29 May 2012

Cover Art Coverage: 12 New Titles!

A brand new permutation of comments today, Abigail and Kristina had both posted comments before I arrived on the scene, but left the Best/Worst to me.  Teamwork!  I loved the sinister shadow of DUALED, there was no hesitation on my favorite (and given how often I complain about overly Photoshopped dudes, my least favorite should not be a surprise).

Dualed (Dualed #1)
by Elsie Chapman

Expected publication: February 26, 2013 by Random House

Source: A Good Addiction Art by: N/A

Previous Covers:
N/A

Buy/Add links:
Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

Description:

Would you live through the ultimate test of survival?

The city of Kersh is a safe haven, but the price of safety is high. Everyone has a genetic Alternate—a twin raised by another family—and citizens must prove their worth by eliminating their Alts before their twentieth birthday. Survival means advanced schooling, a good job, marriage—life.

Fifteen-year-old West Grayer has trained as a fighter, preparing for the day when her assignment arrives and she will have one month to hunt down and kill her Alt. But then a tragic misstep shakes West’s confidence. Stricken with grief and guilt, she’s no longer certain that she’s the best version of herself, the version worthy of a future. More…

Author Comments
Abigail’s ThoughtsThumbs up
Kristina’s ThoughtsThumbs up

N/A

It's the subtly that's making this cover so good.  The way her arms are posed differently in the shadow.  And I love how gritty and industrial the background looks. Even without the description, this cover alone would sell me. 

Definitely got the gritty industrial vibe from this too.I like the shadow looming out from under her as it plays on the whole Alternate subject in the description.

 

House Rules (Chicagoland Vampires #7)

by Chloe Neill

Expected publication: February 2013 by NAL Penguin

Source: A Book Obsession Art by: Tony Mauro

Previous Covers:
Some Girls Bite Friday Night Bites Twice Bitten Hard Bitten Drink Deep Biting Cold

Buy/Add links:
Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide 

Description:

In a city full of vampires, trouble never sleeps.

At the tender age of 27, Merit became a sword-wielding vampire. Since then, she’s become the protector of her House, watched Chicago nearly burn to the ground, and seen her Master fall and rise. Now she’ll see her mettle—and her metal —tested like never before.

It started with two . . . Two rogues vanishing without a trace. Someone is targeting Chicago’s vampires, and anyone could be next. More…

Author Comments
Abigail’s ThoughtsThumbs up
Kristina’s ThoughtsThumbs up

N/A

I think this is my favorite so far. Tony Mauro also does Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin covers and that is very apparent here, but the whole look from the colors and composition is so fierce and sexy at the same time. 

I agree this does look very fierce and sexy. I also like the Cadogan House gate making an appearance as Merit goes out on patrol. Very nice touch.

 

The Dead and Buried

by Kim Harrington

Expected publication: January 1, 2013 by Scholastic Point

Source: Author’s Blog Art by: N/A

Previous Covers:
N/A

Buy/Add links:
Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide 

Description:

Jade loves the house she's just moved into with her family. She doesn't even mind being the new girl at the high school: It's a fresh start, and there's that one guy with the dreamy blue eyes. . . . But then things begin happening. Strange, otherworldly things. Jade's little brother claims to see a glimmering girl in his room. Jade's jewelry gets moved around, as if by an invisible hand. Kids at school whisper behind her back like they know something she doesn't.

Soon, Jade must face an impossible fact: that her perfect house is haunted. Haunted by a ghost who's seeking not just vengeance, but the truth. The ghost of a girl who ruled Jade's school -- until her untimely death last year. More…

Author Comments
Abigail’s ThoughtsThumbs up
Kristina’s ThoughtsThumbs up

“I love the cover so much that I screamed and clapped when I saw it.”

Love the spooky vibe and the perspective of her looking down at us is chilling.

Scary! I especially like that the image is crooked looking enhancing the creepy factor.

 

Death’s Angel (Lost Angels #3)

by Heather Killough-Walden

Expected publication: January 1, 2013 by Signet

Source: Book Chick City Art by: N/A

Previous Covers:
Avenger's Angel Messenger's Angel

Buy/Add links:
Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide 

Description:

N/A

Author Comments
Abigail’s ThoughtsThumbs down
Kristina’s ThoughtsThumbs down

N/A

I'm hoping this is a mistake or something.  This looks like some terrible self-pub cover gone wrong, and it looks nothing like the previous covers. 

I liked the previous two covers in this series. Why is this one so different? Its boring.

 

Devil Said Bang (Sandman Slim #4)

by Richard Kadrey

Expected publication: August 28, 2012 by Harper Voyager

Source: The Mad Hatter’s Bookshelf & Book Review
Art by: N/A

Previous Covers:
Sandman Slim Kill the Dead Aloha from Hell

Buy/Add links:
Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

Description:

While ruling the denizens of darkness does have a few perks, James Stark isn’t exactly thrilled at the course his career (not to mention his soul) has taken. Breaking out of Hell once was a miraculous trick. But twice? If anyone can do it, it’s Sandman Slim. While he’s working out the details of his latest escape plan, Slim has to figure out how to run his new domain and hold off a host of trigger-happy killers mesmerized by that bullseye on his back. Everyone in Heaven, Hell, and in between wants to be the fastest gun in the universe, and the best way to prove it is to take down the new Lucifer, aka Sandman Slim aka James Stark. More…

Author Comments
Abigail’s ThoughtsThumbs up
Kristina’s ThoughtsThumbs up

N/A

This vintage cool. I love how the handlebars mimic the flourish surrounding the series name. Awesome looking! I really like the light encircling the motorcycle and rider.

 

Quantum Coin (Coin #2)

by E. C. Myers

Expected publication: October 2, 2012 by Pyr

Source: E. C. Myers Art by: Sam Weber

Previous Covers:
Fair Coin (Coin, #1)

Buy/Add links:
Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

Description:

N/A

Author Comments
Abigail’s ThoughtsThumbs up
Kristina’s ThoughtsThumbs up

“I could gush about this thing, but I’d rather let you tell me what you think.”

I'm a big fan of Sam Weber, and I think this is a very nice compliment to the first cover. The super subdued colors are great here.

It does compliment well with the previous cover. I like diagonal dividing lines. It draws the to the cover.

 

Days of Blood and Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #2)

by Laini Taylor

Expected publication: November 6, 2012 by Little, Brown & Company

BLOOD-STARLIGHT

Source: Entertainment Weekly Art by: N/A

Previous Covers:
Daughter of Smoke and Bone ...

Buy/Add links:
Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

Description:

In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed "Daughter of Smoke and Bone," Karou must come to terms with who and what she is, and how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, mysteries and secrets, new characters and old favorites, Days of Blood and Starlight brings the richness, color and intensity of the first book to a brand new canvas.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone was declared a "must read" by Entertainment Weekly, was named a Best Book of the Year by Amazon.com, and The New York Times called it "a breath-catching romantic fantasy."

Author Comments
Abigail’s ThoughtsThumbs up
Kristina’s ThoughtsThumbs up

N/A

Big improvement over the debut while still keeping with the series style.  The painted on mask looks much better than the floating first mask.

I really like the painted mask. Its much more detailed than the one on the first cover.

 

Lover’s Instinct (Moon Shifter #1.5)

by Katie Reus

Expected publication: August 7, 2012 by Signet

Source: Author’s Blog Art by: N/A

Previous Covers:
Alpha Instinct (Moon Shifte...

Buy/Add links:
 

Description:

N/A

Author Comments
Abigail’s ThoughtsThumbs up
Kristina’s ThoughtsThumbs up

N/A

Love when publishers create new art for novellas.  This one is actually maybe even better than the full length covers.

I would have liked to see her face. It looks kind of odd with half of it cut off. But its a nice cover and ties in well with the full lenght cover.

 

Monster in My Closet

by R. L. Naquin

Expected publication: July 30, 2012 by Carina Press

Source: Book Chick City Art by: Frauke Spanuth

Previous Covers:
N/A

Buy/Add links:
 

Description:

I stopped believing in monsters long ago. But I knew I wasn’t imagining things when I found one in my kitchen baking muffins. I’d seen him before: lurking in my closet, scaring the crap out of my five-year-old self. Turns out that was a misunderstanding, and now Maurice needs a place to stay. How could I say no?

After all, I’ve always been a magnet for the emotionally needy, and not just in my work as a wedding planner. Being able to sense the feelings of others can be a major pain. Don’t get me wrong, I like helping people—and non-people. But this ability has turned me into a gourmet feast for an incubus, a demon that feeds off emotional energy. Now, brides are dropping dead all over town, and my home has become a safe house for the supernatural. More…

Author Comments
Abigail’s ThoughtsThumbs up
Kristina’s ThoughtsThumbs up

N/A

I really like these bright, acid colors. But I really love that her weapon of choice is a toilet bowl brush. That's resourceful.

I love the detail on her dress with little monsters on it! And I did not notice the toilet bowl brush at first. Nice touch.

 

Dearly, Beloved (Gone With the Respiration #2)

by Lia Habel

Expected publication: September 25, 2012 by Del Rey Books

Dearly, Beloved (Gone With the Respiration #2)

Source: Bloody Bookaholic Art by: N/A

Previous Covers:
Dearly, Departed (Gone With...

Buy/Add links:
Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

Description:

N/A

Author Comments
Abigail’s ThoughtsThumbs up
Kristina’s ThoughtsThumbs up

N/A

I really like the lace/gear overlay and the title design is as gorgeous as the debut. I prefer this closeup to the half figure from the debut too.

The lace detail is nice and kind of connects to the parasol on the cover of the first book. Both covers have a pretty elegance to them.

 

A Trace of Moonlight (Abby Sinclair #3)

by Allison Pang

Expected publication: October 30, 2012 by Pocket

Source: Author’s Blog Art by: N/A

Previous Covers:
A Brush of Darkness A Sliver of Shadow

Buy/Add links:
Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

Description:

Drinking from the waters of the Lethe and offering herself up as Faerie’s sacrificial Tithe …these just might be the least of Abby Sinclair’s problems.

Abby’s pact with a demon—whether or not she remembers making it—is binding, so she’d better count herself lucky that (in the words of a daemon who knows better) there’s nearly always a loophole. But her friends’ reckless attempts to free her, well intentioned though they may be, set off a disastrous chain of events. In no time at all, Abby turns her incubus lover mortal and gets herself killed, cursed, and married to an elven prince whose mother wants her dead.  More…

Author Comments
Abigail’s ThoughtsThumbs up
Kristina’s ThoughtsThumbs up

“Hope you love it as much as I do!”

I love how fit Abby looks and I'm a big fan of the soft greens. The pose looks a little uncomfortable, but overall, I think the covers for this series keep getting better. The soft tones are nice. I especially like the sparkles floating around her and her purple highlights.

 

Elixir (Covenant #3.5)

by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Expected publication: November 2012 by Spencer Hill Press

Elixir (Covenant, #3.5)

Source: Goodreads Art by: N/A

Previous Covers:
Half-Blood (Covenant, #1)Pure (Covenant, #2)Deity (Covenant, #3)

Buy/Add links:
 

Description:

Aiden's novella

Aiden St. Delphi will do anything to save Alex.
Even if it means doing the one thing he will never forgive himself for.
Even if it means making war against the gods.

Author Comments
Abigail’s ThoughtsThumbs up
Kristina’s ThoughtsThumbs up

N/A

It's a slight change up to use water this time, but the effect is really lovely, especially with the silver/gray background.

I like the water outlining the shape of the flower. Definitely stands out from the rest of the series using color and smoke for the flowers.

 

And our picks for Best & Worst…

Best Worst
Dualed Heather-Killough-Walden-Deaths-Angel-US

Which are your Best and Worst?


Have a cover we should include in an upcoming post? Or want us to reveal a cover? Fill out our Cover Submit form

6 comments:

  1. For 'DUALED', I agree with Abigail and Kristina's thoughts on the cover. The book cover totally have "buy me" screaming out to the audience. Very nice cover! I read the description and knew right away that this book would be a must read! You have to prove you're worthy by eliminating your Alternate twin! Do you have what it takes to eliminate someone that looks exactly like you??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loathe the Trace of Moonlight cover. What a bad angle to shoot a not so great looking model. Her face doesn't look interesting in the least.
    they could have just asked any of my cousins to place a hand on the wall and take their pictures.

    LOVE:
    Elixir--what a creative cover. It's clean, clear, simple yet complex. It's neat and beautiful. Bravo!!!
    Days of Blood & Moonlight--that model gave good face. Fierce. It reminds me of how Natalie Portman would give the side eye in Black Swan. Beautiful, mysterious, intriguing. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I forgot to pick my Best & Worst :) But I'm with you on both counts, Julia. Good stuff this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Earthling...
    Q: what's the MOST important objective
    N our lifelong demise determined by us?
    A: achieving Seventh-Heaven: in the
    Great Beyond, everythang is possible.

    When our eternal soul leaves our body at death
    and we riseabove to meet our Maker,
    only four, last things remain:
    death, judgement, Heaven or Hell
    according to the deeds WEE mortals
    have done in our Finite Existence.
    Find-out what RCIA means and join.

    PS° I'm a re-boot NDE:
    if you're RIGHT,
    you'll see the LIGHT -
    follow that to the Elysian Fields.
    Let's be tethered2forever Upstairs.

    Make Your Choice -SAW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Earthling...
    Q: what's the MOST important objective
    N our lifelong demise determined by us?
    A: achieving Seventh-Heaven: in the
    Great Beyond, everythang is possible.

    When our eternal soul leaves our body at death
    and we riseabove to meet our Maker,
    only four, last things remain:
    death, judgement, Heaven or Hell
    according to the deeds WEE mortals
    have done in our Finite Existence.
    Find-out what RCIA means and join.

    PS° I'm a re-boot NDE:
    if you're RIGHT,
    you'll see the LIGHT -
    follow that to the Elysian Fields.
    Let's be tethered2forever Upstairs.

    Make Your Choice -SAW

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About ATUF

Started in 2009, All Things Urban Fantasy is the place 'Where Para is Normal'. This your one stop for all things Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Paranormal YA, & select Speculative Fiction titles (Dystopian and Steampunk etc.). Want to know more about ATUF? Read the About page.

If you are an author, publisher, or publicist that would like a book reviewed on this site please Request a Review. All inquires are welcome.

Interviews? Guest blogs? Giveaways? Book Tours? Promotion of any kind? Contact us

Follow ATUF

Current Giveaways

Mouseover for details & click to enter giveaway

More coming soon

See our Giveaway Policy

Upcoming Guests

Want to be a guest? Fill out our Guest Request Form

Recent Comments

Grab Our Button

All Things Urban Fantasy

Sites & Info

Blog Archive

Labels

Copyright Text