Book Description: Business has never been better for hit man Karl Vance. Boston is awash in mafia blood, and as a master vampire, Vance has a certain fondness for blood. He’s sworn to never again feed on the blood of innocents, preying instead on the criminal underworld. Which makes him a valuable asset to those who deal in death. Maria Ricardi intends to use that asset to its full extent in order to gain power within her patriarchal crime family. Vance thinks he’s been hired to keep track of her, but she’s got a plan to earn the respect she deserves. And she’s not above using their instant attraction to get what she wants. Her ambition draws the attention of a rival clans most dangerous consultant. Alejandro Delgado, Vance’s centuries-old nemesis. Delgado zeroes in on the one chink in Vance’s armor his fondness for Maria. Now she’s enslaved by Delgado’s unnatural kiss. Only one thing is certain. Vance has to decide which he wants more. To settle the score or rescue her soul.
Review: If The Godfather or The Departed had vampires, they would probably feel a lot like Blood Vice.
It was a beautiful night for murder, but wet work was wet work and had to be done regardless of conditions. –Blood Vice
This was the first book that I’ve read that came with a warning printed in bright red ink on the back cover:
Warning: Intense, graphic mafia-related violence, profanity, gangster slang, assassinations, fang punctures, explicit vampire sex, betrayal, greed, murder, gangland warfare, pervasive supernatural mayhem, large-scale explosions, and extremely expensive Italian suits.
With that warning in mind, I was a bit leery as I started Blood Vice. I wasn’t sure if this book would be an assault on its readers from start to finish. But not to worry, this was a fun mafia infused vampire tale. And the warning is only partially accurate.
Vance is a hitman par excellence for hire, using his vampire skills to eliminate the corrupt and criminal members of humanity, and what better way to do than working for the mob. When mob princess Maria starts calling the hits, she and Vance form a lethal team, one that attracts the unwanted attention of not just rival Families, but Vance’s nemesis as well. The vampire Alejandro is more than willing to hit Vance where it will hurt the most, and despite Vance’s attempts to keep Maria at arms length, she’s become important to him in a very dangerous way. As if that isn’t enough for Vance, the Order of the Thorn has come to visit:
Even predators have predators. The Thorn is humanity’s answer to the supernatural beings that prey upon it. Thorn knights are trained to execute vampires, weres, sorcerers, half-breed demons and all manner of supernatural threats with ruthless efficiency. They use a wide array of weapons depending on their target, from low-tech silver-sheathed swords to high-powered assault rifles with special ammo. While the Thorn is dedicated to eradicating threats to humanity, there are times when a supernatural creature can earn clemency, but always under strict conditions. Violation of the terms means an instant death sentence. The Order of Thorn was formed after the fall of Camelot, gathering knights and mages sworn to protect humankind from any shadow of evil. The Order is an extremely secretive knighthood with strict hierarchies, wealth that surpasses that of the Vatican, and a global reach. –KeithMelton.com
I loved this concept of the Thorn and would have liked to have seen more of an emphasis on them in Blood Vice, but it sounds like they will play a more prominent role in Book Two of The Nightfall Syndicate. Here’s hoping.
As for the character of Vance, he is more of a classic vampire than we often read in this genre. Coffins, crucifixes, and sunlight all play a part in his life. What isn’t as common is how he was portrayed as having a conscience. His self-loathing balanced with a hard won acceptance of reality was fascinating to read about. He would brutally dispatch a human and afterwards endure the pain of kneeling on Holy Ground to offer a prayer for the life he had just taken. He never prayed for himself though, he knew he was damned and didn’t see the point, but he would pray for every life he took.
Maria was a bit annoying for me and I found it difficult to sympathize with her as a wannabe mob leader. She had no problem whatsoever with any of the corrupt goings on within her Family, whether racketeering, murder, or prostitution. She only wanted her piece of the pie. The chapters told from her perspective were my least favorite.
All in all this was a fun read, a bit different than the usual urban fantasy, but not in a bad way. Full of Wise Guys and Mob politics. There is a lot of action in this book, and while there is an element of romance, it isn’t nearly as prominent as the blurb would have you believe. This book is about killing people in bloody and creative ways, and even more than that, its about vengeance.
Sexual Content:References to rape, one brief semi-graphic sex scene Disclosure: I received this book for review courtesy of Keith Melton.
Product Details
Paperback: 280 pages
- Publisher: Samhain Publishing (December 1, 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1605044415
- ISBN-13: 978-1605044415
- Cover art by Anne Cain
Disagree with my review? Email me your review for this or any other book I reviewed and I might use it for 2nd Opinion Review
Giveaway Details:
A copy of Blood Vice by Keith Melton
GIVEAWAY GUIDELINES
- Open US residents only
- Must be a follower or subscribe via email (right sidebar)
- You must include your email - [at] [dot] is fine
- Leave a comment telling me how I can improve my blog: a feature you would like to see; a meme I should participate in; more of a focus on something. WHATEVER. Just tell me something you’d like to see.
- Entries must be received by Midnight MST on Wednesday January 20th




















Please count me in. Thanks for the chance. I would like to see some urban fantasy movie reviews. Thats the only thing I could think of. I love your blog.
ReplyDeletelizzi0915 at aol dot com
I'm a follower, sounds like a great new read! tWarner419@aol.com
ReplyDeleteGood Morning!
ReplyDeleteI am a follower mdwartistry at yahoo dot com
My only suggestion would be maybe some optional music? I am just starting to play with that on my site. Nothing that auto plays... but a theme song for each post. So we can play it to get in synch with your mood.
Happy Friday!
Miranda
Abigail, have been seeing this particular book as a release and this is the first review have found. Thanks for the breakdown, Keith is fun to follow on Twitter and think this book might reflect that some.
ReplyDeleteI am a US resident, a follower on email and RSS feed
How can you improve the blog? ( can't it is user friendly with the excellently planned setup you have now). I would like to see a weekly poll of some kind maybe vote for best book of certain author or what we would most like to see you review.
jacabur2008[at]gmail[dot]com
jackie b central texas
Great contest. Please enter me in. I am a follower.
ReplyDeletestephaniet117(at)yahoo(dot)com
One thing I really like to see on blogs is if they feature "older" books, and by that I just mean books that may have come out a few years ago that not a lot of people know about. It's nice to get new ideas for books.
This book sounds very interesting and like a nice break from my usual read.
ReplyDeleteAs for a suggestion for your blog. I really love it, though I agree with jacabur that maybe a weekly poll or something like that would be nice.
I'm a US resident and follower
mandan513(at)hotmail(dot)com
This sounds like a great book. I love the comparison of Godfather and Departed (two of my favorite movies) having vamps in them. Love it!
ReplyDeleteI enjoy reading your blog on a daily basis. So, as for something new I'd like to see, I can't think of anything. My favorite parts of your blog are the book reviews. That just helps make my TBR pile even bigger.
rosie0512 @ hotmail . com
Hi! I would like to see a ratings system in your reviews (4 out of 5 stars, etc).
ReplyDeleteI follow!
tiahmichelle@gmail.com
Don't enter me into the giveaway as I have read it, but I wanted to comment and agree with you. I really enjoyed this book. It was really interesting and a nice break from my usual cast of female UF authors! Can't wait for the sequel!
ReplyDeleteThis book sounds very cool. Definitely count me in.
ReplyDeleteAs for improving the blog... I personally think there's a little too much stuff on the two outer columns of the blog. It's just too much to take in all at once sometimes. (This is obviously a personal preference...)
Sara M
sara_UFblog [at] yahoo [dot] com
Great review, The book sounds great and would love to read it :)
ReplyDeleteTo improve blog: Your Blog overall is already great as is, but maybe you can add a top 10 book list for certain categories? Ex( your top 10 for UF, Dark Fantasy, Paranormal YA...etc) I would really love to see what you would recommend and it can also help viewers discover new authors.
thanks for the contest!
Van P.
Littopandaxpress(at)yahoo(dot)com
-Blog follower
- Email Subscriber
Sounds really good.
ReplyDeleteI am a follower.
I really like your blog as it is. Some of my favorite features are new authors or new releases. So maybe add a couple more of those when you find them.
bacchus76 at myself dot com
Sounds like a good story! I'm a follower and I'd love a copy. I like your blog just as it is.
ReplyDeleteLadytink_534(at)yahoo(dot)com
Loved your review Abigail! I really enjoyed Blood Vice myself, especially the intertwining of the mafia culture with the vamps. I felt the same about Maria but I liked her at the end. Glad you like the book. :)
ReplyDeletePS: Don't enter me for the contest.
Your site has a lot of info & I don't know how else it can improve. It's awesome!!! I love the Features.
ReplyDeleteki mi ka io @ yahoo.com (no spaces)
Aloha,
ReplyDeleteI am a US resident, a follower, and I subscribe.
In all honesty, you blog is WHOOop WHOOop.... awesome as is!! You have all the features I love.
Recent posts, list of authors, TBR list, subscribe via email, etc.
But I can think of one thing I would love to see, personally. I love your reviews and posts and book selections. Therefore, I am thinking your music selections must also be top of the line.
With that said, perhaps a playlist of the music you love.
I am fairly new to blogging. I am not sure if you have done this before or plan to.
Just a suggestion!
BTW, this book looks awesome and something I have not read within this genre!!!
Crap, I forgot my email:
ReplyDeletehonu_369 (at) yahoo (dot) com
You paint wonderful pictures with your words and I enjoy the fantasies. I am of course a follower, my email is mystic2awesome@comcast.com or you could just google mystic2awesome to see what I'm all about.
ReplyDeleteThe comparisons to movies is a great feature to put me in "the mood" for a good read. The only thing I would like to see is maybe a "second chance" to become best sellers for some older books published by these wonderful Artists of words.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteCount me in, following you now.
ReplyDeleteAs far as seeing something...mot sure if you do this or not, but maybe do the "in my mailbox" thing to show off new books.
Lastrideusa AT yahoo DOT com
I love your blog and the reviews help me decide which book I want to buy next. Just keep up the great work your are aleady doing and you will be great.
ReplyDeleteI am a follower and subscriber
USA Resident
misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com
Maybe more graphic novels. I do love me some comic books, but something with a more urban fantasy spin would be cool.
ReplyDeleteI am a follower & get the e-mails.
heatwave96(at)hotmail.com
Please enter me! I've been wanting to read this one. I am a follower.
ReplyDeleteI would like to see a rating system on your blog. You could do bats! Or tombstones LOL
thebookvixen at gmail dot com
justpeachy36@yahoo.com
ReplyDeletePlease enter me in the giveaway.
Honestly, I really like your blog a lot. Since I am a huge Urban Fantasy fan it's nice to find a blog that specializes as much as yours does. I can't think of a lot that you should change. Maybe a more colorful layout.. I love the header though!
I enjoy your blog and I can't really think of any way you can improve it - the one thing I'd pick from the poll would be to have weekly polls, I enjoy them.
ReplyDeleteFrom your review, this book sounds like an entertaining read, and I'd love to win it.
I'm a follower and a US resident (Florida).
Barbed1951(at)aol(dot)com
I am a follower.
ReplyDeleteI think a rating system would be great.
Raelena
throuthehaze at gmail dot com
I think personally I'd like to see a little bit less stuff in the side columns.
ReplyDeleteBlood Vice sounds good and I'm glad you mentioned the warning; it made me a bit hesitant to pick this up upon reading, so thanks for clarifying.
Biki
chichai_hana at hotmail dot com
I love your blog and please enter me in your contest.
ReplyDeleteI would love a post comment link at the top of the comments as well as at the bottom. I also think the front page is a little busy. I love all the info but maybe cleaned up a bit. Keep up the reviews. Thank you, Debbie
debbiej@cfl.rr.com
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteRecently I joined my first book challenge and really am enjoying it. Maybe you could do one of those.
ReplyDeleteIm a follower
usignolc(at)yahooDOTcom
Thanks for sharing your review. I am looking forward to reading Blood Vice.
ReplyDeleteOverall, your blog is very nicely done. I love the gray and black colors. The purple links are also a nice accent. I would left justify your about me section, it is a bit hard to read centered. Maybe a little less centering overall. But that is it :)
robin@intensewhisper.com
You have a great blog! Maybe add some reader suggested older books for review?
ReplyDeleteU.S. Resident, Follower & Subscriber
gcwhiskas at aol dot com
The only suggestion I can think of is maybe a section for readers' reviews. Maybe once a month, as a regular poster to review a book.
ReplyDeleteI'm a follower.
I'm a US resident
Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 AT gmail DOT com
Please enter me into the contest.
ReplyDeleteThe only advice I can give you is to make it easy for people to find things on the blog. Other than that I love it. I love the header as well.
I'm follower!
ReplyDeleteI would like to see more older book reviews.
kalynnick AT yahoo DOT com
Please put my name in the hat. I am already a follower. I live in the U.S. I am not sure what I could add to your blog. I believe you have everything that all the good blogs have. Everything is very neat and in place and labeled. Great reviews and great quests. Keep it the way it is. I love it!!!
ReplyDeleteJudy (magnolias_1@msn.com)
I'm a US follower, and I'd love to see the suggested top-10 lists of sub-genre picks. I'm always looking for quick references to new reads I might like to try out.
ReplyDeleteleighofthestone(at)yahoo(dot)com