

Current Giveaways

Mouseover for details & click to enter giveaway

More coming soon

See our Giveaway Policy

Upcoming Guests

Want to be a guest? Fill out our Guest Request Form

Recent Comments

Grab Our Button

All Things Urban Fantasy

Sites & Info

Blog Archive

Labels

Copyright Text