23 March 2011

Cover Art Coverage: 13 New Titles!

*Cover art may not be final*

     

One Grave At A Time by Jeaniene Frost
 
(Click to enlarge)

Stepback (inside cover)

Description:
N/A
  • Series: Night Huntress #6
  • Artist: Tom Egner 
  • Goodreads: Link
  • Publisher: Avon
  • Release Date: August 30th 2011
  • Source: Jeaniene Frost

  

 


“Yes, the model for Cat has changed. I was told by my publisher that the previous model is no longer doing book covers. However, I think the art director found a great replacement, and hey, Cat finally gets to let her hair down. After six books, she’s earned that, right?

Considering that Halloween is the holiday that’s prevalent in this book, I love how the cat (take a bow, Helsing, it’s your cover debut!), the somewhat spooky fog, and the orange font ties into that. I also love the stepback with its romantic pose. Clearly, Cat’s coat loves it, too. Look how happy it is to see Bones! ;-) .

I’m once again delighted with the work Tom Egner does. I’ve been so fortunate to have him design all my covers.” – Jeaniene Frost

Pre-Order From:

Julia’s Thoughts: Thumbs up

Abigail’s Thoughts: Thumbs up

The Book Depository

The wide eyes on both cat and woman are a little cheesy, but I think this is a good addition to the series.

It’s unfortunate they couldn’t get the same model, but otherwise I love this.  The instep is my favorite so far.  Its so sweet for two unbelievably tough people.
Previous Covers in This Series

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress Series #1)One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3)Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4)This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5)

     

Bloodstone by Nancy Holzner
 
(Click to enlarge)

Description:
N/A
  • Series: Deadtown #3
  • Artist: Don Sipley
  • Goodreads: Link

  

 


I’ve been waiting impatiently to share this, and heeeeeeeeere it is!  Gorgeous, isn’t it? I love the colors. I have to admit I was a little nervous when my editor told me they were going to show Vicky’s face on this cover, but she does look a lot like the way I picture her. Kudos to artist Don Sipley for another extraordinary cover!” – Nancy Holzner
Pre-Order From:

Julia’s Thoughts: Thumbs up

Abigail’s Thoughts: Thumbs up

The Book Depository I think this cover fits in well with the other Deadtown novels.  The artist gets major points for depicting the most realistic leather pants in UF (they actually have a fly!). See I’m taking points for the realistic pants.  They rarely look cool in reality and this cover shows why.  They are bunchy and a little too high in the waist.  Everything else is cool, especially the grim reaper in the clouds.
Previous Covers in This Series

Deadtown (Deadtown, #1)Hellforged (A Deadtown Novel)

     
Crossroads by Jeanne C. Stein
 
(Click to enlarge)

Description:
N/A
  • Series: Anna Strong Chronicles #7 
  • Artist: N/A
  • Goodreads: Link

  

 


You who know my history with covers, know I pretty much hate them all at first sight. No reflection on the artist, who is great, it's just that I have such a definite image of Anna in my head. HOWEVER, this one is the exception. I really like it. How about you?” – Jeanne C. Stein
Pre-Order From:

Julia’s Thoughts: Thumbs down

Abigail’s Thoughts: Thumbs up

The Book Depository The over all cover is good, but I can’t get past the expression on the cover model’s face.  There’s got to be a fierce way to bare your fangs, rather than that oddly slack-jawed expression. This series has some of my fav UF covers ever & this one is just as cool as its predecessors.  I love the smoke in her hair and the crossbow is killer.
Previous Covers in This Series

The Becoming (Anna Strong Chronicles, #1)Blood Drive (Anna Strong Chronicles, #2)The Watcher  (Anna Strong Chronicles, #3)Legacy (Anna Strong Chronicles, #4)Retribution (Anna Strong Chronicles, #5)

Chosen (Anna Strong Chronicles, #6)

     
Alterant by Sherrilyn Kenyon and Dianna Love
 

Description:

In this explosive new world of betrayals and shaky alliances, the only Alterant not incarcerated faces an impossible task — recapture three dangerous, escaped creatures before they slaughter more humans…or her.

The way Evalle Kincaid sees it, saving mankind from total destruction should have cleared her name. But when words uttered in the heat of combat are twisted against her, she’s blamed for the prison break of three dangerous Alterants. She has one chance to clear the cloud of suspicion hanging over her…for good. All she has to do is recapture the escapees. But deals with gods and goddesses are tricky at best, and now the lives of all Beladors, and the safety of innocent humans, rides on Evalle’s success. The only person she can ask for help wants to see her dead.

  • Series: Belador #2 
  • Artist: N/A
  • Goodreads: Link
  • Publisher: Pocket Star
  • Release Date: Sept. 27, 2011
  • Source: Wicked Scribes

  

 


 

Pre-Order From:

Julia’s Thoughts: Thumbs down

Abigail’s Thoughts: Thumbs down

The Book Depository Perhaps it’s the picture quality, but I feel like the blade of the sword is almost unnoticeable, and the half of the hilt looks like some sort of odd sex toy. Sherrilyn’s covers tend to go one the one, big, object/graphic.  At least they are consistent if not very imaginative.
Previous Covers in This Series

Blood Trinity (Belador, #1)

     
Last Breath by Rachel Caine
 
Last Breath (The Morganville Vampires,#11)

Description:
N/A
  • Series: The Morganville Vampires #11
  • Artist: N/A
  • Goodreads: Link
  • Publisher: NAL Hardcover
  • Release Date: Nov. 1, 2011
  • Source: Goodreads

  

 


“Here's a sneak peek at the cover of Morganville Vampires #11, LAST BREATH, which will be out in November 2011! I'm writing it now, and I can promise you some unexpected twists and turns ... and a last, big secret of Morganville that will change everything.

Oh, and don't worry ... there will be a Morganville 12 coming out in May 2012.

Ready? Here's the cover!” – Rachel Caine

Pre-Order From:

Julia’s Thoughts: Thumbs down

Abigail’s Thoughts: Thumbs up

The Book Depository Pretty stark, too generic for my tastes.  I much prefer the more stylized books from the start of the series, but they’ve been moving in a more mainstream YA direction for awhile.  All the white will definitely stick out in the series (which is quite the trick eleven books in). I consistently get a kick out of these stories even if the covers never quite do it for me.  This one is better than most, and I agree the white will make it stand out.
Previous Covers in This Series

book cover of 

Glass Houses 

 (Morganville Vampires, book 1)

by

Rachel CaineThe Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires, #2)Midnight Alley (The Morganville Vampires, #3)Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4)Lord of Misrule (The Morganville Vampires, #5)Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6)Fade Out (The Morganville Vampires, #7)Kiss Of Death (The Morganville Vampires, #8)Ghost Town (The Morganville Vampires, #9)Bite Club (The Morganville Vampires, #10)

     
Vampires Dead Ahead by Cheyenne McCray
 
(Click to enlarge)
November 29th 2011 by St. Martin's Paperbacks      Vampires Dead Ahead (Night Tracker #5) by Cheyenne McCray

Description:
N/A
  • Series: Night Tracker #5 
  • Artist: N/A
  • Goodreads: Link

  

 


No Author Comments

Pre-Order From:

Julia’s Thoughts: Thumbs up

Abigail’s Thoughts: Thumbs up

The Book Depository Totally cheesy, but I love how the cover model manages to make this piratical through body language alone (I’m imagining the guy in the background is Mr. Smee).  I’m not familiar enough with the Night Tracker series to know if it has a light enough tone to justify such a playful cover, so this may be too silly to work. You called it on the cheese factor.  And she is totally giving off pirate vibes Smile
Previous Covers in This Series

Demons Not Included (Night Tracker, #1)No Werewolves Allowed (Night Tracker, #2)Vampires Not Invited (Night Tracker #3)Zombies Sold Separately (Night Tracker, #4)

 

     

Hades by Alexandra Adornetto
 
(Click to enlarge)
August 30th 2011 by Feiwel & Friends       Hades (Halo #2) by Alexandra Adornetto

Description:
Even the love of her boyfriend, Xavier Woods, and her archangel siblings, Gabriel and Ivy, can’t keep the angel Bethany Church from being tricked into a motorcycle ride that ends up in Hell. There, Jake Thorn bargains for Beth’s release back to Earth. But what he asks of her will destroy her, and quite possibly her loved ones as well. Can he be trusted in this wager? And what does Jake have Xavier believing about Beth’s fate that may result in an act of betrayal that will leave Bethany – and readers – wondering if Xav is so good after all?
  • Series: Halo #2 
  • Artist: N/A
  • Goodreads: Link

  

 


No Author Comments

Pre-Order From:

Julia’s Thoughts: Thumbs down

Abigail’s Thoughts: Thumbs down

The Book Depository Oh, HALO, such a phenomenal cover and such a weird result.  And now, HADES… This cover looks like it was suggested as a joke and somehow made it into production.  The wings and flowing dress popping a wheelie as they motor off into Hades is so bizarre a concept (and so well executed a drawing) that I love it.  I have no desire to read the book, but I’d hang this picture in my house (and giggle every time I saw it). Of all the books I wish I could unread from last year, HALO is pretty high on that list.  This cover is just silly.  Which I’m guessing is going to fit perfectly with the book.
Previous Covers in This Series

Halo (Halo, #1)

     
  
Dark Souls by Paula Morris
(Click to enlarge)
August 1st 2011 by Point    Dark Souls by Paula Morris

Compare with:The Vampire Stalker

Description:

Welcome to York, England.

Mist lingers in the streets.

Narrow buildings cast long shadows

This is the most haunted city in the world. . . .

Miranda Tennant arrives in York with a terrible, tragic secret. She is eager to lose herself amid the quaint cobblestones, hoping she won’t run into the countless ghosts who supposedly roam the city. . . .

Then she meets Nick, an intense, dark-eyed boy who knows all of York’s hidden places and histories. Miranda wonders if Nick is falling for her, but she is distracted by another boy -- one even more handsome and mysterious than Nick. He lives in the house across from Miranda and seems desperate to send her some sort of message. Could this boy be one of York’s haunted souls?

Soon, Miranda realizes that something dangerous -- and deadly -- is being planned. And she may have to face the darkest part of herself in order to unravel the mystery -- and find redemption.

  • Series: N/A
  • Artist: N/A
  • Goodreads: Link

  

 


No Author Comments

Pre-Order From:

Julia’s Thoughts: Thumbs up

Abigail’s Thoughts: Thumbs down

The Book Depository I like how this cover captures a creepy city street, particularly how the title looks like a metal archway in the scene. This just looks too much like THE VAMPIRE STALKER.  Both of which are published by Point.
Previous Covers in This Series

N/A

   
  
Death Sentence by Alexander Gordon Smith
 
(Click to enlarge)
August 2nd 2011 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)        Death Sentence: Escape from Furnace 3 (Escape From Furnace #3) by Alexander Gordon Smith

Description:

Furnace Prison, where death is the least of your worries.

 
To escape, I must become one of them. We had one last shot at freedom and we failed. This time our punishment will be much worse than before. Because in the bloodstained laboratories beneath the prison lies the horrific truth behind the warden's plans. Down here, monsters are made. I'm changing: something evil is being pumped into my veins. I'm becoming one of them... a creature of Furnace. How can I escape when the Darkness is inside me?

  • Series: Escape From Furnace #3 
  • Artist: N/A
  • Goodreads: Link
  • Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
  • Release Date: August 2nd 2011
  • Source: LovLivLife Reviews

  

 


No Author Comments

Pre-Order From:

Julia’s Thoughts: Thumbs up

Abigail’s Thoughts: Thumbs up

The Book Depository Super creepy, the look in his eye and those veins are absolutely chilling.  Given the blurb, I think this cover represents the mood they’re going for, well done. That is one pissed off guy.  This gritty, violent nature of this cover seems perfect for the description.
Previous Covers in This Series

Lockdown (Escape From Furnace, #1)Solitary (Escape from Furnace, #2)

 
   
  
The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff
 

The Space Between

Description:

The story of Daphne, a half demon/half angel girl who travels from Pandemonium to Earth to find her missing brother, only to fall in love with the troubled boy who can lead her to him. Kept apart by the violent jealousies and competitiveness of the archangels, they must journey across worlds to be together.

  • Series: N/A
  • Artist: N/A
  • Goodreads: Link

  

 


No Author Comments

Pre-Order From:

Julia’s Thoughts: Thumbs up

Abigail’s Thoughts: Thumbs up

Not yet available for pre-order. I’d say the title seems oddly removed from the rest of the cover, but given the title, that may be the effect they were looking for.  I wasn’t able to find a better quality picture, but in the meantime, cautious thumbs up. My bad for the poor image quality.  I do like the colors and the Baroque detailing on the furniture etc.  Maybe it will be easier to judge the full size graphic when we get it.
Previous Covers in This Series

N/A

 
   
  
Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer
 
Wolfsbane (Witches War #2)

Compare with original:
Wolfsbane

Description:

This thrilling sequel to the much-talked-about Nightshade begins just where it ended.Calla Tor wakes up in the lair of the Searchers, her sworn enemy, and she's certain her days are numbered.


But then the Searchers make her an offer,one that gives her the chance to destroy her former masters and save the pack and the man she left behind. Is Ren worth the price of her freedom? And will Shay stand by her side no matter what? Now in control of her own destiny, Calla must decide which battles are worth fighting and how many trials true love can endure and still survive.

  • Series: Witches War #2
  • Artist: N/A
  • Goodreads: Link
  • Publisher: Philomel
  • Release Date: July 26,2011
  • Source: Tez Says

  

 


“I am enthralled by how powerful Calla is in this image and the way she resembles a wolf silhouetted by the moon is exquisite. Calla would love this cover (as would Ren and Shay *cough*).” – Andrea Cremer

Pre-Order From:

Julia’s Thoughts: Thumbs up

Abigail’s Thoughts: Thumbs down

The Book Depository I flip flop back and forth.  While I liked the original NIGHTSHADE cover much more than it’s redesign, in this case I like the new WOLFSBANE better.  The cover model’s posture and the drape of her hair are both otherworldly and lovely. Nope.  I loved the original (so did you all since it won Most Anticipated Cover for 2011 in the last Cover Art Awards). This new one is sooo generic and photoshop-y.  I’m not a fan.
Previous Covers in This Series

(Original) Nightshade (Witches War #1)  (Redesign)  Nightshade

            

       
 
Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay
 
Juliet Immortal

Description:

"These violent delights have violent ends
And in their triumph die, like fire and powder,
Which as they kiss consume."
—Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare


The most tragic love story in history . . .


Juliet Capulet didn't take her own life. She was murdered by the person she trusted most, her new husband, Romeo Montague, a sacrifice made to ensure his own immortality. But what Romeo didn't anticipate was that Juliet would be granted eternity, as well, and would become an agent for the Ambassadors of Light. For 700 years, she's fought Romeo for the souls of true lovers, struggling to preserve romantic love and the lives of the innocent. Until the day she meets someone she's forbidden to love, and Romeo, oh Romeo, will do everything in his power to destroy that love.

  • Series: N/A
  • Artist: N/A
  • Goodreads: Link
  • Publisher: Delacorte Books 
  • Release Date: Sept. 13, 2011 
  • Source: Tez Says

  

 


No Author Comment

Pre-Order From:

Julia’s Thoughts: Thumbs up

Abigail’s Thoughts: Thumbs up

The Book Depository While I’m not sure about ball-gown/ocean safety, I do like the read circled by waves.  Also, I’ve never particularly liked any story where everyone dies at the end, this sounds like one version of Romeo and Juliet that I can get excited about! The cover is very pretty in a –what-is-hot-in-YA-covers right now.  But I don’t really see how it specifically goes with Romeo and Juliet…
Previous Covers in This Series

N/A

 

  

Enshadowed by Kelly Creagh
 
 Enshadowed (Nevermore, #2)

Description:

While Varen remains a prisoner in the dream-world, Isobel is haunted by his memory. He appears to her in her dreams and soon, even in her waking life. But is she just imagining it? Isobel knows she must find a way back to Varen. She makes plans to go to Baltimore. There, she confronts the figure known throughout the world as the Poe Toaster—the same dark man who once appeared to Isobel in her dreams, calling himself "Reynolds."

Isobel succeeds in interrupting the Toaster's ritual and, in doing so, discovers a way to return to the dream-world. Soon, she finds herself swept up in a realm which not only holds remnants of Poe's presence, but has also now taken on the characteristics of Varen's innermost self. It is a dark world comprised of fear, terror, and anger.


When Isobel once more encounters Varen, she finds him changed. With his mind poisoned by the dream world, he becomes a malevolent force, bent on destroying all—even himself. Now Isobel must face a new adversary, one who also happens to be her greatest love.

  • Series: Nevermore #2
  • Artist: N/A
  • Goodreads: Link

  

 


No Author Comment

Pre-Order From:

Julia’s Thoughts: Thumbs up

Abigail’s Thoughts: Thumbs up

Not yet available for pre-order. I’m on the fence about this one.  It doesn’t have that “creepy guy” impact, and lacking that, it doesn’t have much else.  Despite being rather forgettable, I give it a thumbs up. I feel the same way.  We really need to get a neutral thumb icon.
Previous Covers in This Series

Nevermore

 

  

A Touch of Crimson by Sylvia Day
 
October 4th 2011 by Signet (first published October 2011)      A Touch of Crimson (Renegade Angels #1) by Sylvia Day

Description:

Adrian Mitchell is an angel of immense power and insatiable desire. Leading an elite Special Ops unit of the Seraphim, his task is to punish the Fallen—angels who have become vampires—and command a restless pack of indentured lycans.


But Adrian has suffered his own punishment for becoming involved with mortals—losing the woman he loves again and again. Now, after nearly two hundred years, he has found her—Shadoe, her soul once more inhabiting a new body with no memory of him. Only this time he won’t let her go.


With no memory of her past as Shadoe, Lindsay Gibson only knows she can't help being fiercely attracted to the smoldering, seductive male who crosses her path. Swept into a dangerous world of tumultuous passion and preternatural conflict, Lindsay is soon caught in the middle between her angel lover, her vampire father, and a full-blown lycan revolt. There's more at stake than her love and her life—this time she could lose her very soul...

  • Series: Renegade Angels #1
  • Artist: N/A
  • Goodreads: Link

  

 


No Author Comment

Pre-Order From:

Julia’s Thoughts: Thumbs up

Abigail’s Thoughts: Thumbs up

The Book Depository It’s the Fonz with wings!  And, oh, what wings.  I love, love, love that gorgeous arc of feathers, just touched with crimson.  Completely swoonworthy. Nice.  His wings look a bit like a headdress, but overall I’m intrigued.
Previous Covers in This Series

N/A

 
   

And our picks for Best & Worst…

Best

Worst

Angels5535537122_7dfc74def3 Alterant5529835148_cc12aa46be
Which are your Best and Worst?

8 comments:

  1. Wow, some of those covers were intense. I really like the Death Sentence one, really gritty. But I agree on the Best & Worst though. That Hades one looks a little cartoonish, maybe it would work better as a graphic novel cover (tiny maybe). Still, great post, I need to add some of these. Thank you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thrilled you like the A Touch of Crimson cover. I love it. The artist is the fabulous Tony Mauro, who gave me a 16 x 20 signed print of the cover (without the font on it, just Adrian). I'll be giving it away on my site. (I have one of my own framed on my office wall. It's gorgeous!)

    Thank you for the mention!
    Sylvia Day

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sylvia - I am very excited to read your work and I had a feeling Tony Mauro was the author. His stuff is amazing. I have his 2011 When Darkness Falls calendar, all of the pictures are beautiful and dark. Really great stuff and I would love to get my hands on that cover. I will keep in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry, but the cover model on Crossroads looks like she's gonna say "Wazzup," and do the sort of head-nod-chin-lift thing. Not cool. And they must have used a Barbie for the Hades cover, because that's just how she would sit on a motorcycle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new cover model for Frost's books still looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Vagabond - HADES is completely cartoonish! I can see how it matches HALO, but I can't believe they go together.

    @Sylvia- I'm heading over to win the enter the contest, I would love to hang this angel on my wall.

    @Rubita - Snorted coffee up my nose on the chin-lift comment, thank heavens, as if I'd still been drinking by the time I got to the Barbie reference I would have choked.

    @Shera - She does have a cute look, it's always hard switching actors in the middle of a series. Unless you're playing Darren on Bewitched, apparently nobody notices him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the covers to:
    Death Sentence by Alexander Gordon Smith
    Enshadowed by Kelly Creagh

    I haven't read Halo yet but the cover to Hades by Alexandra Adornetto is awful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo these covers are awesome and now I have several more series to check out especially Escape from the Furnace. A Touch of Crimson and The Space Between look really cool too.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About ATUF

Started in 2009, All Things Urban Fantasy is the place 'Where Para is Normal'. This your one stop for all things Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Paranormal YA, & select Speculative Fiction titles (Dystopian and Steampunk etc.). Want to know more about ATUF? Read the About page.

If you are an author, publisher, or publicist that would like a book reviewed on this site please Request a Review. All inquires are welcome.

Interviews? Guest blogs? Giveaways? Book Tours? Promotion of any kind? Contact us

Follow ATUF

Current Giveaways

Mouseover for details & click to enter giveaway

More coming soon

See our Giveaway Policy

Upcoming Guests

Want to be a guest? Fill out our Guest Request Form

Recent Comments

Grab Our Button

All Things Urban Fantasy

Sites & Info

Blog Archive

Labels

Copyright Text