Throwdown Thursday
Throwdown Thursday is a weekly thing [hosted by The Neverending Shelf] where we tackle books with similar characters, covers, themes, etc. to determine which one rocks more. And it is up to YOU to determine the winner!
Last weeks Throwdown asked In general, do you like the movie version or the book versions better? The winner by split decision was: Book versions
“A Dhampir (also dhampyre, dhamphir or dhampyr) in Balkan folklore is the child of a vampire father and a human mother. Dhampirs often have powers similar to a vampire, but none of their weaknesses (though the reverse can occur, as well). A dhampir is believed to be unusually adept at killing and detecting vampires. As the concept became popular in fiction the idea of hybrid or half-vampires expanded. Thus, in the broadest sense, dhampirs can be understood as the children/offspring etc. of at least one vampire while at the same time, not a vampire themselves.” -Wikipedia
Having just reviewed Red-headed Stepchild featuring half-vampire/half-mage Sabina Kane, I realized the growing trend in Urban Fantasy fiction is to feature Dhampirs as main or significant characters. I can see the appeal, from an author’s standpoint: Depending on the other half in the equation (human, witch, demon, mage etc.) the dhampir can have endless strengths/weakness combinations which provide excellent fodder for creative story telling. But also as a reader, we get the vampires that are so hot right now, but with unexpected twists. So my question is (and I’m giving you three choices this time, but feel free to choose another): Which half-vampire is head—NECK--and shoulders above the rest?
Sabina Kane (Red-headed Stepchild)
Catherine "Cat" Crawfield (Night Huntress)
Dorina Basarab (Midnight's Daughter)
If you want to see a more (though not completely) exhaustive list of half-vampires aka Dhampirs in fiction, you can check out the Wikipedia list here






















Jeaniene`s Cat gets my vote.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to have to vote for Dorina Basarab- I love Cat but I think Dorina could take her.
ReplyDeleteI haven't read the other two so I'll have to vote for Dorina. What makes her interesting is that she is slightly insane, and if she gets angry she flies into uncontrollable rages (a bit like the incredible hulk!) Since many vampires seem to be control freaks, its quite different to read about a character whose weakness is losing control.
ReplyDeleteHave to go with Jeaniene Frost`s Cat.
ReplyDeleteOh, Cat is SO the best. I want to be just like her:) *snicker*
ReplyDeleteI must confess I haven't read this so when I get to it on my TBR list I will have pay close attention to Cat and Dorina (who sounds like quite the interesting character).
ReplyDeleteCat is the best by far.
ReplyDeleteI am a fan of Dorina
ReplyDelete