20 May 2010

Review: Vicious Circle by Linda Robertson

image

Book Description

A girl's got to do what a girl's got to do....

Being a witch doesn't pay the bills, but Persephone Alcmedi gets by between reading Tarot cards, writing her syndicated newspaper column, and kenneling werewolves in the basement when the moon is full -- even if witches aren't supposed to mingle with wolves. She really reaches the end of her leash, though, when her grandmother gets kicked out of the nursing home and Seph finds herself in the doghouse about some things she's written. Then her werewolf friend Lorrie is murdered...and the high priestess of an important coven offers Seph big money to destroy the killer, a powerful vampire named Goliath Kline. Seph is a tough girl, but this time she bites off more than she can chew. She needs a little help from her friends -- werewolf friends. One of those friends, Johnny, the motorcycle-riding lead singer for the techno-metal-Goth band Lycanthropia, has a crush on her. And while Seph has always been on edge around this 6'2" leather-clad hunk, she's starting to realize that although their attraction may be dangerous, nothing could be as lethal as the showdown that awaits them.


Book 1 in The Persephone Alcmedi Series

Review:
Persephone Alcmeda (aka Seph) is little like Rachel Morgan and Stephanie Plum rolled into one. Like Rachel, she's a powerful witch who can tap into ley lines and manipulate magic. And like Stephanie, she has to deal with her batty old grandmother making comments about her love life and random people moving in with her all the time.

In the back of my address book was a list of contact numbers for the wærewolves who kenneled in my basement during full moons. My finger ran down to the name Johnny. A last name wasn’t necessary to clarify this guy. There was only one Johnny.-VICIOUS CIRCLE

VICIOUS CIRCLE has a sudden revelation world building scenario. The world lived in blissful ignorance of Wære, Vampires, Witches, and Fey until recently. The human population has been struggling to adapt ever since. The Wære have endured the worst treatment by far. Police won't investigate crimes about them and hospitals will discharge them regardless of their condition the moment the Wær virus is detected.

Seph is instantly likeable as the witch with sympathies towards Wære and a strong, if often reckless sense of justice. She has a quirky love for Arthur Pendragan aka King Arthur that does a nice job of humanizing her.  And the Wære/rock star Jonny as well as another romantic possibility who I won’t name keep things interesting and promise a bigger payoff in future books.

The biggest problem I had with VICIOUS CIRCLE is how small it seems. Nearly the entire book takes place in Seph's house. Plus it took a really long time before any action happened. I liked the character of Jonny as a playful and shameless flirt, but he didn’t have nearly enough scenes. 

Overall, VICIOUS CIRCLE introduces us the a complex magical world, a likeable heroine still unsure of her powers, and the potential for lots of romantic tension.  These all help compensate for a small, slightly slow story.  Hallowed Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, Book 2) is available now, and Fatal Circle will be out June 29, 2010

Sexual Content: References to sex.

My Rating (out of 5):
imageimageimageGood - A fun read with minor flaws. Maybe read an excerpt before buying.

Click HERE to read an excerpt of VICIOUS CIRCLE


Product Details

image

  • Mass Market Paperback: 384 pages
  • Publisher: Pocket (June 30, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1439154287
  • ISBN-13: 978-1439154281


Disagree with my review?  Contact me your review for this or any other book I’ve reviewed and I might use it for 2nd Opinion Review

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review!

    I began reading this book a month or so ago, but after a few chapters it just didn't pull me in and I moved on to other books. Like you pointed out, the scope of the environment in which the story develops seemed rather small and just not dynamic enough for me. Nonetheless, I haven't given up on it completely and will probably give the book another try later down the line. I hate not finishing books I've started...it just bugs me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. i might give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  3. Different strokes, I suppose - I liked that it was small-scale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marg - I had a similar experience. I really liked the character of Seph. Plus like you I can't not finish a book. And I'll never review one without reading every single page. I am optimistic for the next book in this series. I'll let you know :)

    Sullivan- Id you like the except, go for it :)

    Derek - Others did too. I tend to like bigger stories in general though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this book, but my big problem was all the references made to the dead werewolf, Lorrie, and how much Persephone bonded with both Lorrie and her daughter, Beverley.

    We never get a scene with Seph and Lorrie - yet we're to believe that Seph had such a tight bond with her that she'd gladly become foster mother to her orphaned daughter?

    It was Robertson asking a lot of the reader to go on the faith of a past that we're not privy to, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danielle87- i hear you, obviously I had a few issues with this book, but you're right about Lorrie, we really had to accept that relationship on faith. I hate that in books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like an interesting read. Maybe in book 2 the world will grow a little more, from the house. :) Thanks for the review. I may have to look into this one as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa - That's what I'm hoping too. I hear that it does, we'll see :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About ATUF

Started in 2009, All Things Urban Fantasy is the place 'Where Para is Normal'. This your one stop for all things Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Paranormal YA, & select Speculative Fiction titles (Dystopian and Steampunk etc.). Want to know more about ATUF? Read the About page.

If you are an author, publisher, or publicist that would like a book reviewed on this site please Request a Review. All inquires are welcome.

Interviews? Guest blogs? Giveaways? Book Tours? Promotion of any kind? Contact us

Follow ATUF

Current Giveaways

Mouseover for details & click to enter giveaway

More coming soon

See our Giveaway Policy

Upcoming Guests

Want to be a guest? Fill out our Guest Request Form

Recent Comments

Grab Our Button

All Things Urban Fantasy

Sites & Info

Blog Archive

Labels

Copyright Text