09 May 2011

We’re welcoming back M.K. Hobson, author of the new book, THE HIDDEN GODDESS (available now) today to share some of her favorite witches and wizards.  Julia fell in love with the first book in Hobson’s series, THE NATIVE STAR, last year and will be posting her review of THE HIDDEN GODDESS this week.

image

You can read all the previous Top 10 Lists HERE

My Favorite Witches and Warlocks
by
M.K. Hobson

1 & 2) Endora and Serena from Bewitched.

 
(Elizabeth Montgomery played the role of Serena but was credited as Pandora Spocks)

I could probably populate my entire top-ten list with characters from Bewitched, which was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid. But I'll restrain myself to my favorite two. Endora, of course, was the evil and powerful mother-in-law who was always trying to wreak havoc on Darrin's life. I was totally on her side, rooting for her to succeed, because I thought Darrin (no matter who played him) was a complete drip. Serena (Samantha's groovy cousin with the black hair and the beauty mark) was so completely awesome I wish the whole show had been about her (and her costumes) instead.

3) The Wizard of Oz (aka Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkel Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs).

While not really a wizard or warlock in his own book, all he had to do was ride his balloon into one of *my* books and he would have been hailed as one of the greatest Credomancers of all time!

4) La Voisin (aka Catherine Monvoisin)

La Voisin provided sorcerous council to the ladies of the ancien regime. There is the possibility that she was hired by the Marquise de Montspan to poison Louis XIV and one of his other mistresses (a rival to the Marquise.) Historical accounts differ on whether or not she was actually guilty, but there's no doubt that she was burned at the stake in the Place de Greve in 1679.

5) Nicky Holroyd from "Bell, Book and Candle."

Jack Lemmon as a warlock, playing "Stormy Weather" on the bongo drums? C'mon, you can't beat that.

6) Jacob Philadelphia.

I am so fascinated by Jacob Philadelphia that I put him in my story "The Hotel Astarte." He was a Rosicrucian stage magician around the time of the American Revolution, and he performed for the greatest crowned heads of Europe. 

7) Howl, from Howl's Moving Castle.

While I liked the movie all right, I thought the character of Howl was much more interesting in the book.

8) Baba Yaga.

She flies around in a pestle! She lives in a hut that stands on four chicken legs! She eats children! I defy to you name a more awesome witch from any folkloric tradition.

9) Maleficent from Disney's Sleeping Beauty.

She is, hands down, the best Disney villain ever. She can turn herself into a totally bitchin' dragon. When I was six years old, the fact that she actually said the "H" word filled me with anarchic delight.

10) Angelique from Dark Shadows.

As everyone probably knows, Tim Burton is going to be remaking Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins . The role of Angelique will be played by Bond Girl Eva Green. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

 


Book Details:

THE HIDDEN GODDESS by M.K. Hobson

The Hidden Goddess (The Native Star, #2)

(Available now)

In a brilliant mix of magic, history, and romance, M. K. Hobson moves her feisty young Witch, Emily Edwards, from the Old West of 1876 to turn-of-the-nineteenth-century New York City, whose polished surfaces conceal as much danger as anything west of the Rockies.

Like it or not, Emily has fallen in love with Dreadnought Stanton, a New York Warlock as irresistible as he is insufferable. Newly engaged, she now must brave Dreadnought’s family and the magical elite of the nation’s wealthiest city. Not everyone is pleased with the impending nuptials, especially Emily’s future mother-in-law, a sociopathic socialite. But there are greater challenges still: confining couture, sinister Russian scientists, and a deathless Aztec goddess who dreams of plunging the world into apocalypse. With all they must confront, do Emily and Dreadnought have any hope of a happily-ever-after?

Click HERE to read an excerpt

3 comments:

  1. These sound great, are they steampunk? The Native Star is going on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain Maiden - Yes, they do have steampunk content. Check out Julia's review for a better idea
    http://allthingsurbanfantasy.blogspot.com/2010/10/review-native-star-by-mk-hobson.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angelique (Dark Shadows) was one of the most evil-dreadful-nasty (although physically beautiful) witches I've ever seen on television. Meanwhile? I really wish Maggie Smith - as Professor McGonigal (Harry Potter fame) had made this list. I think she's the most amazing woman/witch EVER. :-)

    Thanks for posting. It was very fun reading your comments and reminiscing together.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About ATUF

Started in 2009, All Things Urban Fantasy is the place 'Where Para is Normal'. This your one stop for all things Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Paranormal YA, & select Speculative Fiction titles (Dystopian and Steampunk etc.). Want to know more about ATUF? Read the About page.

If you are an author, publisher, or publicist that would like a book reviewed on this site please Request a Review. All inquires are welcome.

Interviews? Guest blogs? Giveaways? Book Tours? Promotion of any kind? Contact us

Follow ATUF

Current Giveaways

Mouseover for details & click to enter giveaway

More coming soon

See our Giveaway Policy

Upcoming Guests

Want to be a guest? Fill out our Guest Request Form

Recent Comments

Grab Our Button

All Things Urban Fantasy

Sites & Info

Blog Archive

Labels

Copyright Text