Click author names to visit their webpages
Series: Swoon #2 Date/Publisher: 2011 S&S Cover Artist: Cara Petrus Cover Source: BLARGH Author Comments: Gorgeous! Breathtaking! Freaking amazing! And my personal favorite: OOOOHHH!!! Just some of the reactions sent by Swoonies on my mailing list when I shared a sneak peek at the cover of SWEAR, the sequel to SWOON. I gotta agree—and can without coming off conceited since I had absolutely nothing to do with the design. (That would be the enormously talented Cara Petrus at Simon & Schuster. Hail, Cara!) Abigail’s Thoughts: Sometimes it’s the little things that really make a cover appealing. In this case it’s the trio of petals resting on her shoulder Julia’s Thoughts: Just lovely, the way her hair and shoulders are arranged brought to mind a frozen moment of ballet. | ![]() |
Description:
N/A
N/A
Series: OSI #4 Date/Publisher: May 31st 2011 by Ace Cover Artist: N/A Cover Source: Tez Says Author Comments: N/A Abigail’s Thoughts: I normally don’t like these types of washout covers, but I think the centaur silhouette in the background is awesome. Julia’s Thoughts: The cover model looks a bit too Medusa-esque for me, and the flailing centaur limbs coming out of her head re-inforced that impression. I feel like this one still needs a little tweaking... ![]() | ![]() |
Description:
A dead body on the beach turns out to be a live demon on the run from some of the nastiest bounty hunters in this dimension - or the next. Protecting one demon from another, Tess gets wrapped up in a case that's as dangerous as it is mind-boggling, especially when it begins to involve her own past.


Description:
Stan Markowski is a Detective Sergeant on the Scranton PD's Supernatural Crimes Investigation Unit.
Like the rest of America, Scranton's got an uneasy 'live and let unlive' relationship with the supernatural. But when a vamp puts the bite on an unwilling victim, or some witch casts the wrong kind of spell, that's when they call Markowski. He carries a badge. Also, a crucifix, some wooden stakes, a big vial of holy water, and a 9mm Beretta loaded with silver bullets.
Stan Markowski is a Detective Sergeant on the Scranton PD's Supernatural Crimes Investigation Unit.
Like the rest of America, Scranton's got an uneasy 'live and let unlive' relationship with the supernatural. But when a vamp puts the bite on an unwilling victim, or some witch casts the wrong kind of spell, that's when they call Markowski. He carries a badge. Also, a crucifix, some wooden stakes, a big vial of holy water, and a 9mm Beretta loaded with silver bullets.
Previous Covers in This Series
N/A
Series: Covenant #2 Date/Publisher: 2012 by Spencer Hill Press Cover Artist: N/A Cover Source: Ramblings and What Not Author Comments: …a cover has popped up on the internet. And if you have seen it, it's the actual cover. So I figured I should blog it up. Abigail’s Thoughts: I love the simple beauty of these covers…they almost look like jellyfish Julia’s Thoughts: Beautiful, the colors and flowing shapes bring to mind an ice sculpture, while the background shapes and squiggles suggest the deep sea. I completely agree with Abigail's jellyfish reference, in the loveliest possible way. | ![]() |
Description:
N/A
N/A

Series: Chicagoland Vampires #5 Date/Publisher: November 2011 Cover Artist: Tony Mauro Cover Source: The Daily Snark Author Comments: N/A Abigail’s Thoughts: I was never a fan of the first two covers in the series. The bangs drove me nuts. Then it took my a while to adjust to Merit’s new look, but I kinda love this one. She looks calmly fierce and not over the top sexy. Julia’s Thoughts: I'm down on cover model faces tonight. The way she's positioned, all I see is her face, and her expression looks odd. I much prefer the side profile in TWICE BITTEN. | ![]() |
Description:
Clouds are brewing over Cadogan House, and recently turned vampire Merit can't tell if this is the darkness before the dawn or the calm before the storm. With the city itself in turmoil over paranormals and the state threatening to pass a paranormal registration act, times haven't been this precarious for vampires since they came out of the closet. If only they could lay low for a bit, and let the mortals calm down.
That's when the waters of Lake Michigan suddenly turn pitch black-and things really start getting ugly.
Chicago's mayor insists it's nothing to worry about, but Merit knows only the darkest magic could have woven a spell powerful enough to change the very fabric of nature. She'll have to turn to friends old and new to find out who's behind this, and stop them before it's too late for vampires and humans alike.




Series: N/A Date/Publisher: July of 2011 from Penguin Canada Cover Artist: N/A Cover Source: ...in Other words... Author Comments: I hope you guys love it as much as I do! Abigail’s Thoughts: The blue translucent panel is an odd choice, maybe it looks better in person, plus her hair looks like she drove to the photo shoot with her head hanging out the window Julia’s Thoughts: Too busy, my eye kept going from the bird to the girl to the blue square without feeling like there was any flow between them all. | ![]() |
Description:
Clarinet Reid is a pretty typical teenager. On the surface. She’s smart, but a bit of slacker; outgoing, but just a little insecure; not exactly a mischief-maker… but trouble tends to find her wherever she goes. Also? She unwittingly carries a centuries-old Druid Blood Curse running through her veins.
Now, with a single thoughtless act, what started off as the Summer Vacation in Dullsville suddenly spirals into a deadly race to find a stolen artifact, avert an explosive catastrophe, save a Celtic warrior princess, right a dreadful wrong that happened centuries before Clare was even born, and if there’s still time—literally—maybe even get a date.
This is the kind of adventure that happens to a girl once every… never.
N/A
Series: N/A Date/Publisher: September 1st 2011 by Zebra Cover Artist: N/A Cover Source: Wicked Scribes Author Comments: So, what do you think of the new cover? According to my editor, this is "edgier" than my other ones. I think she's right. Abigail’s Thoughts: I like everything except the pleats on this guys pants. you may have dies in the 80’s vampire guy, but your wardrobe doesn’t have to. Julia’s Thoughts: Nicole Kidman in a midriff top, what? Covers like this are all about the models, and the way these two are composed looks like something off of the Awkward Family Photos website. I loved the couple from SONG OF SCARABAEUS, although that may have been because of the fatigues. Abigail's right, pants matter. ![]() | ![]() |
Description:
A VAMPIRE’S KISS IS FOREVER…
Once featured in a horror movie, the crumbling Wolfram estate is said to be haunted by ghosts, witches, and worse. But Elena doesn’t believe a word of it—until she spends the night and wakes up in the arms of a compelling stranger…
Tall, dark, and disturbingly handsome, Drake is the most beautiful man Elena has ever seen. For centuries, he has lived alone, and Elena is the first woman to enter his lair—and survive. And Drake is the first man to touch her heart and soul. By the time she discovers who he really is—and what he craves—it’s too late. Blood lust has turned to love, and Elena is deeply under Drake’s spell. But forever comes at a price for each of them.
N/A
Series: Elder Races #2 Date/Publisher: August 2nd 2011 by Berkley Cover Artist: N/A Cover Source: Wicked Scribes Author Comments: N/A Abigail’s Thoughts: I’m intrigued by the idea of this series, but baffled by the complete disconnect from the first cover to this one. The headless/shirtless hero can sometimes work, but the pose is killing me. Julia’s Thoughts: This one made me laugh, the "missed my bus" pose combined with shirtless, headless man. This arrangement worked great on ENEMY WITHIN, but perhaps that's because the cover model had a head. And lots of guns... ![]() | ![]() |
Description:
He’s a wyr warrior, a god of storms. She’s the heir to the Dark Fae throne. But desire will bring both to their knees in this all-new Novel of the Elder Races.
During the rule of her murderous Dark Fae uncle, Thistle “Tricks” Periwinkle found sanctuary among the wyr in New York. Her ethereal beauty and sparkling personality won the hearts of the public, but after her uncle’s death, there are those who don’t want to see her ascend to the throne…
Able to wield thunder and lightning, wyr sentinel Tiago Black Eagle has ruled the skies for centuries. His massive build and thunderous power make him one of the wyr’s best weapons. And he’s sent to protect
Tricks when she’s almost assassinated in Chicago.
Soon, both Tiago and Tricks will fall prey to the stormy hunger that engulfs them—a passion that will shake the very foundation of all the worlds…

And our picks for this week’s Best & Worst…
| Best Cover | Worst Cover |










![bookdepository_thumb[9] bookdepository_thumb[9]](http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae307/AllthingsUF/bookdepository.jpg)

















Oh, god. The new Chicagoland Vampire cover drives me crazy. I think it is the worse cover in the series. I like Twice Bitten and HArd Bitten the best. I think I really just can't stand the red and the model's face, she looks like a man...everytime I look at the cover...UGH. I think I don't like the read that much is b/c it seems soooo off from the other covers, the other covers have cool colors, like the purple, green, and blue..For Friday night Bites the yellow blends in with the other covers, but the read is just so off. It's like this cover sort of doesn't blend in with the others. highly disappointed.
ReplyDeleteI am in love with Pure! It is soooooo beautiful XD
And I love Swear. The Swoon Series covers are beautiful, but the ratings for the book aren't really good, I'm not sure if I will read it.
I love having a look-see at upcoming covers. SWEAR is the coolest and I know which books I'd buy (or not) based on the cover art. I know I will buy Justin Gustainis. That premise cracks me up and the cover is groovin'. Could be just me, though.
ReplyDeleteMariya - It's funny that you mentioned the model on DRINK DEEP looking manly, I was thinking the same thing. Something about the way she's standing makes her shoulders look wider than her hips, tipping the body ratio towards "masculine" (despite the leather and boobs...)
ReplyDeleteVickie - Scranton rules! *fist pump* I'm definitely going to grab HARD SPELL, I love it when vampires hit "close to home."
I think it is funny that the girl on the Battis cover looks like she is about to hit one out of the park.
ReplyDeleteNot a huge fan of Pure, the monochromatic thing going on just doesn't look...right (to my artist's eye). Maybe a better font...(I am getting anal...run!)
Swear is my favorite. The contrast of colors does its job and dazzles and catches my little ADD eyes.
Drink Deep is a little unsettling, the cover model reminds me of a girl I went to school with. A nice girl, but she had this glare that made you stay away. Sadly that probably wasn't the intended objective.
I absolutely love Pure cover! It's gorgeous!!
ReplyDeleteOh goodness I can't believe there is going to be a sequel to Swoon, as if the first one wasn't bad enough now we have to have more to that boring story. The cover may be pretty but don't let covers fool you.
ReplyDeleteAlexa - I haven't read Swoon yet. Did you review it? Can you share your link?
ReplyDeleteTotally agree with you girls!
ReplyDeleteFirst, I thought that my favorite today it would be SWEAR, but PURE cover is so lovely... It's the best cover I've seen lately.
INFERNAL AFFAIRS cover is also candidate for worst cover :(
Kisses!
I have to say Swear is definitely my favorite. It's so beautiful, I don't even care what it's about, I want to read it!
ReplyDeleteMaybe I'll read Swoon after all :)