|
|
Description: DEATH MAGIC opens with Special Agent Lily Yu in Washington, D.C. with her fiancé--lupi prince Rule Turner—to testify before a Senate subcommittee about her role in the magical collapse of a mountain last month. She is not there to tell them about the strange legacy she carries from that event—or about the arcane bond between her and Rule--or what her boss in Unit Twleve of the FBI’s Magical Crimes Division is really up to. She sure won’t tell them that the lupi are at war with an Old One who wants to remake humanity in her own image. More…
|
|
|
| Julia’s Thoughts | Abigail’s Thoughts |
| This series has gone through some serious changes, from soft focus to drawn, to an almost photorealistic urban fantasy look. I’m not a fan of the floating wolf head in the background, but I love Lily ready for action in the foreground. | I do love this, but it is almost lazily similar to the previous cover in this series. |
|
|
|
Description: The shadows deepen on the gaslit streets of New York City in the year 1880. Curses and spirits, demons and rituals, blood and faith, love and danger; such is the stuff of Magic Most Foul. Find your voice... or else.
|
|
|
| Julia’s Thoughts | Abigail’s Thoughts |
| I love the staging of this cover, the model poised either to climb out of the picture frame or about to disappear into it. | I think she’s climbing into it. Either way, I love the deep purple tones and the romantic quality. |
| N/A |
|
Description: Cal MacDonnell is a happily married New York City cop with a loving family. Seth Raincrest is a washed-up photographer who has alienated even his closest friends. The two have nothing in common—except that they both suffer from retrograde amnesia. It’s as if they just appeared out of thin air thirteen years ago, and nothing has been able to restore their memories. Now their forgotten past has caught up to them with a vengeance. Cal's and Seth’s lives are turned upside down as they are stalked by otherworldly beings who know about the men's past lives. But these creatures aren't here to help; they're intent on killing anyone who gets in their way. In the balance hangs the life of a child who might someday restore a broken empire to peace and prosperity. More…
|
|
|
| Julia’s Thoughts | Abigail’s Thoughts |
| Is this Chris McGrath? The aura is so deliciously otherworldly. | Gotta be Chris McGrath. He has a patent on gritty. Love this. |
| N/A |
|
|
Description: From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Shiver and Linger comes a brand new, heartstopping novel. With her trademark lyricism, Maggie Stiefvater turns to a new world, where a pair are swept up in a daring, dangerous race across a cliff--with more than just their lives at stake should they lose.
|
|
|
| Julia’s Thoughts | Abigail’s Thoughts |
| I started my love affair with fiction as “a girl who loves horse”, I watched Francis Ford Coppola’s THE BLACK STALLION umpteen million times in my happy childhood, and this cover brings back all my happy, horsey, childhood feelings. I can’t wait for this one! | I’m embarrassingly excited about the prospect of a new Maggie Stiefvater book. It looks like a thrilling romantic adventure. Cannot wait! |
| N/A |
|
Pre-order not yet available. |
Description: N/A
|
|
|
| Julia’s Thoughts | Abigail’s Thoughts |
| For a bare-chested highlander cover, I do like this one. The shadow on his chest looks a little bit like a tie, which just adds an extra layer of delight in my book. Business casual highlander, whoo-ah! | The blue light stuff looks odd, like a spider web or something sticky. Not a fan. |
|
|
|
|
Description: N/A
|
|
|
| Julia’s Thoughts | Abigail’s Thoughts |
| Love how crisp and in focus his eye is, and the sinuous curve of scrollwork in the background. Simple, but well done (and infinitely better than all covers that have come before in this series). | Wow. Very intense. The vivid yellow eye and the angle of his cheek bone adds another level of primitiveness to him. |
|
|
|
|
Description: Drama. Scandal. Secrets. And a whole lot of supernatural goings-on.
|
|
|
| Julia’s Thoughts | Abigail’s Thoughts |
| A little creepy, a lot of parody. The woman on the right does not have enough visual oomph to balance all the text on the left, strategically placed cupcakes not withstanding. | Ditto on everything you said, but Jess Haines has a story in this so I’m looking forward to it. |
| N/A |
|
|
Description: N/A
|
|
|
| Julia’s Thoughts | Abigail’s Thoughts |
| Very contemporary romance. A bit too cutesy for me. | This looks like the poster for a failed Katherine Heigl romantic comedy. |
| N/A |
|
|
Description: What self-respecting Alliance shapeshifter wants to go on a date with an icky, smelly human?
Rule number one of Midnight Liaisons? Humans aren’t worthy of dating the clientèle. More…
|
|
|
| Julia’s Thoughts | Abigail’s Thoughts |
| In this instance, the bright eye doesn’t work for me. The bulk of the thumbs down belongs to the heroine, she looks a little too young not to unbalance such a sultry cover. I’m definitely not the target audience for “Baby-face Dates the Beast.” | This reminds me a little of the Bound By Blood cover from Laurie London. I love that he’s looking at us rather than her. |
| N/A |
|
|
Description: N/A
|
|
|
| Julia’s Thoughts | Abigail’s Thoughts |
| Oh come on, could you get more creepy pale?! | Yep. There are vampires and then there are albinos. This guy appears to be both. |
| N/A |
|
|
Description: Murder is such a dirty word…
|
|
|
| Julia’s Thoughts | Abigail’s Thoughts |
| Very Brittany Murphy in “Don’t Say a World,” everything about this book has a wonderful menace. | Very creepy cool. I love the green coloring and the gothic vibe. |
| N/A |
|
|
Description: Darina is in denial. Even after all she’s been through, the Beautiful Dead can’t be real. They must be a figment of her grief-stricken imagination. But visions of Phoenix and Hunter prove otherwise and soon she’s drawn back to Foxton, to the barn, to Phoenix - where they have, what may just be, their final reunion.
|
|
|
| Julia’s Thoughts | Abigail’s Thoughts |
| There is something about this cover that is just… off. Facial expressions? Uprooted plants? Hillbilly wings? Perhaps the combination of so many incongruous elements just… bugs me. | The wings look like sloppy photo shop additions. Overall it’s a miss. |
| N/A |
|
Pre-order not yet available. |
Description: Once upon a time…the Blood Sorcerer vanquished the kingdom of Elden. To save their children, the queen scattered them to safety and the king filled them with vengeance. Only a magical timepiece connects the four royal heirs…and time is running out.…
|
|
|
| Julia’s Thoughts | Abigail’s Thoughts |
| Oh boy, I’m glad to see that the “I’m a pretty pony” series has improved with time.I think Jessica Andersen’s LORD OF THE WOLFYN has my favorite chest, but the peek-a-book cloaking of the LORD OF THE ABYSS above is nice as well. | …this whole series of covers is just skirting the cheese line too much for me. |
|
|
|
Description: He can love her, but he has to kill her first.
|
|
|
| Julia’s Thoughts | Abigail’s Thoughts |
| This cover combines several cliché elements of a vampire cover, but this cover model’s facial expression sells it. A little cheesy, but more sexy. | I’m going with a little sexy, but more cheesy. |
|
|
|
Description: N/A
|
|
|
| Julia’s Thoughts | Abigail’s Thoughts |
| I love the painted feel of this series early covers, but this and the last three have wandered into general Urban Fantasy territory. I feel like the cover above is indistinguishable from the House of the Night series. | I really like all the various title and detail graphics. The blue/black colors work nicely too. |
|
|
| Pre-order not yet available. |
Description: Lila Gray is just a human—at least that’s her mantra when she accidentally topples a building or bends a paranoid local's gun into modern art. That she can sense and control the minds around her doesn’t prove anything, either. Unwilling to put others at risk, she hides in the wilderness from the beautiful creature who hunts her, one who sees her as his ultimate prize.
|
|
|
| Julia’s Thoughts | Abigail’s Thoughts |
| Lisa Kudrow does UF! Above and beyond the Phoebe similarities for the cover model, The snowy grass in the background is lovely. | I’m not picking up on the Kudrow resemblance quite as much as Julia, but the icy effect looks great. |
| N/A |
|
Description: Samantha Trudeau has spent the past ten years using her intense psychic abilities to put bad guys behind bars. She's always believed she’s one of the good guys, until fellow spy and best friend Zoe reveals a shocking secret about who they've really been working for. When Zoe's gunned down, Sam goes on the run, because now her employer is coming after her. With no one to turn to for help, she flees to the only place she thinks she’ll be safe. Journalist Mac Hunter has had a rough year. At the insistence of his good friends, sisters Charlie and Alex Trudeau, he’s going to crash at their family cabin for some much-needed rest and relaxation. But when he arrives he’s stunned to find the third Trudeau sister, Sam, wounded and unconscious on the cabin floor. Things go from bizarre to dangerous when men with guns show up. More…
|
|
|
| Julia’s Thoughts | Abigail’s Thoughts |
| Love the posture and the gun, a little worried by the outfit… I’m hoping the text will explain. | I would never guess this was a paranormal book from the cover. I would have appreciated some kind of little visible cue. |
|
|
|
Pre-order is not available. |
Description: A hot new boyfriend. Prom just round the corner. And not a demon in sight ...Things have never been better for Eve Evergold, Deepdene's kick-ass witch. But when things seem too good to be true, they usually are. An evil far greater than Eve has ever known is at work in Deepdene - and it's hell-bent on turning her closest friends against her. This time, it looks like Eve is going to have to face her demons alone...
|
|
|
| Julia’s Thoughts | Abigail’s Thoughts |
| I love this cover, I feel like it hearkens back to the eerie eyes and lips of the first cover. I think I prefer the bird beauty mark to the thorns, but still, very eerie and lovely. | Yes, this look is getting very popular in YA covers, but I haven’t reached my saturation point yet. |
|
|
|
Description: Once the favorite son of the Lord of the Underworld, Lokan Krayl held enviable privileges and powers. Powers that led to a devastating betrayal—murder. But Lokan has help. Bryn Carr, the woman who duped him once before, is his beautiful yet unwanted guide. She's been sent by his brothers to aid him. She's his last hope. Lokan must place his fate—and that of the mortal and immortal worlds—in the hands of the one woman he can never trust.
|
|
|
| Julia’s Thoughts | Abigail’s Thoughts |
| While I like the detail on the author’s name, I feel like the color washes out any of the drama in the cover model. All I see is the color transition on the title, and that seems rather blah. | Oh, I like the title color too, but I really like his pose and the fact that they let a guy wear a complete shirt finally. |
|
|
| Compare with: |
Description: You've heard Vlad's side of the story . . . now, it’s Joss’s turn.
|
|
|
| Julia’s Thoughts | Abigail’s Thoughts |
| I love the concept and the execution of this cover. For a spin off told from Tod’s archenemy, keeping the same aesthetic but moving the vampire smile from t-shirt to ominous background is fabulous. | Me too. The concept is so unique and identifiable to this series. This spin-off has a more mature, sexier look too which I’m loving. |
| N/A |
N/A
And our picks for Best & Worst…
We both agree this week:
| Best | Worst |
















































































No comments:
Post a Comment